Of Guns and Water Guns / Water Blasters

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Of Guns and Water Guns / Water Blasters

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:01 pm

As much as I hate diving into potentially sensitive topics, with the recent happenings in the US with a number of school shootings as well as stories of ridiculous measures imposed on others regarding mock weaponry (or even non-weaponry i.e. Pennsylvania girl, 5, suspended for talk of 'shooting' a Hello Kitty 'bubble gun'), I am fearing a harder crackdown on water blasters in and around some areas simply because they are "gun"-like.

Using phrases like "soaking" as opposed to "shooting", "blasters" as opposed to "guns", etc. goes only so far and, let's face it, many use these terms fairly interchangeably.

I realize some schools already ban bringing any "gun-like" item onto school grounds. My fear is that if ridiculous laws end up proposed banning our "gun-like" water blasters from public areas like parks, beaches, and other recreational areas. While I hope that common sense prevails, common sense seems to be rather uncommon these days when mass hysteria takes control.

Not sure there's much we can do, especially given the small size of our community, but perhaps someone here may have thoughts on what we can do to preserve our sport. While I'm all for doing what we can to ensure personal safety and the safety of others, I just worry that some may try to target activities like water wars and Nerf dart wars and, in light of more recent happenings, gain more support while not doing anything useful to solve the problems of people who shouldn't have real guns having real guns.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Of Guns and Water Guns / Water Blasters

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:08 pm

That's really sad. I remember an old member (zero?) said he got suspended for having a Monster X keychain. I wouldn't be surprised if he was shooting er squirting someone with it though. Fortunately I don't see this affecting me where I'm moving. Last semester I was in school my roommates used to drive to school with their shotguns in the car. This was common practice because so many people go duck hunting in MS.

Fortunately, I think airsoft guns and maybe even paintball and nerf guns are ahead of waterguns when it comes to what looks potentially threatening. So we would probably see crackdowns on airsoft or nerf -which would hopefully lead to protests - before it got to our level. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I don't think it will.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Fishfan

Post by Fishfan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:03 pm

Yeah, I hope so too. My dad recently said to me that kids get suspended from school by pointing a finger at someone in a gun shape :goofy:.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:17 pm

Honestly, I don't see too much changing, and heck I work in Newtown. Schools are one thing, but I think water guns will be in the clear with parks. The guy we met on the way into the Theater at Long Beach West thought it was a great idea and that ranger at Umstead was perfectly fine with letting us shoot WBLs at/from canoes...lol. Nerfers are much more likely to have problems since Nerf guns look more realistic. A water gun, for the most part, doesn't look like anything else.

It really depends where you live. Areas that are lax will probably remain lax and areas that are tight will probably remain tight. In high school, we had assassins games with modified Nerf guns and some were definitely in the school. I used my monster x pen in class and at track practice randomly squirting people. And then in college, HvZ was highly popular, with nerf guns openly carried everywhere.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:32 pm

I agree with marauder; almost every airsoft gun I've ever seen is modeled off of a real weapon, as well as some paintball guns. The only things I'd be slightly concerned about are our blacked-out/camoed guns and launchers. Some of you laughed at me for not covering the orange nozzles on (most of) my camoed blasters; reminds me of the people in some town (don't remember the name) that laughed at this guy who built a tornado shelter, saying that a tornado would never hit them. Then the town did get hit and nobody except that one guy and his family survived... But DX is probably right; unless you live in a big city or something, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Personally, I think this whole gun-paranoia thing is incredibly stupid. My thoughts on the matter can be summed up by this picture.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:17 pm

ouch i can imagine it. its totally unconstitutional, but has that stopped the current administration ever? no. i don't think it will get to this point, but if it does, i will be fighting to reverse it, thats for sure. I heard of a little girl who innocently bit into her pizza in a way that resembled a hand gun. she claimed to have done it on accident, but was expelled anyway. it is ludicrous to expel her whether or not she meant to, but she was.
"The world is yours" - Nas

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Duxburian wrote:Honestly, I don't see too much changing, and heck I work in Newtown. Schools are one thing, but I think water guns will be in the clear with parks. The guy we met on the way into the Theater at Long Beach West thought it was a great idea and that ranger at Umstead was perfectly fine with letting us shoot WBLs at/from canoes...lol. Nerfers are much more likely to have problems since Nerf guns look more realistic. A water gun, for the most part, doesn't look like anything else.
The runner we met on the way to the theater actually asked if we were going to have an airsoft or paintball fight at Long Beach. DX or somebody said no we are going to have a watergun fight. His actual response was, "Wow, that's even more diesel."

It was great to run into him. For those of you who weren't there, this guy had worked at the park in the 80s before it got torn apart and turned into a "ghost town." He told us about the history of the place which was actually pretty interesting.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:10 am

I had a feeling this topic would end up something like this.
Anywho, it's nothing really new, and we definitely shouldn't worry about it.
Whether or not you try to do something about it... that's up to you.
In any case, a gun is merely a weapon. If people were running around with swords and crossbows instead, the situation would be the same. Until something major is done about mental illness there will always be tragedies.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.