Guns for Fun

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
RC20

Guns for Fun

Post by RC20 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:44 am

I am spending a week at a lake house with 6 kids ranging from 4 to 11 yrs old. I'm planning on getting six soakers and just want to know which ones you think would be the most fun for these guys.

I was thinking of getting six different soakers with a couple on the small side for the littlest or should I just get something like six WW Colossus?

Thanks in advance--I've never used any of these and appreciate your time and help. Sorry if I have violated any board protocols/etiquette.

-RC

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Guns for Fun

Post by marauder » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:10 am

Hey RC, welcome to the boards. We are a laid back bunch... I mean this is watergun fights we're talking about here. If you're looking for a community that gets pissed off about every little thing you might want to try the nerf forums. :D

I have a few recommendations as per your question. First, the Colossus would be great for the older (8+) kids. It's very powerful, has 3 different fun nozzle choices, and carries a lot of water despite being fairly light weight. The Water Warriors Python is a great choice that would be suitable for anyone in the 6+ crowd. It's smaller than the Colossus and doesn't hold as much water but it shoots a lot of water, is lightweight, and it also has 3 different nozzle settings. The Water Warriors Renegade is a nice medium between the Colossus and the Python, you might want to pick one of those up. Since you're going to be out on the lake I'd recommend getting a Stream Machine or 2. These are basically big syringes, you pull the pump back sucking water out of the lake and then push it forward again to launch it up to 50 ft or further. This is the most powerful watergun you can get, and it's a lot of fun to watch the giant streams of water being launched through the air. The downside is that you have to refill after every shot. For your 4 year old I'm not really sure what to recommend. The easiest gun to use would be the Super Soaker Electrostorm. It's a battery powered pistol that fires as long as you hold down the trigger. The drawback is that it's incredibly weak... it's really a joke among all of us here. Based off my own experience I'd probably go with the Super Soaker Scatterblast. It's about the same size as the Python and it fires every time you pump it. It's not as powerful as the Water Warriors guns, but it does shoot a fun shotgun/shower blast of water, and if your 4 year old lacks the muscular stamina or attention span to pump multiple times between shots, this is probably a good option.

Have fun at the lake!
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:31 pm

Man, thank you so much!!

I have been searching the internet relentlessly for reviews and spent time at isoaker and what not--but nothing, NOTHING, was as helpful as the paragraph you just wrote. Exactly the kind of info I've been looking for. I want my kids to have fun and I don't have extra dollars to waste so your input is invaluable to me.

Thanks again! Hopefully this is a fun topic--what soakers are great for just fun among young kids but not necessarily the most tactically superior for battles? Perhaps sometimes these two goals align.

And my only experience with message boards is football related (I am a Browns fan--a burden given to me by birth) and they are a pissy bunch with a lot of unwritten board protocols that you learn over time.

RC

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:00 pm

No problem, that's what boards are for. Unfortunately, most websites are a bit behind the times when it comes to gun reviews. I plan on catching up when I'm back from Afghanistan.

Here's a picture of what the Stream Machine is capable of:
As you can see, it's great for using at the lake.

There's some pictures of the Colossus in combat here on our fb page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 767&type=3

I mean, the whole point of all of this is too have fun, and if kids can have fun for a few dollars then all the better. I'm buying my nephews some Star Wars super soakers. They don't shoot a lot of water, but you can get them for ~$3 sometimes on ebay, the designs are top quality like movie props, and my nephews are practically obsessed with Star Wars, so I know they'll love them. Of course, I'll also enjoy destroying them with better guns - like the Colossus or old CPS Super Soakers - next year, but really all that matters is that you're having fun with the family.

I think if I were a Browns fan I think I'd have a lot more to worry about than whether or not someone abided by an unwritten message board code haha. I'm a Panthers fan, so I know what it means to be down, but I also think Cam Newton's the future.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:22 pm

I agree with what Marauder4 has said, but I just want to add one thing. Make sure you do not fill the guns in the lake unless the water is very clear! The Stream Machines will all be fine, but especaly some of the smaller guns could be jammed by just a little bit of dirt floating in the water. Fill a water bottle first, this way you can tell how clean the water is before you fill the guns with it.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

RC20

Post by RC20 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:59 pm

Great pic marauder - definitely looks like it will fit the bill! I just purchased a couple online for $19 each and I'm gonna grab a couple Colossus (Colossi?) at the Kmart on the way to the lake.

Thanks again. Good luck in Afghanistan and thank you.

BTW, I am living in NC. Not a Panthers fan, but Newton is unreal. I think he's going to be best QB in the league in a couple seasons. They need another receiver and an actual secondary.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:50 am

Welcome, RC20, to the boards!

Seems like marauder4 and scottthewaterwarrior have already done a great job at addressing your questions. This leads me to one question for myself; what sort of additional information would you like to see added to water blaster reviews? Recommended user age? Something else?

I do like marauder4's quick summary of what is currently available. I used to create similar sorts of blaster summaries, but somehow that has been overlooked recently. I should fix that.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Andrew

Post by Andrew » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:44 pm

How about a shot blast? A bit heavier than alternative pump-to-fire blasters, but will give weaker users an advantage in that they can achieve it's full range without too much effort. Styling will win over the older ones too. Most piston blasters' range depend, to some extent, on how hard (and fast) you pump it, because the pump is directly connected to the nozzle. With a shot blast, you can pump it more slowly with less force, and still achieve max. range as it has an spring based accumulator pressure chamber between the pump and nozzle. Same force applied to the water with every shot. :D

An electrostorm or other small pistol (microburst, point break or goblin maybe?) for the really young ones. Reasonable power yet small and easy to use. It probably is a good idea to give the really really young ones something battery or pump based as it's simply easier for them to use.

Other than that, M4's suggestions are pretty solid choices. I've seen attachments for stream machines, with a tube which you just dump in the lake, so you can draw water into it without having to dip the nozzle it into the water all the time. If you go out in boats this could be quite useful.