Can a WW Gorgon hit 10x Output? Results Point to "Yes"

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
DX

Can a WW Gorgon hit 10x Output? Results Point to "Yes"

Post by DX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:28 pm

So, this issue came up that the drilled "10x" nozzle I have on my Gorgon has never actually been rated in testing. The output was estimated at 10x, and the range estimated at 37 ft. iSoaker's comments on whether a Gorgon can support a 10x nozzle and my curiosity as to how far this really shoots finally got me off my lazy butt and outside to really see what this nozzle does.

Methodology:
For measuring shot volume, I fired the nozzle into an a big orange juice container. It is deep and wide enough that none of the shot sprays out. I then poured it out into a set of measuring cups I got from a thrift store that go down to 2 mL in accuracy. As long as you are patient, you can get very good numbers from these cups.

For measuring shot time, I filmed the stream and then reviewed it in a video editor by frame rate. My gun cam is capable of shooting 60 FPS at 720p, so I've found a great new use for this setting.

For measuring range, I used last puddle, known interval, on a concrete range. My range is divided into 10ft intervals and the tape measure is used to measure back/forward from the closest known 10ft mark to where the last puddle lands. Since I expected the Gorgon's "10x" nozzle to shoot a few feet below 40, I stood at my 0ft mark and measured back/forward from the 40 mark. When the concrete got too wet, I moved up to my 10ft mark and measured from my 50ft mark. This method is faster than pulling out the whole tape measure each time and allows me to do take more shots in one test, as I need not wait for the concrete to dry. I fired from shoulder height at a roughly 40-50 degree angle, calibrated using a Buzz Bee angle meter. While not every shot may have been 45 degrees, every shot was within the "dark green" part of the meter.

Weather conditions are taken from the Monroe or North Park reporting stations on Weather Underground. North Park is preferred, being literally down the street. Legal wind is 5.0 MPH in any direction.

For pre-pressurization, I used 30 pre-pumps.

On to the results:

Testing conditions:

Temperature: 84.8 degrees F
Wind: 2.0 MPH
Pressure: 29.44 in
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 74 degrees F

Output: 524 mL for 1.6 seconds.
Rating: 10.9x. (if you use the average of the XP 70 = 1x, the rating is 10.1x)

Max Range: 41 ft, 3 in
Average Range: 38 ft, 8 in
Low Mark: 36 ft, 2 in

Ranges:
40 ft, 11 in
37 ft, 7 in
39 ft, 10 in
41 ft, 3 in
37 ft, 4 in
40 ft, 9 in
36 ft, 9 in
38 ft
39 ft, 10 in
36 ft, 2 in

Conclusions: Gorgons can not only support 10x nozzles, but they can potentially go higher, as mine is not located in the largest nozzle column on the selector plate. 2 other nozzles have larger columns with larger internal holes. The range and shot time are highly influenced by the amount of pre-pumps. At Duelfest, I only used 15-20 pre pumps. These results show that the Gorgon needs to be pre-pumped more. Whether more than 30 pumps would be better is unknown, as my selector plate popped off and it won't stay on. Once your hand or the pump handle gets wet, it becomes very difficult to extend the pump, especially to pre-pump. This problem should be noted for future pump handle designs - more leverage is needed). It should also be noted that the 10x nozzle has horrible lamination, despite Ben's best attempts to smooth out the inside of the column. Better lamination would almost certainly increase the range.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Can a WW Gorgon hit 10x Output? Results Point to "Yes"

Post by the oncoming storm » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:36 pm

so a fluke hit 41' nice cool, I give 40 pre-pumps on my gorgon and think it works well.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Despite hitting that, it is very inconsistent and the bad lamination doesn't help. If you were shooting through trees and stuff, the stream wouldn't make it vs a 1500 or 2500's 10x stream.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:01 pm

I should cast doubt more often if it results in good stat recordings like this! :goofy:

The only thing missing though is what size drill bit you used to make the new nozzle. Great report, though!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:25 pm

In your opinion, does the Gorgon handle 10x better than HP-based WW's handle the large 5x-ish nozzle?

Also, I would expect range to be improved by a few feet with a manufactured 10x nozzle over a drilled one. Just stating the obvious, but it's important that this makes it over to BBT, should they release something as capable as the Gorgon again.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Ben drilled it, so I don't remember what size bit was used. I've been carefully studying the selector plate that Ben gave me from his oven-melted Gorgon, and am hoping to get some intensive testing done on it. With 2 Gorgons and 3 plates, I can afford to experiment. Instead of testing a few drills, I plan on going up the whole bit set from the stock orifice to full column width.

For Sam's question, yes and no. You are more likely to hit someone with the largest nozzle of Blazers, Orcas, Vindicators, etc. You are more likely to keep people from rushing you with the Gorgon 10x, or get people to run away when you switch nozzles and rush them. Since the Gorgon holds a lot of water, you can blast away with the 10x pretty liberally, but that lamination...

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:58 pm

I meant that question to refer to how the Tiger Shark or Orca face a performance slump when set to the largest nozzle setting; they are slow streams and loose some range and effectiveness compared to smaller nozzles. Does the Gorgon encounter this at 10x? Or are the ranges and stream velocity comparable to that of smaller nozzles for the Gorgon?
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:31 pm

I don't have any documentation on my computer of what drill bit we used. It was probably on my iphone. However, I do know that we used a bit from my red black and decker kit as those were the only drill bits I had at the time. The two largest black and decker drill bits I have are 15/64" and 3/16". I'm thinking it was 15/64". If you have some calipers or a drill bit that size you should see if that fits.

I tried as best as I could with what we had to make the nozzle completely smooth. I started off with the drill bit and then cleaned it up with medium sandpaper, fine sand paper, and then extremely fine sandpaper. It was still rather volatile, but FWIW the largest nozzle setting on my Blazer (4-5x?) has about the same amount of stream cohesiveness but has a lot less hitting power, and 2 ft less range. I have never used an Orca or Tiger Shark before so I can't really comment on how those would behave. The largest nozzle on the Vindicator has much better stream cohesiveness/lamination than the largest nozzle on the Blazer.

I've found that nozzle drilling is rather difficult, so it's something I approach with extreme caution. It's also why I've really gotten into multi nozzle mods lately. Stock nozzles are often rather deep, and it's difficult to smooth out a half inch section of plastic than it is to smooth out a quarter inch section of plastic. Also, with multi nozzle mods you can switch your nozzles out if you don't like them, or you can get brass nozzles that are already smooth on the inside. With the Gorgon and other guns that have multiple nozzles already it's a completely different ball game. We didn't drill out the largest nozzle because the largest stock nozzle was already very useful, but as DX pointed out, the plastic surrounding the nozzle aperture has a larger circumference, and thus can be drilled out larger. However, I'm not sure how much larger, because ultimately it won't do you any good to drill it out larger than how large the aperture is behind the nozzle selector - which I thought was as large as we drilled out that 10x nozzle, but my memory could be wrong.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:50 pm

How is the range compared to the other nozzles? I drilled all of the nozzles on my Gorgon; perhaps not quite as large though, and the new, biggest setting was very powerful but yeah, needs lots of air charging to give it any range. Maybe I should go and buy a Gorgon while they are still available; but this is 20$ + tax I'm never getting back.
Unless, fast forwards ten years, when working CPS are impossible to find, buzz bee is bankrupt, and super soakers shoot fine mists, then I can sell the Gorgon for big bucks.
Definitely the limiting factor on WW guns is the tiny ball valves and tubing.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:00 pm

I took my Gorgon out last night and tested range vs # of prepumps. I was only able to get through the 3 smallest nozzles before the weather turned sour, but I didn't measure any increase in range with more prepumping. I started with 0, then 10, 20, and finally 30. It did affect stream drop off, but that would require a better place to test and more equipment in order to accurately measure. I think prepumping really only affects range on nozzle sizes that are close to the max a gun can support.

Also, and this may warrant a different thread if it becomes too serious, but my Gorgon randomly started firing when I had set it on the ground and was over checking the measuring tape. It just randomly started firing. When I clicked the trigger it stopped, but then it began to randomly fire again once I hit the HPL. This happened about 4 or 5 times. Not every time I hit the HPL but still enough to be a serious problem. I don't know what to make of it, especially since I bought this blaster NEW this spring and it really has only been used in 2 or 3 battles.

I was contemplating selling my Blazer before this happened, as now I have a Gorgon and 2 X Pool Pumper Blasters, but the Gorgon's durability issues are making me seriously think twice. Even to the point of selling the Gorgon and keeping the Blazer, but I'd rather not because the Gorgon is more powerful. I technically don't have to sell either one, but I'm hopefully moving back to Charlotte at the end of the month and I only have so much space in my little Civic (and at my apartment). I'm really impressed with how smooth the Blazer works and how durable it is, but the fact of the matter is that my Gorgon is noticeably more powerful, has greater field life, and has a lot more potential.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:51 pm

Wait you have 2 pool pumpers? Did you buy the one off ebay two weeks ago? Durmit!
Yeah, I think my gorgon is going to need a new pump or something... just because A: it's a crappy shape and B: it lags.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Sorry for the bump on an old post, but did you ever cut the intake tube?

If you cut the intake tube it helps a lot with the lagging problem. Mine still does every once in a while, but it's rare now where as it was rather common before. If you're worried about the internals becoming clogged with gunk you can place a wire or plastic mesh screen over the intake tube. That will still allow a lot of water in while keeping all the stuff out that can clog your gun. The stock intake tube filter is pretty crappy and only allows a tiny bit of water in.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:07 pm

^ In that case, I'd look more to drilling out the stock intake filter, if you have drill bits small enough. Won't filter as well, but should open up against the pump lag.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare