WW Orca Review

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:03 pm

This weekend, I might look for some guns in the stores. (not sure, I'm in the lower Michigan area, but I'll have a look anyway) I'll probably bring my cam to the store and ask the manager, and get as many pics as I can, and I might buy the Orca, not sure. (having to mod the noisy cap doesn't sound like too much fun, I've already got my hands full with homemades and repairs)

And plus my parents have started to get a bit more annoyed with my water gun buying. I should probably only get good deals on the larger old CPS's, and avoid even medium CPS's since I already have some of them. With this in mind, I might pass over a lot of 2007 soakers, whether BBT or Hasbro, with the very probable exception of some Max-D pistols that would be really convinient. (my closest to pistols is some small-medium air pressure guns, such as the SC400 and MaxD5k, I'd have to create clips for them and deal with the extra weight)

Edited By C-A_99 on 1173125209
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:55 pm

Good review, Dr.D, abd Duxburian I definetly look forward to buying one.

I agree with everyone else that there must be some kind of mod to fix the orca sound each time you pump it. I think this would be a good gun for some of my team members. They usually use my guns at our wars. I'm excited that BBT came out with a good gun. I'll try to get one this weekend.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

Croc

Post by Croc » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:50 pm

please... can someone post pics of the gun, since for one... we want to see what it looks like, and two... Maybe we can help figure out a way to stop the squealing if we see the annoying cap

Dr. D

Post by Dr. D » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 pm

Croc wrote:please... can someone post pics of the gun, since for one... we want to see what it looks like, and two... Maybe we can help figure out a way to stop the squealing if we see the annoying cap

Okay guys, I finally found a picture of an Orca on the internet:

:bm2700: :soaked: :cps2500:
:bm1000:

Sorry, I just couldn't help it. I just ccouldn't believe no one had done it yet...

Anyway, I'd post a picture in a heartbeat but:
a. my digital camera is toast
b. my sister's cameraphone internet connection just expired :angry:
c. I don't even have any old-timey film to develop and scan.

So sorry about all that, but in the meantime here's another beauty shot to hold you guys over:
n00b friend: "Nice SP 270!"
Me: "Uhh, it's
XP."
n00b friend: "Oh yeah! Nice SP 270 XP!"

Current Official USF Armory: Monster X, CPS 4100, CPS 2500 (shotgun), CPS 2100 (x3), CPS 1500, CPS 1200 (x3), CPS 1000, MI Flash Flood (x3) STE Flash Flood (x2) WW Orca

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:52 pm

All right...that was funny. Especially since Firefox usually doesn't load forum images the first time I go to a page, dunno why. Only saw the "orca" picture after reloading.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:16 pm

I am really looking forward to seeing this new soaker. If it wins even grudging approval from DX, it's GOT to be interesting.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:28 am

I'll see what I can do on my end here.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 am

I'll admit i ran to KB yesterday and picked up an orca myself. i havnt tested it since its only 20 degrees here but it still looks awsome. its about the same size of the blazer in length and still has two hydropower PC's, only on the orca they are angled where they are level on the blazer. they both have five nozzles and seem to be the same, but as i said i have not fired it yet. some of the biggest diffrences are the pump which looks like its more in the style of a Max-D 6000 rather then the track mounted pump on the blazer. the power gauge now has a button switch as opposed to being turned on by the switch behing the trigger. the biggest diffrence between the two externally is the trigger/tank setup. while on the blazer, the trigger handle seemed rather akward with the pressure gauge switch, trigger and stock all in a small area. the orca free's up some space by having an open trigger and switchs the tank cap to the bottom. haveing the tank cap placed under the tank is unique, but i find it easier to fill if you dont mind turning your soaker upside down to fill it. also, the strap with the orca seems a little more secure by its placement on the soaker. the orca cost me $24.99 US at KB while my 06 blazer was $29.99 US at toys r us. (hooray for KB) I already know im going to lave my orca as much as my blazer, as well as I wont mind letting other people use my blazer and not fear an advantage (if they all use recent soakers)

Upon further review I did notice the same flaws as Dux and Dr. D. the smaller pump grip and its ability to spin is quite annoying but still manageable. After looking at the tank cap for a while i agree with everyone else that it is one of the cons of the soaker. minus the sound and its lack of use in combat i did find that it was able to be filled in tighter places such as sinks. I do wonder why a simple fix such as changeing the shape of the tank was overlooked. To fix it all one would have to do is flip the back two inches of the tank so that the cap is on top and the tank still has the same shape.

