Hands-On: Water Warriors Colossus @ iSoaker.com

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Hands-On: Water Warriors Colossus @ iSoaker.com

Post by isoaker » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:29 pm

My most recent water blaster acquisition: the Water Warriors Colossus.

First off, I've yet to do proper output testing so I cannot fully comment on how potent the streams can be made. That said, the pressure chamber volume is BIG. How big? Similar to the capacity of the Water Warriors Gorgon big. I should note that when I measure PC volumes, that is a misnomer as I am always measuring how much pressurized water a chamber can hold which is not equal to the whole pressure chamber volume. For air pressure chambers, the volume does not include the volume occupied by the pressurized air. For elastic bladders, the volume reported does not include the dead space/trapped water left inside the bladder after a full shot is completed.

More to come after I do some real output testing.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

wetmonkey442

Re: Hands-On: Water Warriors Colossus @ iSoaker.com

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Awesome, looking forward to some testing of this blaster!

Edit: Looking at some pictures of the Colossus, I have to say that this blaster would definitely benefit from a good paintjob.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:05 pm

Nice, have been looking forward to reviews of this blaster. Hopefully, this blaster turns out to be as good, if not better, than the Gorgon. I also hope the pump volume can keep up with the rather large PC size.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:28 pm

Water Warriors Colossus images posted. Enjoy!

More information to come.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:06 pm

Despite the difficulty of doing so, I generally prefer getting entire air pressure chamber volumes when possible; it gives an idea of how much air space there is, and plus, PRV's can vary.

The Colossus PC looks to be really well designed with surface area in mind. I'm also curious to how it will perform with the weird N9 nozzle drilled out. Will be waiting for internal pics so I can make some guesses as to how it'll actually perform.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:19 pm

CA99 wrote:Despite the difficulty of doing so, I generally prefer getting entire air pressure chamber volumes when possible; it gives an idea of how much air space there is, and plus, PRV's can vary.
Unless one dismantles a blaster and pours water into and out of a PC, there's no good and accurate way to get a full air pressure chamber volume. If you have suggestions on how to get full PC volumes without needing to open up a blaster, I'm open to hearing them. I suppose, in theory, one could fill a PC to capacity, empty the reservoir as best as possible, then weigh the blaster, but any trapped water in internal tubings will end up counting incorrectly towards the volume reported. However, even doing so, the thought of filling an air pressure PC to max. capacity sounds both tricky and rather annoying to do (would require a lot of pumping, flipping, mist shooting, the pumping again until all the air the PC is pushed out.. then air pumping afterwards to empty it.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:58 am

Water Warriors Colossus review now posted. As with all other 2012 water blaster reviews, range testing still needs to be done, but I figured I push up as much info as I can in the meantime.

Enjoy and soak on!

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:08 am

Kinda underwhelming, but I am interested to see how the burst setting preforms when the x accidentally breaks off because of some pliers that were bending and pulling it. :goofy:

Nice to see WW making consistent selectors that work in a logical way.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:44 am

atvan wrote:Kinda underwhelming, but I am interested to see how the burst setting preforms when the x accidentally breaks off because of some pliers that were bending and pulling it. :goofy:

Nice to see WW making consistent selectors that work in a logical way.
While the WW Colossus doesn't provide a 3-5x stream setting, it does offer performance similar to an XP150 (Water Warriors Colossus vs Super Soaker XP150 comparison). The WW Colossus has slightly higher output and a slightly more pressurized water in its pressure chamber, though admittedly much small pump volumes. If range proves to be better, it still makes for a good, solid light-to-mid-class water blaster, IMO.

Jeffman3

Post by Jeffman3 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:58 am

For measuring the PC volume, couldn't you simply hold the blaster on end (nozzle up) and hold the trigger while pumping until water burbles out of the nozzle? Tilt the blaster down to drain the nozzle and then empty the PC into a cup or the like.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Jeffman3 wrote:For measuring the PC volume, couldn't you simply hold the blaster on end (nozzle up) and hold the trigger while pumping until water burbles out of the nozzle? Tilt the blaster down to drain the nozzle and then empty the PC into a cup or the like.
I can think of ways to completely fill the PC; that's not the problem. However, there is a bunch of tubing between the reservoir to the pump, the pump to the PC, and between the PC and the nozzle valve. These tubes cannot be easily drained of water and will result in over-estimates versus the actual full volume of the PC. Granted, the volume of trapped water is likely relatively small (my guess is less than 20mL of water on average).

That said, my personal preference is reporting the total amount of pressurized water I can measure. While pressure release valve variation may result in slightly different amounts of water to be pushed into different makes of the same water blaster, to me, it is easier to talk about a water that is capable to pushing out X amount of water in a full shot as opposed to saying, "Well, the pressure chamber has Y amount of volume in it, but the amount of water you can shoot depends on the strength of its pressure release valve and this may only be 2/3 or 4/5 the total measured volume."

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 pm

I'm going to wait until you get the range testing done before I decide whether or not I want to buy one. I saw them in Target the other day, along with all the '11 and '12 Super Squirters (Minus the Hydro Cannon. :( ), some of the Ultimate series, and Vipers. I didn't see any Pythons, nor did I see any Gorgons, unfortunately.

My shopping list for new blasters:
Colossus (If iSoaker measures the range at 40' or more.)
Gorgon
Hydro Cannon

I may get a Viper and/or Python if they're exceptionally good, but otherwise I'll just forget it, since I have more than enough sidearms; I need primaries!
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm dissapointed in the pump, but the reservoir and pressure chamber volumes look great, and I am satisfied with the output. In all honesty, I don't think standard primary guns necessarily need a 5x nozzle or higher. I am happy with a 2.5 - 4.5x nozzle. I am much more concerned with range. Soakage is icing on the cake, it's for when you want to break out the punishment.

I love the pump and trigger on the XP 150, but I really like the handle and overall weight balance on the Colossus. I am definitely going to buy one.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Bednesti

Post by Bednesti » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:24 am

What should I buy, the Gorgon or the Colossus?

atvan

Post by atvan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:48 am

DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:37 am

Measuring volume pushed out is affected more by PRV whereas measuring PC volume is affected more by residual water from the tubing. In any case, it won't be all that accurate. Anyway, I can't remember exactly how I measured the MD6k's volume but I know I did it before. (Probably involved a similar method to what was mentioned earlier in the thread.)

@M4: Don't forget that larger streams mean better lamination and thus, better range. Plus, the higher volume ensures a full hit is much more likely at farther ranges.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Bednesti wrote:What should I buy, the Gorgon or the Colossus?
Personally I think the Colossus would be better. It has a big PC, the grip is put in a better spot, and the pump handle will be way easier to use. But it's possible that the Gorgon has greater power. I was able to get 7x by drilling its smallest nozzle. You may be able to get similar results on the Colossus by drilling the burst nozzle.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.