Recommended blaster for shooting birds

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
steb

Recommended blaster for shooting birds

Post by steb » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:10 am

I've got this issue -- swooping plover birds - those ones with the spur on their wing. They protect quite a large radius around their nest making simply avoiding them not feasible. I thought a water blaster might be a more humane way to deal with them.

So I'm looking for something with around a 30 ft range as they tend to turn around at that distance when they see you've spotted them. I don't need a heavy soaking stream, unless that's needed for range, and ideally as small as possible.

Any suggestions?

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Recommended blaster for shooting birds

Post by marauder » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:23 am

You can get a Water Warriors Outlaw for $12 and it has a range of about 38 feet with a smaller stream. It's also fairly small for being able to shoot that far. I saw a few at Wal Mart yesterday, so it looks like they should be available this spring.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

TheSoaker

Post by TheSoaker » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:35 am

CPS 2000 MK- 1 and/or Super Cannon 2!!! :goofy:
super soaker cps 2000......SUPER SOAKER CPS 2000!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!one

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:43 pm

*Actually Googles the problem instead of suggesting a blaster right off the bat.

So it looks like there's a number of issues here to consider:
- Where these birds are and how much they interfere with you/others.
- What solutions are legal and/or safe for resolving the problem.

Relocating the nest has been a suggestion as is continuously removing it until the birds go away. I'm not aware of the legality of these actions in any localities, so you'll have to figure that out. I also read that the swooping behavior stops after the eggs hatch and the chicks are mobile. A water blaster is good because it's very difficult to miss even on a fast-moving target, and you might be able to use it to deter the birds without actually soaking them.

If the nest is on your roof or something, and the birds' noises interfere with daily life, you may need a slightly different solution. A proper water blaster can reach almost anywhere on a roof, but I don't know what good that'll do. Relocating the nest might be the solution, but again, not sure on the legality/safety issues behind doing that.

But yeah, do some reading around if you haven't already.

As for a water blaster, it's difficult to recommend anything due to widely varying availabilities. Your most cost-effective method is to get one at a thrift store, but this is highly dependent on numerous availability factors. There are a few requirements you can look for though:

- Brand should be Super Soaker or Water Warriors (NOT Nerf Super Soaker, except for the Hydro Cannon.)

- Blaster should feature pressurization capability. i.e. You should be able to pump it up and pull a trigger to release the pressure.

- Should have a nozzle that's at least 2mm in diameter. You'll want at least that much water output as a baseline.

Available now, you may be able to find a Water Warriors Colossus 2 or Python 2, which I would recommend. The Python 2 would generally be better.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

steb

Post by steb » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure about that Super Cannon though, I looked it up and I think it will drown the mid flight lol. The Outlaw looks relatively small which is good, as it's something I just want to keep in a backpack for when needed.

I have been researching some options CA99. Being a protected bird moving their nest requires approval and apparently paying a professional to do it, so total overkill for what amounts to a few months a year. Plus I'm fine for the birds to be where they are, just not to attack when we keep well clear of their nest.

I'm not too concerned about them being a protected species as far as shooting them with water though, as one does have a overriding right to defend themselves.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:07 pm

I was gonna say, if any of those damned geese attacked me while I'm taking a walk at work, I'm sprinting after the nearest rock pile and letting them have it! I heard their bites can dent galvanized steel; can't be too careful.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:25 pm

Yeah, the Geese on campus are pretty bad and they are aggressive.

I would definitely recommend the Outlaw or Python 2. The Outlaw is a little smaller, though the Python 2 does have 3 stream options which may come in handy. The Colossus 2 is good, but wouldn't fit in a backpack. If you can find a Super Soaker Max D Defender on ebay that might work as well.

I have used larger soakers to destroy wasp nests, so I probably wouldn't recommend buying a Super Soaker CPS anything, although they are absolutely amazing in "battle...." completely destroy anything modern Super Soaker has put out.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:15 pm

Yep, I probably have more wasp nest KO's than KO's on actual people.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:08 pm

I wouldn't go near a wasp's nest with anything less than a flamethrower.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare