Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Battle Shield

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Battle Shield

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 pm

The Nerf Super Soaker Battle Shield is an inflatable vinyl shield branded with Nerf Super Soaker for use in water wars.

The shield, itself, requires inflation to function. All parts are inflatable including the handle. This makes for the shield to feel somewhat floppy if it is not fully inflated and, even if so, since air compresses, the handle never quite feels solid.

The shield also features "tactical ports" which, for all intents and purposes, are holes. I suppose this is to make it fairer to one's non-shielded opponents, but this really reduces the usefulness of the shield.

For now, pictures are posted of the Nerf Super Soaker Battle Shield packaging. A review for this item is under development.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Battle Shield

Post by SEAL » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:24 pm

I'd rather have a solid shield than an inflatable one, but I suppose it fits into a smaller package if it's inflatable, since you can just deflate it. I wonder why they show a picture of a guy blocking a football with it? I'd think that it's primary use would be for blocking shots from water blasters and water balloons.

I've never used a shield in battle before, and I probably never will. All they do is make you less maneuverable, and don't work as well for water wars as they would for say, a Nerf war, since you can angle your shots. I did come up with a counter for shields years ago though, just in case.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:52 pm

SEAL wrote:I wonder why they show a picture of a guy blocking a football with it?
That's not a football; it's a Nerf Super Soaker Soaker Burst water dispensing device. It's akin to a reuseable water ballon-type thing, but instead of being made of water absorbent material, they are made of denser foam with a bunch of holes drilled into it for holding water. Testing to be done, though I don't have high hopes on them.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Oh, yeah. Hmm, now I have to know, will the "Soaker Burst" fit into a 3" PVC pipe? :lol:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:21 pm

Notice there is a huge part of the box that says "You WILL Get Wet!" Sounds like the shield workes really well… :oo:
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:00 pm

I'd take my shield blaster 3000 over this any day, much more sturdy and it has offensive abilities to boot! I think the shield surface might be bigger too...
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:11 pm

The only shields I'd consider using would be umbrellas or tarps. The umbrella is the ultimate shield - customizably large, featherlight, protection from many angles, mountable, and designed for taking a lot of water. It's not something I'd want to put up against a WBL, which is why the tarp is second. A tarp could take a direct hit from something more powerful, albeit with more clumsy protection against everything else. Dodging is still better than shielding because you have your full 360 degree field of vision open. Blocking can be useful though, so a small "shield" can be a plus. The best place for something like that is on your gun, which gives you the benefits of the shield while freeing up both hands to pump and fire at the same time. Most big guns can be used to block shots as-is, so there's little point to attaching something extra.

Having 2 people to work with is an easy counter for someone with a shield. The universal counter for everything, ambushing, suffices if you don't. Otherwise, you are kind of stuck trying to hit exposed angles, an annoyance with a stream of water, if you don't have much shot time.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:04 am

atvan wrote:Notice there is a huge part of the box that says "You WILL Get Wet!" Sounds like the shield workes really well… :oo:
/threadwon

Seriously, this is hilarious. I honestly believe SS is reaching out to an older audience with all of this, yet it seems so much more suited to younger children.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

thelaminator
Location: By the time you've read this, It's likely changed again

Post by thelaminator » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:28 pm

marauder wrote:
atvan wrote:Notice there is a huge part of the box that says "You WILL Get Wet!" Sounds like the shield workes really well… :oo:
/threadwon

Seriously, this is hilarious. I honestly believe SS is reaching out to an older audience with all of this, yet it seems so much more suited to younger children.

"Huston, we have a problem"

"what?"

"That person on the other team has an inflatable shield with random holes in it"

"... Problem?"
[This account has been abandoned. Posts made by this account do not reflect the current views of the original account owner.]
[This account has not been terminated, for archival reasons.]

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:04 am

Pushed up pictures of the actual shield
Oddly, I didn't take any pictures of the "Soaker Burst" device. I'll fix that soon.

Not much to look at for the shield, granted, being only ~1'x1.25'. Hope to push up a few more thoughts on it soon. Need to also post up more info on the Nerf Super Soaker Rocket Dart and Pool Splash Mats.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:10 am

Interestingly, the shield itself says Hasbro, not Perpetual Play on it. Seems to come with a repair patch too (incase of attack by :cps2000: :aph: or :supercannon: I presume :goofy: ).