Water Blaster Hall of Fame - ^

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:13 am

Water Blaster Hall of Fame @ iSoaker.com

This page was created as a tribute to various ground-breaking water weaponry that iSoaker.com currently knows about.

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:59 am

Good listing. I didn't know there was a water pistol made in the 1800s, very cool.

The XP BackFire needs to be on there. It was famous too, in its own way.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 pm

The XP Backfire needs to be on there? :oo: Famous (more like infamous) as one of the most poorly designed water blasters of its time? I'd rather leave it off the list. :goofy:

Dr. D

Post by Dr. D » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:43 am

Uh oh, the link isn't working, I'm getting a server error message.....

I just really hope the EES's are on there. Think of all the ground they broke in the realm crappy, underpowered, high-selling Hasbro guns? It ushered in a new era that we still unfortunately find ourselves in today..... :(
n00b friend: "Nice SP 270!"
Me: "Uhh, it's
XP."
n00b friend: "Oh yeah! Nice SP 270 XP!"

Current Official USF Armory: Monster X, CPS 4100, CPS 2500 (shotgun), CPS 2100 (x3), CPS 1500, CPS 1200 (x3), CPS 1000, MI Flash Flood (x3) STE Flash Flood (x2) WW Orca

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:02 am

Dr. D wrote:Uh oh, the link isn't working, I'm getting a server error message.....

I just really hope the EES's are on there. Think of all the ground they broke in the realm crappy, underpowered, high-selling Hasbro guns? It ushered in a new era that we still unfortunately find ourselves in today..... :(
Link should be working now. Server had a ~10 minute hiccup. No EES is on there. :goofy:

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:09 am

Prity nice page. But isoaker, there is a 70-80 year evolutionary gap between the 19 century and the 80s. :goofy:
What happened to the squirt pistols and the pistons?

Edited By ZOCCOZ on 1183615787

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:13 am

I feel kinda sad seeing those Water Warriors guns;
Blazer, Scorpion, up there next to the MXL, CPS2000, although I guess they're revolutionary in their own way. It's a great site though, very informative and fun to read.

Maybe the next page should be...
Water Blasters, Hall of Infamy?

Just a suggestion :-P ~

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:09 am

What happened to the squirt pistols and the pistons?

Well, I never said the page was finished nor totally comprehensive. :goofy:

In terms of squirt pistols and pistons, I'm still trying to dig more info on the earliest models that used the trigger-pump; without a name, I cannot give recognition to a particular water gun. Also, I'm looking for pictures I can use with proper permission (thankfully, I can now post up images of my own Cosmic Liquidator which I only acquired recently). Speaking of pistons, the Steady Stream should be added to that page, too.

The time gap is unfortunate, but without the proper info to add, putting down "squirt pistol" or "piston gun" as a water gun name to be recognized is not appropriate for the Water Blaster Hall of Fame @ iSoaker.com Of course, if you have names, release dates, and such, I'm totally open to adding in missing water guns.

As for a Hall of Infamy... maybe one of these days... :;):

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:58 pm

Nothing specific in model# here. I do know that after the bulb squirt gun from the 19th century, there was an odd WWII water pistol. The guy on ebay who sold it had no clue how to use it. It was all tin and didn't use a spring trigger or a bulb.
I do think that the first squirt pistol with the spring trigger came round the late 40s early 50s also made out of tin.

Perhaps we should add the first pump cannons or squirt pistols with functional magazines. Now that I can provide.

Edited By ZOCCOZ on 1183672708

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:02 am

This appears to be a squirt pistol-type gun, with a backpack reservoir. The listing says that it is from the '50s... has anyone heard of a backpack being used before the '50s?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....=1&rd=1

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:11 am

Old water gun patent This one dates to April 9, 1929, but I am still searching if there are older ones. Granted, just because a patent exists does not necessarily mean that an actual product was derived from it.

@ZOCCOZ: if you can provide some info, I'd be interested in adding it to the page.

@cobalex297: neat find on eBay! Sadly, my knowledge of water gun history is rather lacking.

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:33 pm

I'm considering making a bid or two. If i win, i'll most likely send one out of those two in for review, if that's allright... it seems like it'd be cool to have at least a soaker from each decade; as a goal i mean.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:36 pm

I can fill in a bit from memory. I have done extremely extensive searching of the patent database.

Squeeze-type water guns I have seen go back to the late 1800s. I'll have to pull up my spreadsheet of patents later, but I remember one from 1877. The USA Liquid Pistol is definitely one of the oldest if not the oldest, but I think there are a few older ones. It may be the oldest manufactured one.

Earliest piston water guns I remember were 1900s-1920s. I remember something about these being used in initiation ceremonies in fraternities and secret clubs... though that is sketchy.

The earliest things that could be used as air pressure water guns are air pressure pesticide sprayers. Some of the earliest water gun patents reference this.

Earlier CPS patents go back to the 70s and they were all fast-fill types until Larami got into the game. A New York Times editorial however also noted that in the 60s at MIT latex rubber tubing was used to create water guns also. I remember reading a thing or two about some early fast-fill type products too. I'll have to pull up the files I saved later to get the complete information.

I never heard of Aqua Force by Ohio Art, however, there is a 1964 patent of a squirt pistol with a backpack. I don't have the exact patent number at the moment, but when you find it you'll know what I'm talking about. I also have seen small backpack water guns from the 60s made by Park Plastics on eBay. If you know your water guns (and most of you don't know much aside from the past 10 years, you know that Park Plastics was the biggest water gun manufacturer during the 60s and 70s.

Once I find my spreadsheet I'll post some notable patents. :)

Edited By Ben_ on 1183833461

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:14 pm

Would be neat to see other notable patents. That said, patent info is not what is appropriate for the page this thread is about, though. I am looking primarily for product names, manufacturer names, and release dates. Patents without subsequent products are neat to see, but not as valuable, to me, as actual functioning manufactured product information.