CPS 2700 Review - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Adrian

CPS 2700 Review - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Post by Adrian » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:52 pm

The Good:
Power, capacity, looks, range...if the 2700 were a real gun, it'd probably be banned, just cause it does its job so dang well.

The capacity on this thing is staggering. I'm gonna hazard a guess that it's got the highest capacity of any gun without a seperate tank. If not, it's gotta be close. Unless you're trigger happy, and have it set on 10x, you're not going to run out of water for a loooong time. The better part of a fight, I'd say.

The range is great too. 5x is in my experience, the farthest shooting nozzle, and if you get the drop on someone, you can hit them from far away, unless they're carrying equal or higher CPS weaponry.

The nozzle selection could've been better. Had this thing had the formidable 20x nozzle, it'd be the best all-around gun ever, period, end of story. As it is, it has a nozzle for range, an nozzle for water conservation, and a 10x nozzle that makes you feel like the water is exploding out of the gun. The 10x feels bigger than 10x. You can soak someone SO fast with this nozzle...

The Bad:
Even with the strap, the weight on the 2700 is cumbersome at best. I'm not a particulary big guy, and I imagine that for anyone much smaller than me, this gun would be unwieldy in the extreme. Even I have trouble with it some times, especially when running. The strap does help though. I wouldn't recommend looping it around your arm AND neck, just your arm. You'll be able to use it a lot easier that way.

The pump is kind of awkward too. The gun has a tendency to wobble in my hands while I'm pumping it. I'm guessing that has to do with the fact that the pump isn't tracked or guided in any way. You're not going to want to keep one hand on the pump while using the 2700, you're gonna want to put your non-trigger hand right up above the pump, behind the nozzles. You'll get better stabilization that way.

The Ugly:
I call this part "The Ugly" because I discuss design and cosmetic stuff here. Guns like this one make me wonder why I call it "The Ugly" and not "The Downright Awesome." I like the look of this gun, in both colorways, as shoe collectors would say. I know a lot of others hate the shape, but I think it looks cool. It probably has to do with the long ovoid barrel, I'm not sure. It looks hi-tech, but slightly organic.

A tracked pump would've made this gun great. I can easily imagine a 4100 style pump under the barrel...it could've been so awesome...

The Gun Cabinet:
I usually write these reviews out in my head before I ever type them up, and I put off typing this one because I couldn't think of a real gun to compare the 2700 to. It hit me this afternoon. The Browning Automatic Rifle, also known as the B.A.R. It's a wonder of gunsmithing technology, dreamed up on the workbench of the Mormon tinker John Moses Browning, who also invented the (nearly) century old Colt 1911 .45 handgun. Supposedly the B.A.R. is the greatest militia weapon of all time. Anyway, the reason I equate the two is due because of the size (they're both heavy) and they both are incredibly powerful weapons.

Overall:
With a 20x and tracked pump, this would've been incredible, as well as invincible. As it is, the 2700, is all-around powerful and aesthetically pleasing. The weight is a deterrent to smaller users, but average and bigger-than-average people should have no problems with it. If you see one of these GET IT!!!

I wrote a whole bunch of reviews in this style as sort of a gimmick for what I hoped would be the new AQT2 boards. Now that that project went belly up, I have about a dozen or so reviews...maybe I'll contribute post some here, or submit some to RAK's site.

Adrian :bm2700:
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:22 pm

Yes! 2700 Forever! :bm2700:

Good review, and I am glad that at least one other person doesn't think that the 2700 is horrible!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:32 pm

I added a 20X to my 2700 for the fun of it and I can tell you the shot time is terrible but the power and soaking ability is amazing. Another thing to put on there is the trigger can break over long periods of use. Mine snapped and I just recently fixed it. On my 2700 I have a problem of pumping it to absolute fullest. It usually means I have to open it and release the presure from in there. I love this gun, but the machanical problems are very annoying when it comes to modding. I have done atleast 18 things to save my 2700 from being scrap. All of this due to K-modding it. A word to everyone, DONT K-MOD A CPS 2700. Its not worth the work and hassel. I un-K modded my cps 2700 because the power was to great for the internals, the trigger, and other things. The power you have with it to begin with is fine and you should stick with it.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:23 pm

The CPS 2700 had a lot of potential, but Larami really screwed up when they designed it.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:27 am

Cool review! I'll add it into the appropriate iSoaker.com page tonight or by the weekend.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Super Soaker CPS2700

Post by SEAL » Mon May 03, 2010 3:19 pm

This thing is a beast. It's the biggest and most powerful blaster that I own. I'd recommend it as ether a good heavy assault blaster or a base defence. (Only out of what I own. I havn't had much experience with anything else that may be better.)
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

martianshark

Re: CPS 2700 Review - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Post by martianshark » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:42 pm

I bought this thinking it would be awesome and really powerful. Some assembly was required, and when I put it back together, I wasn't very impressed. Reliability is the biggest problem. I couldn't get the trigger valve to stay shut. I'll have to add rubber bands the next time I open it. Also, I didn't find the streams to be as big as I hoped. So I tried shooting it without the nozzle selector, and I got a pretty big stream. Still, I would recommend pretty much anything over this; even a small CPS like a CPS 1200. If the valve stayed shut, I probably would recommend it as a decent-ish primary. Also, the pump is very flimsy.

This is where I would put it on a worst-to-best list of CPSs.

CPS 1-3-5
CPS Splashzooka
CPS 1200
CPS 4100
CPS 1000
CPS 2100
CPS 2700
CPS 1700
CPS 1500
CPS 2000
CPS 2500
CPS 3000
CPS 3200
Last edited by martianshark on Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 pm

Sounds like you need some repair work on it. Either way, its power is not very impressive compared to the big names of CPS. Unfortunately, the valve is generally too weak to work with a K-mod, which would be very useful for it.

It's great for soakfests. Huge capacity and good output.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:13 pm

I still like my CPS 1200 more. But I think I've gotten the valve to shut; I just had to use it a bit. By the way, when I got my CPS 2700 I found it was already modded slightly. The nozzles were labled with duct tape, the reservoir tether was replaced with a bit of sponge, and nozzle cover thing wasn't included (aparently he already threw it out). The seller thinks he had an account on soakerdom.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:01 am

As there are SO MUCH PEOPLE saying that it would be SO GREAT if there is a SOAKER that got 2 X:: , 5X::, 10 X:: and a 20 X:: nozzle, I want to point out that I built up a CPS 1500 and a CPS 1700 with these four nozzles! So this is possible! The CPS 1500/1700 overcome the CPS 2700 easily, since they got Much More Pressure/Power and better output. They are more stable, also the original pump rod is thicker(does not matter, because I replaced both with aluminium pump-rods) and MUCH BETTER BALANCED! Also the 1 LITRE more that the CPS 2700 got is not that big advantage, as this is about 1x PC refilling more. I also got a CPS 2700 and I have to admit that it is really not that good, people are right here. It is not bad, for sure, but it got much weak points and feels flimsy, not speaking of the pull-valve which closes just after there is some pressure in the PC(does not matter whether it is k-modded or not). THis valve is built very weak!

Apart from this the CPS 2700 is the ONLY SOAKER which got a 2 X::, 5X:: and a 10 X:: nozzle originally. And this is quite good^^ But due to the fact that SOakers can be modified, this is no big advantage anymore... :D

All in all: Good Soaker, with much good and MUCH bad points, but also inimitable in all its aspects :D As for myself, I do not regret purchasing one, which is an important thing!

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:15 pm

From what I read, the 2700 is still more powerful than the 1500. It's also been the only larger CPS I've been able to get for some time.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:20 am

But from ISOAKER.Com 's Powerrating and from MY OWN EXPERIENCE we have a CLEAR DIFFERENCE, which says that the CPS 1500 packs much more powerful than the CPS 2700

Soaker-> Nozzle->Powerrating --> Output ---> Range --> firing time

CPS 2700 10X:: 25,9 --> 330ml/s --> 10 metres --> 2s
CPS 1500 10X:: 29,3 --> 311ml/s --> 12 metres --> 3s

CPS2700 5X:: 12,1 --> 172ml/s --> 9 metres --> 4s
CPS 1500 5X:: 22,5 --> 239ml/s --> 12 metres --> 3s

PC of the 1500 is bigger than the one of 2700. The CPS 2700 is MORE fragile, WEAKER, HEAVIER, Not as well balanced and the nozzle selector is more difficult to change. Its trigger mechanism is likely to break or cause problems(not closing well, etc.) and you also get more power out of the CPS 1500 when K-modded and also nozzle modification is more difficult on the CPS 2700 since it is easier to add two nozzles at 90°(1500) then adding 3 nozzles at a too small nozzle selector at 60°(2700) ALso the Colour-sheme is worse than the one of the CPS 1500.

The CPS 2700 is a good Soaker with lots of advantages and disadvantages but it is NOT COMPARABLE with the CPS 1500, no way. It is only in one point of view better and this is reservoir volume(1 litre more) and 20 ml/s more at the 10 X:: nozzle, which is hardly noticeable...

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm

But remember, a blaster is only as good as the person who wields it. I've won a soakfest with only an Aqua-Shock Secret Strike, when the people I was fighting had a Max-D 6000, a 40-foot shooting XP-270, and more that I can't remember.

However, if the person I'm fighting had equal or better skills than me, I'd certainly choose a 1500/1700 over a 2700 any day, but of course I don't have a 1500 or a 1700, so I have to make the best out of what I have. The 2700 suits me just fine, so I'm happy with it.

I'm not sure power-wise which is better though. My 2700 gets around 45 feet or so, but I haven't measured the output. All I know, is that it's the only soaker I have that has noticeable recoil apart from my homemades.

In my humble opinion (Based on my personal style), a worst-to-best list of CPS blasters should go like this:

11: CPS 1-3-5
10: CPS Splashzooka
9: CPS 4100
8: CPS 2700
7: CPS 2100
6: CPS 1000/1200
5: CPS 2000
4: CPS 3200
3: CPS 3000
2: CPS 2500
1: CPS 1500/1700

Thanks for listening to me ramble.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:58 pm

Well personally, I'm a busy guy who doesn't have time to undergo intensive physical training for a few water wars lol. Therefore, I will stick to my best blasters and team tactics, instead of using piston pumpers, and go from there. When your blaster can unload a reservoir's worth of water in a second, when your enemy has to refill 2 times just to get 3/4ths of what you can shoot in a second, the skill/physical ability gap has to be HUGE in order for the piston pumper user to have any chance of winning.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Of course, if one person has a squirt pistol, and the other has a garden hose, it's pretty obvious who would win regardless of skill level, unless the hose user is an infant or something. :goofy: I was mostly talking about blaster comparisons like say, Max-D 5000 vs. CPS 3000. If the 3000 user is out of shape and not very skillful, and the 5000 user is some sports athlete who spends all his free time thinking up tactical strategies and training, then sure, a Max-D 5000 user could beat a CPS 3000 user. I'm not saying I'm one of these people though. :goofy:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:07 pm

Haaha, this is a great example! Haha

Compare a MAX-D 5000 and a CPS 3000 hahaha...And the CPS 3000 user loses ? This would be such a great image! :lol:

But this is not really realistic, since the CPS 3000 user only has to hit the Max-D user ONCES and he is totally soaked...

:ss50: :cps3000: :soaked: :D

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 am

SEAL wrote:Of course, if one person has a squirt pistol, and the other has a garden hose, it's pretty obvious who would win regardless of skill level, unless the hose user is an infant or something. :goofy: I was mostly talking about blaster comparisons like say, Max-D 5000 vs. CPS 3000. If the 3000 user is out of shape and not very skillful, and the 5000 user is some sports athlete who spends all his free time thinking up tactical strategies and training, then sure, a Max-D 5000 user could beat a CPS 3000 user. I'm not saying I'm one of these people though. :goofy:
In our first water war (soakfest hidden-flag CTF), no one knew how to use the CPS 2500 and CPS 2000 at least half-decently, so it was very well possible in that situation for anyone to outblast either CPS with the Max-I Flash Flood that I just got at the time. To be honest, I almost picked the Overload over the FF when I was shopping the day before. It's odd because both blasters share a similar weakness, and the pumping demands aren't all that different. One is much lighter than the other though.

Since then, almost no one who's unable to use such a blaster would pick it, but such users still remain effective enough with other blasters to use them well. I myself still prefer the 2500 for the smaller nozzle options which still get good range.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:20 pm

I can just agree. Whenever I use CPS 2500 or CPS 3000 I use 5X:: . Just in case there is a near fight, or enemies may jump out right before you I choose 20 X:: I hardly ever use the 10 X::, since I like the longer firing time and good range on the 5 X:: and on the other hand the power and maddness of the 20 X::...

Great thing :D

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:53 pm

10x gives a good balance of potency and range. It technically has better range than 5x as well, but the slightly lower stream velocity may be a problem.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare