New (2014) Nerf Soakers

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: new (2014) nerf soakers

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:27 am

The zombie strike line needs the XP 70 in it much better than the point break for close quarters.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:17 pm

Anybody else sick of all the "zombie survival gear" they're selling these days? I've seen zombie survival airsoft guns, cars, knives, and even real guns. Now we have zombie survival Nerf/water guns. I understand that most of it is just for fun, but there are also these people who actually prepare for a zombie apocalypse. Seriously people, it's not going to happen. Get a life.
isoaker wrote:As Zombies generally are on the lookout for brains, anyone wielding these would undoubtedly be a low source of food for them.
Where's the "like" button...
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:28 pm

You mean I wasted $17 on my "Zombie Hunter" slingshot :goofy:

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:30 pm

the oncoming storm wrote:The zombie strike line needs the XP 70 in it much better than the point break for close quarters.
Super Soaker has rereleased several XPs rather frequently over the years. The 55 and 75 both saw rereleases. After that we've seen new editions of the XP 20, XP 70, XP 220, XP 240, XP 270, and XP 310. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more out there that we don't know about. By rereleases I'm not including back to back years (e.g. XP 105 - 96, 97, 98). At the same time, perhaps Super Soaker will get away from releasing old guns all together and rereleases will be from the Nerf Line. I truly hope not, but that's probably more likely.
the oncoming storm wrote:The zombie strike line needs the XP 70 in it much better than the point break for close quarters.
I just got done watching the Walking Dead! Have some fun with it :D
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:10 pm

I tested Ben's Point Break back during the Steady Stream vs NSS comparison testing:

26' 10"
28' 2"
26' 7"
26' 6"
28' 1"
27' 2"
27' 5"
28' 4"
28' 0"
27' 4"

It's not very consistent, but is pretty good for NSS. The Steady Stream 2 still kicks its ass in just about everything, though. A water gun that can't clear 30ft is not much of a water gun.

I love thinking about zombie survival scenarios, although haven't done any prepping. I think every plan that involves staying on the continent is a losing one. I would sail up into the Canadian maritimes above Newfoundland and find a secluded, coastal island. Therefore, there is no reason to stock up on supplies and the such. The only thing I really need that I don't have is a boat, however, that is easily obtained. Most people don't know how to sail, so that ensures there will be boats available to steal. Worst case scenario there are no boats left, my kayak, fishing rod, water, and patience will suffice. It's possible to cross the Atlantic in a kayak, albeit at a painfully slow RoT.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:25 am

DX I didn't know you could sail.

My doomsday plan is simple, stay away from people. (most are loud and may turn on you)

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 pm

You mean, as in turn into zombies or simply decide to kill you/throw you under the proverbial disease-ridden bus?
Being by yourself is not a bad plan (you can't really trust other survivors, they have their own priorities) and if you can sleep safely in a locked box/secure room, then you'll do alright.
But when a gang shows up, guns blazing and decides to kill you and take your stuff... that's what you really need to be scared of.

>>I'm not obsessed with zombies, but I do enjoy watching The Walking Dead.
I think that certain things go too far (I too, am tired of "Zombie Survival Gear") and AMC is just a bit insane.

Consider this: If zombies were weak against foam darts, we'd have a fighting chance. If zombies can only be stopped with Nerf Super Soakers we're all doomed.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Both soakinator, and they will draw attention to you. You can hear a group of hikers up to a 1/4 mile away and they make an easier trail to follow than just one person.

Gangs would be a big threat to a single person, but I would also stay away from populated areas at great cost.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:41 pm

It's much easier to slip away and evade gangs when you're going solo, also easier to avoid detection in general. Ideally, I'd want to be in a group, but assembling one without baggage, drama, and with athleticism, skills, and trust, would be incredibly difficult.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:51 pm

The zombie apocalypse is just interesting to contemplate. (Way more interesting than something like baseball IMO. =p) There's far more realistic scenarios for the world ending than that, but that's the most popular and perhaps, interesting compared to others. Of course, it also depends on the types of infection/zombies we're talking about.

The commercialization of said zombie apocalypse seems to be a profitable phenomenon, to an extent. Most of you guys haven't seen the official Nerf Facebook page's awkward posts on such products.

What The Walking Dead and Left 4 Dead aren't figuring out is the fact that you're not going to have military grade automatic weapons everywhere in case of apocalypse, but even if you did, there's no sense firing them in bursts/full auto most of the time. (And what Left 4 Dead isn't getting is the fact that only explosives are practical against something like the special infected Tank.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:14 am

soakinader wrote: Consider this: If zombies were weak against foam darts, we'd have a fighting chance. If zombies can only be stopped with Nerf Super Soakers we're all doomed.
I think they would be repelled by all water if they are repelled by nerf super soakers :cps2000: :cps2700: :blazer: :ninja:

Actually, in a fictional world where zombies are repelled by water, the best weapon might be a hose since zombies do not have ranged weapons and a hose has (almost) unlimited ammo.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:42 am

the hose is a big threat at our house, with just 2 hoses you can cover the whole property and one nozzle can hit 60' or more without any wind.

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:10 pm

The problem with the Zombie Apocalypse is that it is too inconsistent in what zombies can/can't do. In some things, they are slow, can't service sunlight, and don't know how to swim. In other sources they are wicked fast and even capable of using weapons. The dreams I've had about zombies I've usually camped out on sycamore island, at night (in my dream zombies couldn't swim) and broke into peoples garages looking for 50/60s cars to "collect" during the day.

I'm not really big on the apocalypse scene in general though. I prefer stories where the world changes in some way but doesn't end (like everyone getting bending powers like in Avatar, or the world following "cartoon logic"). Everyone having a giant mech suit is also fun, I think I'd go with Megas XLR for that one.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:35 pm

I see zombies as about as capable as a 4 year old child. Slow but tireless when running, small jumps, few weapons, and only a very few would be swimmers albeit weak ones.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Back on topic, I'm glad that narf is getting away from military styled blasters. Poor styling = less sales

on the bright side NSS blasters hold a respectable amount of ammo only took them 3 years to fix

jSpazz

Post by jSpazz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:14 am

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:09 pm

Well, lookie what I found on Amazon. Told you Hasbro would start making squirt pistols. And here's another one.

They also appear to be making Stream Machine knockoffs. I bet they suck too.

And swim goggles!!! They look like they're from last year though, like those footballs and battle shields.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Hasbro making squirt-pistols isn't particularly surprising nor upsetting, IMO. Even Larami made a bunch of squirt-gun-type blasters back in the day. The problem is that there is a serious lack of higher-performance water blasters under the Nerf Super Soaker brand.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:09 pm

$5.99 for a squirter. We call it the "Hasbro Tax".

Unfortunately, the market for garbage blasters is too stable, so the SS brand will probably continue providing a predictable revenue stream. Ironically, these garbage blasters are the ones people pick up after tossing away last year's.

At least that's how I think it works, considering I know someone who's parent threw out a Longshot worth up to $90 eBay. There are people who throw out Christmas trees (with ornaments on) every year too. Looks like waste is the primary drive of profits here; business as usual.

If only we could find out what's going on with BBT for 2014.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

the oncoming storm

Re: New (2014) Nerf Soakers

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:14 pm

I second CA99, what does BBT have for 2014? Isoaker might know.