Poll Best cannon

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.

Best heavy gun

CPS 2000
53%
CPS 2500
24%
CPS 3000
18%
CPS 2700
No votes
CPS 3200
No votes
MONSTER X
No votes
MONSTER XL
No votes
Other ( please sessifly )
6%

Total votes: 17

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Poll Best cannon

Post by the oncoming storm » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 am

I want to see what we think the best heavy wepon is.
Last edited by the oncoming storm on Tue May 01, 2012 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

carbonate

Re: Poll Best cannon

Post by carbonate » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:45 pm

For Base Defense (Defensive)
1: MXL - never run dry of firing chamber; at fixed position with hose it is unstoppable
2: 3200 - with seemingly unlimited water supply, this beast will keep enemies at the bay at any outpost (without hose)
3: 2000 - on 30X fixed it is the ultimate cannon - monster of 1-shot KO with unlimited ammo at base, this beast isn't going to be leashed to the lamp-post to conserve.
2: 2500 - on 10X setting it is a beast; almost same as 2K blast with higher practicality on the field, but offering less intimidation
5: M-X - highly balanced stat weapon with Quick Fill for additional advantage at fixed defense position, but chamber small and quickly pumped therefore not as enhanced as MXL
6: 3000 - similar specs to 3.2K, but less attractive due to flimsy reservoir; does not matter at outpost defense though
7: 2700 - heavy reservoir, but limited power; still is a beast of a cannon

Heavy Assault (Offensive)
1: 2500 - the most practical and versatile cannon for offensive. Variable nozzle settings paired with reasonable reservoir size offer extended field life. It is high power within a highly compact package just dying to unleash power on unsuspecting foes. All of its nozzle will send foes to the hills whether it be 5X, 10X, or 20X (close range sure-kill engagement)
2: 2700 - the high reservoir and the 2X setting on this blaster will let you going on and on, when feeling like soaking, just switch to 10X and just dominate the field. A little on the heavy side, but older audience would not have trouble hauling the beast
3: M-X - similar rationale and battle doctrine to the 2.5K, however it's usefulness diminishes with lack of QFD away from the base. The beast will still cause mayhem on the battlefield like the 2.5K, but at a smaller scale.
4: 3200 - this yellow sucker will go own up anything that gets near it. You are the fire bat of the squad. Paired up with old-school CPS power of 2.5K with unlimited ammo, there will be enough juice to annihilate an enemy defensive position. Its mobility falls far below 2.5K however, but hey you are a tank when you are equipped with this. Hard shell reservoir enhances mobility from its older brethren. Problem is you have to get to your target first to own them.
5: 2000 - You are the fire-hose of the field... 30X nozzle offers sure-kill shot if it hits (best dedicated for sniper & ambush fires). Problem is you only get 3 shots off the tank if you are using MK1 and you are out of the juice
6: MXL - This weapon is powerful, like two 2700, however its weight is prohibiting and like 2K it gets few shots per tank. Also requires many pumps to get the juice going.
7: 3000 - it is the older brethren of the 3.2K, everything is the same, but the soft-shell backpack reduces mobility severely in the field.

Personal Ranking
2.5K > 2K > 3.2K > M-X > MXL > 3K > 2.7K

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Where's the 300???? On Hydrowar I also consider Monsters, 4100s, 1500s, and 1700s heavy weapons. I could argue that their payload is more in the category of 2500s and 2700s than the same category as 1000s/2100s/1200s.

I really like your writeup Carbonate. The MXL is a pretty good base defense weapon, but I wouldn't pick it above the CPS guns. I've always been disappointed with the Monster X, but I've never used one in a serious battle. I don't think there is much difference between the 3200 and 3000, but then again I've only ever used 3200s. There seems to be a lot of variation in the 3200s. Isoaker's 3200 doesn't seem to have much power, and DX tells me his isn't as powerful as 2500s or 1500s either. On the other side of things, both 3200s I've owned have shot a legitimate 45 feet. With the extra capacity, nozzle options, and shot time I would definitely pick those 3200s over 2500s or 1500s any day of the week.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Jeffman3

Post by Jeffman3 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:02 pm

I know I'm going to get lynched for this, but I voted "Other" in reference to the HC. Sure, it's not nearly so nice as the older models, but... Well. I could look for months and not find any of the older blasters for sale near here- not to mention the fact that any "real" blasters as they are called are so far out of my price range it's ridiculous! My limit for a soaker is about $15 and both of the HCs I purchased were under $13... Some of us just don't have the money to relive the glory days, and in the few small scale wars I've gotten into out here my lightly modified (like $2 in parts) HC so grossly outperformed even some of the older blasters (Max D 6k my buddy was using is the first that comes to mind) that I'm perfectly happy with the performance.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Tue May 01, 2012 8:20 pm

Iv'e alterd the poll, pray I don't alter it any futher. Let me know if you get the reference.

