Clash of the Titans: Colossus vs Colossus 2

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
DX

Clash of the Titans: Colossus vs Colossus 2

Post by DX » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Almost the whole new Buzz Bee line is now available here (timed perfectly with snow and negative wind chills), so I picked up the Colossus 2 for testing against the original. Detailed results will appear in a new article later. What I can say now is that:

Range: The Colossus outshoots the Colossus 2 on every nozzle. The difference is not much on N3 and N9, which they both share. It is significant on N7 vs N5, greater than 4 feet for sure and maybe as much as 7 feet. It is too cold and windy to attempt measured ranges right now. The margin of difference on several shots was taller than I am, I can say that though.

Output: As mentioned above, the downgrade from N7 to N5 is a big step down, not a small one as it looks on paper.

Shot Time: The Colossus has longer shot time than the Colossus 2, owing to its larger PC. Much more of the stream comes out at high power with the original. The Colossus 2's peak power is good, but does not last very long, forcing the user to pump frequently. This is noticeable even on the N3 nozzle.

Pumping: The Colossus 2's PRV does not freak out like the original's when you hit high pressure. However, its pump is considerably louder and stiffer. The difference in pumping noise is one of the most striking differences between these two models. The pump handle on the Colossus 2 offers less grip for users with larger hands. Pump volume appears to be similar if not the same.

Reservoir: If the Colossus 2 holds less water, it certainly doesn't show it. The reservoir is large and feels more sturdy than the original. It outlasts the Colossus when shooting N5 vs N7, although that's to be expected. The Colossus 2 is harder to fill in a shallow sink, but the cap is better placed, so you can easily fill the whole reservoir.

Nozzles: Note that the nozzle plate is inverted on the Colossus 2. If you memorized the order of nozzles on the Colossus, you will need to relearn it for the 2.

Special Features: The "Angle Meter" on the 2 is actually useful. Not on that gun, as its side placement makes it hard to see, but to help correct your aim on other guns. The angle meter may end up being the most useful part of the whole blaster as it is now possible to accurately line up guns to the sweet spot when testing. No more guessing or trying to rig things to help with the angle. Simply take it out of the 2 and attach it to the gun you want to test. The Python 2 also ships with an angle meter in it and would be a cheaper source of these things.

Size: The Colossus and Colossus 2 are essentially the same size. The 2 is a little bit taller and the original is a little bit longer. The boxes are almost identical in length and width, a point proven when both are examined in person. In pictures, the 2's box looks smaller, as Buzz Bee has found ways to reduce cardboard.

Balance: Because of the extended casing, the Colossus 2 feels better balanced than the original. The reservoir doesn't jiggle around as much and the body does not taper as much vertically.

Look and Feel: The Colossus 2 repeats much of the original color scheme, but the black reservoir and new sticker style give it a more serious vibe than the original. The 2's reservoir joins the Raven as the most badass looking reservoirs among all water guns, imo. The 2 has a support that joins the pistol grip and bottom reservoir support. This essentially acts like a stock, making it comfortable to fire. The 2 feels much more solid than the original due to casing enclosing more of the PC and reservoir. However, some of the casing is unnecessary and a step back toward pre-Colossus Buzz Bee models. The pump area is noticeably larger than the original and the casing over the top of the PC in the 2 would be just part of the PC in the original. Why the PC had to be cased over and shrunken accordingly, with a less efficient pump area supporting that smaller PC, is a huge mystery to me. Finally, the 2 has a more angular, geometry feel than the original. There are 7 trapezoids in the design. The original has a smooth, rolling feel, with horizontal and vertical curves.

The Verdict: The Colossus 2 improves upon the design of the original, with a more sturdy feel all-around. It looks more hardcore and easily outperforms everything in Hasbro's 2013 lineup. However, if you are primarily after performance, stay with your original Colossus or Gorgon. If two users of equal skill came to a duel, with all else held equal, the Colossus user would be expected to hit the Colossus 2 user more often. The original has superior range and shot time, with better stealth capabilities and similar field life. The Colossus 2 can definitely take on the original, but its peak power is short lived in comparison. This is a matchup where usable shot time would really make itself felt, a big deal when it comes to air pressure guns. CPS can get away with brief shot times, but air pressure guns need a good showing above 70% range. This is where the Colossus 2 really falls short (pun intended).

Keep your original Colossus!
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Clash of the Titans: Colossus vs Colossus 2

Post by SEAL » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Awesome! Love the title too. I think iSoaker.com needs a section on "blaster comparisons". (And by that I mean written comparisons, not stat comparisons.) This really reminds me of the car comparisons that magazines (Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc.) do, and I think doing it with soakers is awesome.

With that said, I'm not all that surprised at the results. We knew that the 2 had a smaller PC and a smaller nozzle. The 2 does definitely look more comfortable to hold though. I hate it when manufacturers put those plastic "guards" (not sure what you'd call them) around the trigger grip, and I'm glad that the Colossus 2 eschewed it. It's really annoying for people with larger hands (I found this annoying when I used a Colossus, and my hands aren't all that big), and it's my second-biggest complaint about the MD 6000 (number 1 is the valve mech).

Now for some questions; how's the lamintation? I'm going to guess it's no better than the original. Also, what does the Python 2 look like and how many new BBT blasters are there that we haven't seen on this board yet?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Sweet! You guys with earlier access to new water blasters in your area - it's only January! :goofy: The smaller PC having less performance isn't surprising (just am surprised a touch by the smaller PC, but that's another story). However, with better balance, though not as potent as the original, still sounds like a solid choice and better than any of the 2013 Nerf Super Soakers seen.

As for a written "blaster comparisons" section for iSoaker.com, I'm all for it and welcome anyone who wants to write up articles to do so. I'm just out of bandwidth and, well, there are so many possible blasters that could/should get more in-depth comparison articles done.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:12 pm

The lamination looks about the same. Have not found a way to objectively measure and compare lamination, though.

If you had a text messaging plan or were on Skype more often, I could share these things with you much more easily :p I found the Gargoyle, Outlaw, Hydro Current, Steady Stream 2, Python 2, and Colossus 2 at Walmart. An additional blaster referenced on a box, Drench 'n Blast, was not on the shelf. I only picked up the Colossus 2 for now. I would have picked up the Drench 'n Blast if it had been available, because it looks like it has a separate chamber. If you go on Skype, I can send you the pics from the isle.

While it would be tempting to pick up the whole line and check it all out...hello I'm neither iSoaker nor made of money. But, if you think there's enough interest...I could get the Hydro Current and Python 2 at least. The Outlaw looks just like any old Equalizer and the SS2 is a re-release. Problem with a Python 2 comparison article is that I lack an original Python. If I pick that up, someone has to be willing to trade a Python for it :p
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Fishfan
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Fishfan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:32 pm

What does the gargoyle look like?

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Very interesting. I have a Python. We can work together.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:32 am

This is disappointing. I was hoping for improvements in the 2013 WW lineup.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:49 am

wetmonkey442 wrote:This is disappointing. I was hoping for improvements in the 2013 WW lineup.
While the Colossus 2 seems to be a little lower in performance than the original Colossus, I'd consider 2013 to be an adjustment year for a number of things. As well, there be the other new Water Warriors water blasters that need to be tested as well. Besides, one thing that did improve in the Colossus 2 appears to be its ergonomics, being a better balanced blaster. Now that BBT needs to do is take the general frame, but put either the original Colossus' PC back or a double chamber and we'd be good to go. At least the reservoir capacity seems to have been left mostly untouched and I do like the newer styling, but I'm biased. :goofy:

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:12 pm

I like how the old colussus looked better, and it's a shame that they made adding a strap impossible as it needs one.
Doesn't matter much to me as I wouldn't have wanted either anyway but friends might want them. What do you think is the best gun on the market today, so I know what to recamend to friends?
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Duxburian wrote:If you had a text messaging plan or were on Skype more often, I could share these things with you much more easily :p I found the Gargoyle, Outlaw, Hydro Current, Steady Stream 2, Python 2, and Colossus 2 at Walmart. An additional blaster referenced on a box, Drench 'n Blast, was not on the shelf. I only picked up the Colossus 2 for now. I would have picked up the Drench 'n Blast if it had been available, because it looks like it has a separate chamber. If you go on Skype, I can send you the pics from the isle.
There is still something called "email", y'know. :goofy: But for pics, no worries. I should start putting up place-holder pages for all these new items on iSoaker.com.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Use of email is one way to tell the difference between the internet species Homo sapiens moderno and Homo sapiens obsoleto. :p

Seriously though, most of the people I know have become disenfranchised with email, along with voicemail and facsimile. Even forum PM is going the way of the dinosaurs, although it has the advantage of being in a place that is checked frequently. The "instant" methods are taking over, not because of laziness, but because real-time communication is key to organizing things. If you try to reach someone by snail mail methods, it can take days to complete even the most basic conversation even though they are available by other means. If you'd only known their phone number or Skype name, you might have been able to have that conversation in 5 minutes. If you've got something to say that's important and time sensitive, text message is unbeatable on the go, unless they are like the Brandons of the world with no messaging plan :p Skype is unbeatable from a computer, with much more power than phones to transfer files of any size while retaining audio capability.

One hybrid I like though is Facebook messages. It's like email, but updates instantly like text messages if you want. Most people use FB msgs like email, but you can exchange hundreds of msgs in a few hours if you want to really talk.

I don't think the Colossus 2 really needs a strap. It's feather light, even when overloaded. I don't even use straps on my 2000s, except ironically when empty. If you want to mount one, there is more space on the 2 than the original for sure. Just drill holes where you want to run it through.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm

I'm going to avoid going into a debate over the true usefulness of texting and Skype. :goofy: While I use Skype daily for work, it's not my preferred means for pushing around files that are non-urgent.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:27 pm

I actually thought the balance on the original Colossus was near perfect - for me. Maybe I'm in the minority. If the Colossus 2 is easier for some people to move with then that's good. People have different preferences. Some guns (EG Vindicator, Explorer, Renegade, etc) have balance issues that almost everyone can agree on. I don't see the Colossus in that category.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:55 pm

I liked the balance, but the grip was a little too tight for me. I'm glad the Colossus 2 got rid of the "hand guard" thing. There's really no point in having it.

The only problem I have with Skype is that it requires you to sit in front of the computer for a long time. It's good if you're doing something else on the computer at the same time (like writing something for school), but the PM system is still probably my preferred method of communication.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Well, most info on the Water Warriors Colossus 2 is known already, but I just pushed up my Water Warriors Colossus 2 review to provide a few more stats on the blaster for those interested. For those wanting to see a quick comparison between the Colossus 2 and the original Colossus, you'll see that the Colossus 2 has generally lower output and shot times since its pressure chamber is smaller. Once time and weather permits, I will be doing range testing on all 2013 water blasters I have, but I can almost guess what to expect based on older models.

Splatterpunk

Post by Splatterpunk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:50 am

I was so disappointed when a Colossus 2 arrived through the post (I had ordered a Colossus 1) that I sent it back. Instead I decided to buy the Python 2 and I have not been disappointed. Stats-wise it's not much different from the Colossus 2 in performance except shot times are much longer because of the combined reservoir/pressure chamber and it's smaller, more ergonomic as a large pistol and easy to pump and fire.

I'm now using it in conjunction with a Nerf Hydro Canon. Fantastic combo! For those of us who cannot afford a vintage CPS).

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:07 am

Welcome to WWN Splatterpunk! I think a lot of people here were pleasantly surprised by the Python 2, and most of us agree that the Colossus 2's downfall is its short shot time - which is what I didn't like about the Ultimate Explorer either. Have you modded your Hydrocannon?

darthmeow

Post by darthmeow » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:38 pm

Welcome Splatterpunk. Did you try out the colossus 2 before returning it? I actually think it is more powerful than the python 2, but the python 2 is a much better side arm.

Splatterpunk

Post by Splatterpunk » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:34 am

Water blasters are finally back in stock for summer, one retail store still have some Water Warriors Colossus 2 at 40% off last year's price and seeing that it was either that or some cheap knock off or a Super Soaker Barrage at some inflated price I thought I'd give it a go (I wanted to try a bigger reservoir blaster anyway).

The Colossus 2 has three nozzle options similar to the Python 2 with similar outputs, it does have a slightly better range but only by a couple of feet which makes little difference when running about dodging streams. The separate PC is welcome for pumping purposes as is the larger reservoir, allowing more shots per fill then that of the Python 2 (and apparently also more than the original Colossus). However, this also means that the Python 2's PR gives significantly longer shot times especially in N9 mode where a stand-off will leave you soaked and re-pumping while the other guy with the Python 2 continues to drench you! In most water fights this scenario is unlikely - so long as you don't find yourself cornered! Ergonomics are fantastic, and it really does make a bigger difference than I would usually admit to. It really is comfortable to use and manoeuvre, although it's only slightly larger than a Python 2 it does feel slightly too big to use used as an oversized pistol and lends more to being a light/medium rifle.

The only real negative I have to say about the Colossus 2 is the shocking quality of the plastic. It's not terrible, and is similar to that used in the Steady Stream 2. It's still way better than any of the knock offs, but it's just that the Python 2 uses stiffer and much better quality plastic which is surprising as they were both released at the same time in 2013.

As for modding the Hydro Canon, all the mods I've seen are for turning it into a foam blaster which I'm not that interested in. I would like to see if there are any nozzle mods that work though.