Hands-On: Super Soaker: Dino Hunter's Gear

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Hands-On: Super Soaker: Dino Hunter's Gear

Post by isoaker » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 am

Mentioned a little while ago, but I finally got around to taking some pics and measuring a few stats on this rather hard-to-find water blaster.

Pics of the Super Soaker: Dino Hunter's Gear

Released along with Jurassic Park: The Lost World in 1997, this Jurassic Park-themed Super Soaker seems to be unique in its design as opposed to simply being a recolored pre-existing Super Soaker model. It features a small backpack reservoir, hose connector, and an air pressure blaster portion that has a pressurized air chamber. It's also one of the few Super Soakers that comes with a camo-style color scheme. The size of the nozzle seems standard and my guess is that it would perform along the lines of an XP220 or XP240. Due to its rarity, I currently have no plans to remove it from its packaging, thus only some dimensions are available. I may attempt to do some volume measuring if I can find some appropriate tubing, but unless I get my hands on an open one, since these can't be purchased generally, performance testing will not be done.

Still a neat item to see from Super Soaker's past.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Hands-On: Super Soaker: Dino Hunter's Gear

Post by SEAL » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:56 am

Oooh, a rarity! It's always neat to see blasters like these that nobody knows about. Reminds me of the GI Joe soaker and the WWF series (that consisted of two blasters, haha.).

Definitely like the camo paint-job though! Saves you the trouble of painting it! Of course, if it does perform like an XP 220/240, I doubt anyone would want to use it in a war, unless it's an air-pressure-only round or something.

By the way, is that a pressure chamber on the "gun" part? Why is it shaped like that?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:44 am

Very interesting. BTW, you have a link to SSC's XP 85 review on the pictures page.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Haha, what a great find! Congrats isoaker :) I really loved these great films when they just came out, lol Super Soaker was very good in the past :) ALthough I would not use this dinosaur gun against a real dinosaur weather then just running as fast as I could :D

Also fine to see which technologies they used to use in former times. The pressure chamber remembers me to the XP 75's pressure tank, with the only difference that you push in water from a backpack and not simply air :)

Very nice, and even in original box... Would really be interested where you get all these guns always from :D

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:12 pm

I thought the Jurassic Park movies were kind of dumb (albeit funny.), haha. But to each his own.

As to where he got it, I'm pretty sure that this same one was listed on Ebay a few months ago, for somewhere around $40-60 USD. I'm still wondering why the PC is shaped like that...
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:57 am

GJIV wrote:Very nice, and even in original box... Would really be interested where you get all these guns always from :D
As SEAL noted, rarities like these are sometimes posted on eBay. It's a matter of both being lucky enough to find the listing and being able to get it either before someone else does or being lucky enough to win if there's a bidding war. I would have had one earlier had I not lost out in a previous auction. :goofy: Otherwise, some other rarities I've just stumbled across in garage sales, small town toy shops, random trade shows, etc. Simply put, whenever I'm out, I always am on the look out for what water blasters are available since you never know where a gem pops up.

Regarding the shape of the PC, as GJIV said, it is similar to how the XP75 looks. Not an optimal shape, but it is functional and fits the styling of the blaster portion. Were it a more appropriate ball shape or if it were vertically positioned, though better from a performance point-of-view, it would look odd aesthetically.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:40 pm

That's adorable! Nice find!

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:13 pm

I wish the CPS line had come in camo like that, the yellow PC blows your cover though.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:25 am

The WWF Stone Cold is camo and CPS. You'd probably have to drill out the nozzle to get good range/power out of it though. It's kinda rare, so I never did that to mine.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.