How much do you pre-pump?

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

How much do you pre-pump?

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:25 pm

I just learned something cool about my gorgon, If you give it a MASSIVE 40 pumps of air range drop is super small (about 5-10') over the whole shot. So how much air do you pump in your AP guns ?
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

isoaker

Re: How much do you pre-pump?

Post by isoaker » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:55 pm

Good for you to find out, but its definitely something fairly well known for separate air pressure chamber water blasters. For me, I prepump in air pretty much until a new pump isn't really able to push in any more air. The challenge is, of course, not then shooting out water for too long and then unintentionally letting out some of the pre-pressurized air. Then again, if one sticks to mostly tap shots and short, controlled bursts, shooting too long isn't usually much of a problem. All output tests done for iSoaker.com are measured by pre-pressurizing the blasters that way.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

soakinader

Re: How much do you pre-pump?

Post by soakinader » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:20 pm

I just had an interesting idea... for a homemade that has one pump for air, and one pump for water, kind of like Water Warriors prechargers (Krypton, Argon, Xenon) except without the seperator, or maybe with a seperator, but placed vertically so that water is pumped into the bottom and air into the top. Actually, what if it had a large vertical chamber with the seperator in place so that, when the chamber was "empty" (no water) the remaining space held a fixed volume of air (which you could pressurize at will), and when you pumped water into the chamber, the air would start to compress. But after firing the water, the same volume of air is available for power. No more mist shots, no more pre-pumping (well... more than once, that is). And yes, there would be an air pressure release valve somewhere.

Both of my XP 150's work great without and air pumping (Read: they are hard to pump), and if I try to pre-pump the chambers, I end up with equal or worse shots, strangely enough. I have seen decent improvements with other air pressure guns (like my SS300), but it is less noticeable on guns with smaller PC's.
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.