WW Orca Review

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Is the actual plastic seam a problem, or is it just the weight of the blaster on your hand? I've held worse guns when it comes down to grip ergonomics - some (like the Tiger Shark) don't let you hold the grip, and some are just uncomfortable to hold. This gun is okay.

Yes, the sound is a gimmick like what you can find on all of Super Soaker's recent guns - but it doesn't really sacrifice anything, in my opinion. If you really don't like the sound you can drill a hole on top and put tape over the cap.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:04 pm

When I first read people thoughts on it, I expected an ear-piercing squeal, which it isn't. I either have a quiet one or someone's exaggerating. I'm sure it's the latter, it's just a bubbling sound.
My main problems with it are the nozzle selector and pump.
However, if you have a 2005/06 Blazer, this has nearly identical perfomance. I'll try to get some stats soon

bb1

Post by bb1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:38 pm

The actual plastic hurts. At least on mine, but yes it can be uncomfortable to hold after a while.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:51 pm

When you are hiding in a bush, it might as well be an ear-piercing squeal. Moving into position to ambush with the enemy in sight distance is not exactly forgiving to noises. You can't even have leaves crackle under your feet. You also can't always pump up beforehand. Opportunities to kill often pop up when you least expect or when you could have spent time refilling/regrouping.

It's basically an issue of "oh this doesn't sound bad while I'm standing here testing the gun" vs "oh I'm so screwed and 10 enemies now know exactly where I am." The noise may seem like nothing, but try it during a night battle in an area so dense that you can't see 10ft in the daylight. When you are sweeping and the enemy could be right next to you, the last thing you need is your gun to shout "Hey I'm over here - come shoot me!" :goofy:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:02 pm

That's the advantage of a not-so-densely forested park :p It's actually very easy to see beyond 100' at my local park.
During some random range tests, I saw 13m on the second smallest nozzle, 12m on the ~3x, and 11m on the largest, so it looks good. I'll try to get certain stats by Friday.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:20 pm

Well it depends where you are. You can hardly see 5ft in the middle of the Sacred Grove, but you can see a good half mile from the top of High Point. Though at night, things are so quiet that you'd hear the Orca from way off in the distance.

You just reminded me, I never really brought out the tape to get accurate Orca ranges...I don't even know the nozzle ratings. :laugh:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

bb1

Post by bb1 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:24 pm

WTH is a meter?!

Anyway, Stop enticing me with all this water war talk...it makes me want to invent a time machine to make my neighbor's little kids 15-19!!

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:44 am

IMO, metric really doesn't work for water gun ranges. When I hear "40ft" I know exactly how to visualize that. When I hear "13m", it takes a bit to get it, despite the fact that I have to use metric for running distances every day. Even without American bias, feet just seem more descriptive since the unit is shorter. Kind of the effect of temperature, with Celsius seeming less descriptive of how temperature feels.

This talk is hardly enticing - I've got 9 years' worth of wild water warfare stories up my sleeve... :goofy:

bb1

Post by bb1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:44 am

Any at all would be good here.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:44 pm

I personally prefer metric, though I can still somewhat visuallize imperial. But in case you were wondering, 13m is ~43'.

Edited By mr. dude on 1176407124

bb1

Post by bb1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:34 pm

Nice range there.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:37 pm

The sound was surprisingly quiet for me too. I don't mind it, and once again, tape and a drill are the solution.

The Orca still feels underpowered. If I can find rubber sheets anywhere, I'll try to do mod the PC. I'm also going to do something, I don't know what, with the nozzle selector. A selector from a broken CPS-line gun should be good - large, clean streams. But I want power to back up the streams first. :cool:

Yeah, I know how to convert between most metric and imperial units...but metric just doesn't feel right. Maybe living outside the US for a while would help. That said, my range estimations are probably terrible, as I have never actually checked the range of any of my guns. Gotta do it sometime, I suppose. *yawn* :sleepy:

bb1, even a couple of other people are enough for a war. Host a party after school closes in the summer and pull out water guns, or ask people to bring theirs. Just have fun!

bb1

Post by bb1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:04 pm

Sounds good, but people are weird around here. They hibernate almost all year long!

Shame, big big forest behind us with a whole line of houses w/ taps on the edge. Steep wooded hills, streams... :soaked:

Edited By bb1 on 1176415533

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:35 pm

The metric system is much better in my opinion. Simply because its very acurate. If someone is 1.77m tall, you know its taller than 1.75m. But with our "foot" measuring system its all 5'9. Now measuring everything in feet might be ok when picking dudes for your basketball team, but if you want to use a system that is for acurate scientific measurements, you are better of if you can show differences down to the last milimeter. Imagine the CPS2000 Mk.2 shoots on average 1.8cm-2cm farther than the Mk.1.(out of 1000 test shots) You would finaly know which one shoots farther. Even if it doesn't matter in the practical sense(then again, even 2-5 feet of distance won't make the cow fat.) Basicaly put, the more detailed measuring system is the better one. Its simply that we in north america are not used to it, and thefore reject that which seems unfamiliar. Now the other thing is, 80% of the globe and Star trek can't be wrong about their measuring system. :p

As for the Orca noise, of all the things that would be the least of the flaws in a soaker. Snapping triggers or constant leaks are more of a problem the way I see it. Many CPS 1500s had loud and squeechy pumps. And with loud, I mean realy loud as in you can pump in a locked house and you can still hear it outside the front door. But barely anyone cared about that.
Now the thing is, since its time soon for the next future soaker suggestion thread, how can we increase power without risking law suits.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:00 pm

Metric is of course more scientifically accurate, but certain things don't really need the precision. I wouldn't care if a water gun shot a couple of cm farther than another. Makes no difference in battle, so the added precision makes no difference either. Well, depends on what you use stats for. I personally take stats for determining performance in battle, where little technicalities rarely affect anything. If you want to publish a scientific report on water gun ranges, then that's a totally different story. Only certain applications need such detail, hence neither system can be "better" without specifying an application. It's not a matter of being foreign [I couldn't possibly imagine using yards for a track race], it is a matter of what fits best for a practical or scientific use.

Since the Orca does not have trigger or leaking issues, the pump noise becomes a large issue by default. The Orca appears to be rather structurally sound. Behind noise are the usual power and range problems.

Edited By Duxburian on 1176419090

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:06 pm

Oh yes, I would much prefer the metric system. Definitely great for science and precision. But I gotta say, the standard system is just comfortable for us.

It's like a foreign language. You might be well-versed and fluent, but your native language is the easiest and the most comforting.

I agree with you about the noise issue. Not bad at all. It's just that the gun doesn't feel like it has much power. Mind you, it's probably got better range and shot time on certain nozzles than my CPS 4100, and it might be quite ergonomic, but the feel isn't there. I never thought I'd say it, actually, about any soaker. But the small, high range nozzles even disappear 40 feet out.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:33 pm

My Orca's trigger doesn't close up all the way sometiems, but so far that has only happened when pumping air. Also, the poor handling, bulkiness, and lack of power is defiantely more of an issue than the pump noise, which isn't much more than any other pumping.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:43 pm

Retook ranges, and this time max range was 3m (10' :angry: ) shorter. It might be due to wind, but I tried to shoot when there was none, so it's a crazy gun (for lack of a better term).

bb1

Post by bb1 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:39 pm

It doesn't like you kthxbye.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:03 pm

Duxburian wrote:Metric is of course more scientifically accurate, but certain things don't really need the precision. I wouldn't care if a water gun shot a couple of cm farther than another. Makes no difference in battle, so the added precision makes no difference either. Well, depends on what you use stats for. I personally take stats for determining performance in battle, where little technicalities rarely affect anything. If you want to publish a scientific report on water gun ranges, then that's a totally different story. Only certain applications need such detail, hence neither system can be "better" without specifying an application. It's not a matter of being foreign [I couldn't possibly imagine using yards for a track race], it is a matter of what fits best for a practical or scientific use.

Since the Orca does not have trigger or leaking issues, the pump noise becomes a large issue by default. The Orca appears to be rather structurally sound. Behind noise are the usual power and range problems.

I like the "inches" measuring as much as the next guy on a common wealth country, but the thing is that metric is more straight forward. Which makes it overal better to me as in universaly adaptable to various situations including soakers. Measuring in feet sometimes seems like when they came up with it they just improvised. For example:

600 inches = 50 feet

1524 cm = 15.24 meters

All of the amounts above mean the same thing. I do prefer the metric version and it makes more sense in itself since all you have to do is shift decimals. I can see however how when measuring soaker distances, using inches and feet might be more accessable since measuring to the last cm or mm would require more fine detail with the measuring tape. That, and 50 feet sound more impressive for a watergun than 15 meters.

Measuring liquids is the same thing for me. I prefer ml or liter over ounces. Its effective and straight forward. And cm/m just functions with the same logic such as ml/l or even currency. 100 cents= $1. It makes universaly sense.

As for the current power issue in contemporaries(I suppose we have to get back to topic), I will post more in the next yearly soaker suggestion thread. Around what time does Buzz Bee toys start planning for the next year?

Edited By ZOCCOZ on 1176437175