CPS 2000 PC musings

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: CPS 2000 PC musings

Post by marauder » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Yeah... I'm pretty sure the 300 has more than a 5x output... but either way it's definitely less than the 2000's output.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 pm

yes but it's about a 5x size aperture.... we need new names for nozzle sizes, instead of using output measures.
"The world is yours" - Nas

DX

Post by DX » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Determining nozzle size by output is important, though. For round balance, say you want to restrict a game to 5x nozzles or lower. It won't have the intended effect if you go by the size of the physical opening. For example, I just took these measurements the other day with digital calipers, a Blazer's largest nozzle is 4.71mm and has an output around 6x. A 1200 with a brass sprinkler warehouse nozzle is 4.65mm and has an output around 14.1x. For all practical purposes, these orifices are identical in size, but the 1200 pushes substantially more water through it in a shorter amount of time.

I am unsure that orifice size will ever have a correlation with output, because of how easy it is to adjust the output and the variability among bladders and PRVs.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:49 pm

The 300 has a very small nozzle for 8X. DX, I measured the ranges flat because they are for a science fair project (APH vs CPH more or less), which I will post here when I am done.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:04 pm

Duxburian wrote:Determining nozzle size by output is important, though. For round balance, say you want to restrict a game to 5x nozzles or lower. It won't have the intended effect if you go by the size of the physical opening. For example, I just took these measurements the other day with digital calipers, a Blazer's largest nozzle is 4.71mm and has an output around 6x. A 1200 with a brass sprinkler warehouse nozzle is 4.65mm and has an output around 14.1x. For all practical purposes, these orifices are identical in size, but the 1200 pushes substantially more water through it in a shorter amount of time.

I am unsure that orifice size will ever have a correlation with output, because of how easy it is to adjust the output and the variability among bladders and PRVs.
First off, holy crap. Was that 1200 a 12000 or is it just that powerful?

Also, it is very important that nozzle size and output are kept separate (XOR, anyone?). I imagine for certain groups/lines of water guns (Buzz Bee's N1/N3/N5/N7/N9 system, Larami's 5X/10X/20X for classic CPS) where the nozzles are actually the same size, we can safely refer to them as long as we understand what we are talking about. We could say L5X, L10X, or BN5, BN3, etc.
However, as it has been pointed out, it is unsafe to go by one measurement or the other when the internals, down to the PC and laminator/nozzle base itself (Think Monster X) is important. If I ever get a nice pair of calipers, I will go around and round up as many diameters as possible.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:19 pm

News flash: 1200s are awesome. I really need to measure some nozzles on my modded one.
I have a set of digital calipers, so when I get some time I will try to measure almost everything I own.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:33 pm

That is the 1200 that had a clogged valve and I had to ruin the stock nozzle it in order to fix it. No mods were done other than replacing the nozzle with a 3/4" male adapter and the brass hose nozzle. I don't remember what size a 1200's stock nozzle is, other than being much smaller than the brass replacement.

Nozzle orifices are really small, so take your time with the calipers. Two people can still get slightly different results. Annoyingly, mine doesn't appear to have an dial-adjust function, it must be slid manually. Measuring nozzles results in a lot of "too far" and "not enough" adjustments on the slide.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Could those nozzles be found at a hardware store? It's calculating way more shipping cost that i would prefer.

DX

Post by DX » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:01 am

Hardware stores usually carry the sprinkler type rather than the stream type. The sprinkler type has a cone in the middle and the water goes around the outside, resulting in more of a fan blast. That's not the kind of thing you want to happen to a water gun stream, the linked item is just a conical nozzle with full flow inside. I've never seen them in physical stores, you'd need to find something wicked local, with a huge selection.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Yeah thats true. Well I may obtain it we'll see.