DX

Post by DX » Thu May 03, 2012 1:08 am

Here is my opinion on these soakers, assuming a few things:

- Stock only
- No hoses
- Large playing area
- A competitive gametype (OHK or OHS in some form)

Generic Offense

1: CPS 2000 - Most consistent and reliable killer; the enemy definitely knows when they've been hit. This is the most powerful of all the CPS guns and it has the highest range, which is vital on the attack. It does chew through water quickly, but an experienced user can drag it out for a good amount of time. The old gold standard was 6-7 tap shots per full shot, for an overloaded total of 28 tap shots. However, during 2011 Downpour I was getting 8-9 tap shots per full shot, indicating that your trigger finger can increase in speed the more you use it. So, the 2000 can achieve 32-36 taps and it's enough for what it's intended to do - get sure-fire kills.

2: CPS 2500 - Most versatile of the CPS guns, edging out the 1500/1700 with its 20x option and better weight balance. The interchangeability of parts with 2000s is a plus for maintenance, power, and longevity. The 10x is a reliable kill nozzle with good range. It can skirmish well on 5x and deliver over 100 tap shots easily.

3: CPS 2700 - Almost as versatile as a 2500, with better skirmishing capabilities. Just a lot more awkward to use, especially at speed. Watch that low HPL. 10x is just as potent a killer as with a 2500.

4: MX - Less useful than a 2700, but still has respectable range and power. What edges this past the backpack guns is its onboard reservoir. I want an attack loadout to be light and swift, as well as smaller.

5: CPS 3000 - Edges out the 3200 simply because its backpack shrinks as you use up the water, making your back profile smaller. If it feels flimsy, put the backpack inside another backpack. The range is not great in my experience, making its nozzles less of a threat across the board.

6: CPS 3200 - Just like the 3000, but you can hear water slop around in the hard backpack. The enemy can hear it, too.

7: MXL - Awful power to size ratio. Bad range and heavy frame make it the least useful of the CPS "cannons" on offense.

Static Offense:

1: CPS 2000 - One word: RANGE.

2: CPS 2500 - High range and output helps here.

3: CPS 2700 - Same as 2500.

4: MX - Lower range, but otherwise same as 2700.

5: CPS 3000 - Same as MX. High capacity doesn't help as much here.

6: CPS 3200 - Same as 3000.

7: MXL - Range kills this thing here.

Generic Defense

1: CPS 2500 - Versatility is king on defense. The 2500 remains a mobile and offensive threat on defense, supporting virtually every defensive tactic. It also has long field life.

2: CPS 2700 - One of the best defensive soakers due to its superior field life and skirmishing capabilities, while retaining the ability to kill. Less versatile than a 2500, limiting use of the more aggressive defensive tactics.

3: CPS 2000 - Not usually considered a good defensive gun due to short field life, but its ability to score hits can relieve pressure on the defense. Its long range can keep attackers out of range. Set up in a speed trap and you could hit more than one attacker with the same shot.

4: CPS 3000 - Again edges out the 3200 due to the backpack type. Massive field life on defense.

5: CPS 3200 - Same as before. Massive field live on defense.

6: MX - With power comparable to backpack soakers, but way shorter field life, they are both better on D than this.

7: MXL - Same as before.

Static Defense

1: CPS 2700 - Skirmishes better than the backpack soakers, with the longest field life of the onboard reservoir CPS guns.

2: CPS 3000 - Blasts away forever, now much better since you don't have to worry about moving.

3: CPS 3200 - Same as the 3000, but I hate the backpack as you can tell by now, haha.

4: CPS 2500 - Without motion factored in, output and field life matter more than versatility.

5: CPS 2000 - Same as in generic defense.

6: MX - Worse than a 2500, with less special abilities than a 2000.

7: MXL - You don't have to worry about moving it anymore, but you still can't hit anything.

Neutral state

1: CPS 2500 - Versatility is again king when the state of battle is not set or is uncertain. If you aren't sure whether your next move will be offensive or defensive, better have something that excels at both.

2: CPS 2000 - Good to have if you decide to attack or drop down to ambush. If you want the initiative, you can take it with this.

3: CPS 2700 - If I were a more defensive player, I'd list this higher than the 2000. Similar advantages to a 2500, but more defensive.

4: MX - Same reasoning as with the 2000. I would rather be on offense than on defense when coming out of the neutral state.

5: CPS 3000 - A higher pick than the MX if you're not me.

6: CPS 3200 - Same reasoning as with the 3000.

7: MXL - That bad range and power comes back to haunt it even when there is no offense or defense set.

Reverse in your favor

1: CPS 2000 - Give chase and gun them all down.

2: CPS 2500 - Give chase and gun them all down.

3: MX - Give chase and gun them all down.

4: CPS 2700 - Give chase and gun them all down, if you can.

5: CPS 3000 - Give chase and gun them all down, if you can.
6: CPS 3200 - Give chase and gun them all down, if you can.

7: MXL - Give chase and gun them all down, if you can keep up or hit anything.

Reverse against you

1: CPS 2500 - You may need to take a ton of shots and get the hell out of dodge.

2: CPS 2700 - Same as 2500, but I'd rather not have to run fast with this.

3. CPS 3000 - Put up a wall of water and you won't need to run as fast. You'll still need to pump a lot.

4. CPS 3200 - Same as 3000.

5: MX - A better skirmishing gun than a 2000.

6: CPS 2000 - Not a high enough tap shot yield vs amount of pumps. Just not the right time to have a 2000.

7: MXL - Unload and then take the hit, or drop this and flee. However, you may be able to get away with the MXL if you're fast and strong enough.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu May 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Voted for 2000 and 2500. Would also vote for 3000 and 3200 but I never even seen them and there were only two options allowed anyway.

In the end I'd probably stick with a 2000 with custom nozzle. I've been with the 2500 for the most part so far though. (And my 12k of course.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu May 03, 2012 1:45 pm

I've only used the 2700, and I had a MX when I was young. I actually don't really consider the 2700 a heavy cannon. Sure, it's got a gigantic reservoir, but what I'd consider to be "heavy", would be at LEAST the size of an MXL, but obviously with a lot more power (Like, 60' range at least.); it would be a blaster you'd mount on a tank or something, and would have like 6 or 7 liters of water at it's disposal. Trouble is, nothing like that exists (outside of homemades, of course.), so that's the only reason the 2700 is considered a heavy cannon instead of the medium-heavy assault rifle that I see it as.

Now, which is the best? Just by observation and what I've heard, I'd say that the 2000 and 2500 are the best for offense, and either the 2700 or the 3000 for defense. DX already conducted a vast study of this subject, but I thought I'd throw my opinion in anyway. :goofy:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri May 04, 2012 6:11 am

Your lists are pretty good for a general guide, but ultimately the best weapon is the one which maximizes your potential. Thus, if Scott can maximize his hits made/recieved ratio with a Vindicator than it is the best weapon for him. Likewise, my 3200s had 45 ft range and they barely effected my mobility, thus I would go for those over any other gun, except my 2000 in 1hk games.

Range is my #1 requirement in a weapon, but I am a big fan of shot time as well. Yes, I make tap shots, and yes I pump between shots, but sometimes having that extra 10 oz in the PCs can put you over the top vs opponents. This is why I prefer the 15/1700 to the 2500, and one reason I prefer 3/3200 over other guns. Same range (for the ones I've used) but more in the PC. Plus, I am not one to use 20x unless I'm wanting to truly punnish someone, and then only if I can run them down or if I'm in a soakfest. I typically use the nozzle that shoots the furthest, then if there are several options I go with the one that gives me the longest shot time.

Still have to figure out where the 300 fits in all of this. Maybe we can get iSoaker's opinion. I think he's the only member left on here with one...
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Fri May 04, 2012 10:30 am

M4: I agree. I think the blaster I use most effectively is the CPS 1200 (and MD 6000 for air pressure.), since I did really well with it in the first Thunder Gulch battle. However, that's not a "cannon" (Nether are any of the other blasters on the list; water cannons are usually one-shot blasters that can shoot over 70'.). My favorite heavy blaster is the 2700, mainly because, well, it's the only one I have experience with! :goofy:
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu May 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Ok so the 2k wins but I have learned what a blaster must have to be heavy.

Output 10x or greater
Capacity 90oz or greater
Range 40+ feet

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Fri May 11, 2012 5:36 am

CPS1200fann wrote:Ok so the 2k wins but I have learned what a blaster must have to be heavy.

Output 10x or greater
Capacity 90oz or greater
Range 40+ feet
Well Summarized and under usual conditions totally right :D