I would have to agree most with the fact that BBT has come so close and yet so short of an ideal soaker due to these short comings. Will these problems stop me from using the soaker? no, nor will they, im sure, stop people from wanting one. But hopefully, if people such as Big bee are reading our imput will fix these problems in the next re-issue so that we may be one step closer to stock light rifle soaker prefection. :blazer:

Edited By Dacca on 1173378907
more reliable then a max-D trigger

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:49 am

Three feedbacks about the Orca(that span several paragraphs) yet still no pictures. You guys are "soaker-teases". :p

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:03 am

ZOCCOZ wrote:Three feedbacks about the Orca(that span several paragraphs) yet still no pictures. You guys are "soaker-teases". :p
I second that comment! :goofy:

...if I had my hands on an WW Orca... *still envious!*

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:04 am

I'd be more then happy to supply you guys with a picture, if I only had a camera that is :p

Big Bee

Post by Big Bee » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:35 pm

Well............nuts! I thought it was a good idea and a great design to have the fill cap at the bottom of the tank. I guess that's what happens when you try something new. We can change that for next year, and the pump handle, I think. Keep it coming, we all learn from your comments.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:07 am

Look who's back! Long time no see! :laugh:

I'm usually the last person to complain about anything other than performance, so any comments in a negative light reflect issues of personal importance. The cap placement could make sense in some regard, but the way I fight water wars, I would never be able to do anything involving stealth. An upside down filling cap would work if there were no sounds when pumping. Most people wouldn't notice that the pump handle can turn and hit the case, but buying a new gun is such a rare event for me that I analyze everything very carefully.

The capacity and shot times are amazing, don't change those! Range is better than average, though I know it could be higher. I cite range every year, yet all stock soakers from 2003-2007 still can't hit 50ft. It is kind of sad to watch great modded guns with 55ft+ range break down over the years and have no high range manufactured guns to replace them with.

I think the price for this gun is perfect. My local K-mart sold out already. Perhaps future guns like this could have similar pricing? :laugh:

When push comes to shove, the only thing I would really like to see improved is range, as always. I'd throw out all concerns about ergonomics in favor of a 50ft shooter. After this season, I will have gone my entire high school career waiting for such a gun.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:17 pm

Maybe Big Bee could get us a pic. :goofy:

I can't wait to see this gun myself, I'll be shopping around tomorrow. Any suggestions/experiences on which stores are most likely to have it and have it for $20?

Edited By C-A_99 on 1173730653
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:24 pm

Sounds like a good gun though, you guys have raised the bar and it sounds like a popular gun across the country. Good luck!

The only things I would do would be to add a tracked pump or a round-gripped one. I can't say much about the whale sound though, I personally might actually like it. :cool:

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:43 am

Nice to see you again Big Bee. If you would not mind answering this questions: Is the Orca the largest Soaker this year or is there a bigger one in the Water Warriors 2007 line? Any info is apreciated.

Big Bee

Post by Big Bee » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:24 am

The Orca is the largest blaster for this year.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:48 am

Hay! Big-Bee.
Its been a while since we've seen you. Nice work overall on the Orca.
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:27 am

Hey! It's Big Bee! I hear great stuff on the performance on this year's lineup! Hopefully the rest of the new line also provides new surprises!

As for pics, heck, what about you guys who already have an Orca?! :goofy: Once I can get my hands on one, I'll be pushing up pics...

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:33 am

well it finally got warm enough to test out my orca and well, the sound really does fit the name. the shape of the tank and the reletive location of the fill cap made it easy to fill, but once i started pumping there was no missing the whale sound. I figured out that the sound was comming from air entering the tank via the rubber seal in the cap. When pumping water into the pc's air enters the tank to take up the space that the water leaves behind so that a vaccume isn't created. most soakers do this by having a valve in the fill cap. If the orca's cap was on top OR if the rubber air valve was on top then there would be no whale sound. sadly the only way to fix the current problem would require a hole in the top of the tank.