The Hydro Cannon and, erm, other Nerf models.

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Jeffman3

The Hydro Cannon and, erm, other Nerf models.

Post by Jeffman3 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:55 pm

When I came on to the WWn forums, there was a lot of hate being thrown around about the entire 2011 SS lineup... Though I've noticed it's decreased some. Since we got a bunch of pictures uploaded of the internals, have people forgiven its small bladder size for the fact that the rest of it is fairly well designed?

Though I admit the reservoir could certainly use some attention... It's nearly impossible to get all the water out.

Also, I'm cooking up in my brain an idea for another APH, but it probably won't happen until summer. I'm broke.

This is all. Have a good day/evening/etc.

atvan

Re: The Hydro Cannon and, erm, other Nerf models.

Post by atvan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:11 pm

The pump is lacking too.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:58 pm

The Hydro Cannon is probably an excellent blaster, mainly for its sheer modding potential. (Never got a chance to buy one, but I might if it's still available this year.) Every single other thing Nerf SS has ever released goes from being mediocre to being just plain useless garbage for most water wars. We thought the EES line in 2003 was bad, and then they manage to come up with worse. You're paying $10 for a dollar store performance squirt gun that just happens to bear the Super Soaker name (which once had meaning but those days are long gone.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Jeffman3

Post by Jeffman3 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:04 pm

CA99 wrote:The Hydro Cannon is probably an excellent blaster, mainly for its sheer modding potential. (Never got a chance to buy one, but I might if it's still available this year.) Every single other thing Nerf SS has ever released goes from being mediocre to being just plain useless garbage for most water wars. We thought the EES line in 2003 was bad, and then they manage to come up with worse. You're paying $10 for a dollar store performance squirt gun that just happens to bear the Super Soaker name (which once had meaning but those days are long gone.)
I can't begin to emphasize how right you are with that! Having had mine apart, I can tell you it was laid out in a very simple fashion... And the diameters of most of the internals are of normal sizes- meaning CPVC and PVC piping can be substituted in some cases. The ID of the stock "nozzle" comes to mind- CPVC is such a perfect fit there's no way it was unintentional... And there is significant room for size increases of both the pump and the reservoir- not so much longitudinally but it was designed with plenty of extra space horizontally.

Even as a stock blaster, it isn't bad. With the screen removed, 40' ranges are not impossible- and with the barrel system I cooked up, you can even have decent if not wonderful shot times.

My biggest complaint about the stock blaster is actually in the stock ball valve return spring- it's far weaker than I'd really like.

I just thought it was interesting- when I first came to WWn, the HC was more often than not lumped in with the other 2011 models... But now it seems to be more fairly compared to the older CPS (not 2k!) blasters... And its performance really is not that far off. It may not shoot as much water but it does dump what's in the reservoir extremely quickly...

Anyway, I don't mean to rant. It just happens sometimes.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:39 am

I want to get a Hydro Cannon, for modding, when I get home. For some reason, taking the screen off of some nozzles, greatly increases performance. My Flash Flood shot further than any other stock gun I had - except the 2000 - when I took off the wire mesh... but then it broke. Have we figured out where we can get stronger springs to replace the broken ones? Or are people still stuck doing the rubber band fix? Cuz that's just messy.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:59 am

I liked the Hydro Cannon a lot. While complicated, I think the best mod would definitely be a bladder replacement. The rest of the gun is fine, but it's limited by a tiny PC. Another complaint I would have is the number of screws they use to hold it all together. What a nightmare to open!
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

scottthewaterwarrior
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:02 am

I really got to get a Hydro cannon, I'm not really good at fixing guns, let alone modding them, but if all I have to do to get 40+ range is cut the screen and jam on some CPVC, I can do that easily!
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:02 pm

The way I see it, Hasbro Nerf SS gave us the HC and absolutely nothing else. Well, that's still better than nothing, right?

BBT on the other hand, gives us good sidearms and pretty good secondaries/light primaries. Vindicator (older one), Gorgon (air pressure) etc. all work fairly nicely even if they could be better.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:14 am

I am not sure why people like the HC that much :) From end result I can say it is a great Soaker,with a very powerful and big blast, soaking everybody even better than the CPS 2000 Mk1 :)

But keep in mind, you really have to change nearly everything to archieve something great or at least ueable. The only thing interesting is the nozzle and the valve...that's it. May the styling...although I like the good old CPS guns quite much too^^

Pump - too smal(22ml...)l, quite exhausting after lots of pumps(due to its stupid designed grip...)
PC - too weak and much too small! ( 200 ml, haha.... -.- )
Reservoir - 1 litre... o well...
Shield ? never using it...too small for good safety ... :D

While you can get a great gun out of this crap hasbro building, you can also just build a homemade, work will be about the same as you have to change nearly everything...

But at least a gun where someone can improve things easily(as there is so much to improve...) :D Would recommend to have a try in case you do not mind work :goofy: