Best Classic-Style (trigger-pump) Water Pistol?

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Astyanax

Best Classic-Style (trigger-pump) Water Pistol?

Post by Astyanax » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:49 am

Hi:

I've been scouring the internet for awhile now, and can't come up with the best recommendation, so I thought I'd try here.

I'm looking for a classic style trigger-piston water gun; the simple old-style technology:

But perhaps not so cheaply made? Perhaps more accurate? I'd something I can stick in my pocket, with a very tight, accurate stream, that I can hit someone between the eyes at 10-15 feet with. No air power, no batteries, single-handed use only. Like from the good old days. The cheap ones can be as much as 15-30 degrees off the aim, usually leak, and don't last more than an hour or so.

Does anyone make higher-quality old-style squirt pistols like these, or should I just buy up a bunch of cheap ones and hope I get one that lasts a little longer?

Thank you!!!

Asty

wetmonkey442

Re: Best Classic-Style (trigger-pump) Water Pistol?

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:10 pm

To my knowledge, there are no companies that make high quality squirt pistols. I guess quantity over quality wins out in this case...

Ultimately, the limiting factor here is not the quality of construction but the scale of the technology. Piston-based squirt guns that are trigger-actuated just don't have the range of motion necessary to power a large stream of water. When you sacrifice power, flaws in the manufacturing process become more evident and the range and accuracy are handicapped.

It may be possible to buy one and then modify the nozzle to ensure that it is in perfect alignment for the best accuracy and range.

Or just buy a small air-pressure pistol like the Super Soaker Max-D 2000!
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:20 pm

As wetmonkey442 noted, there's no significantly high-quality squirt-type water blasters around. However, Buzz Bee Toys has a number of trigger-based water blasters in their line, namely the Power Shots, Kwik Grip, and Kwik Grip XL lines. The Power Shot water blasters, in particular, actually get pretty good range and accuracy for their size (see Power Shots review on iSoaker.com). 10-15' with a Power Shot should be no problem at all.

I also would recommend the Water Warriors Kwik Grip XLs, though I haven't done range testing on those, they also perform quite well for their size. Both of these types of blasters should still be available in retail stores.

BTW, welcome to the forums!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

atvan

Post by atvan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:31 pm

I also would recomend Quick Grip XLs. They hold more water than most, and come with a holster. Mine lasted for several years, until the dog got a hold of it. It still works, but is cracked in the reservoir.

I used to have the gun in your picture as well. It lasted long time, until it was droped and the bottom cracked. Actually well made for squirt guns.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

Astyanax

Post by Astyanax » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Wow, thanks all for the education and recommendations. I will check them out. Mostly I'm looking for one-handed (pumping will always require two hands) and as close to pocket size as possible.

Are there any motorized guns still available that are really small? I noticed the BuzzBee jet is pretty cool, but can't find one anywhere.

Thanks again,

Asty

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:25 pm

The Water Warriors Jet is probably the smallest motorized water blaster available, but I, too, am not sure where they are still being sold. I do know that they should be sold somewhere, otherwise Buzz Bee Toys Inc would have removed it from their website, but I have no idea how wide the current distribution is (Amazon.com used to carry it, but no longer does).

Assuming you are in the US, Target carries the Power Shots and Kwik Grip XLs.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Me_Soak_U

Post by Me_Soak_U » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:13 pm

I found the last ww jet in stock at the big ny toys r us. They only had that, a couple of ww bandits, hydro cannon, and tornado strike (or the other nerf pistol I forget which). Can you believe it!?!? Bigest toys r us in the world (i think) and it only has that many water guns? Anyway I didn't buy the jet. Maybe its on the toys r us website.
Keep Soaking!
Me_Soak_U
If you like water guns check out my youtube channel here:http://www.youtube.com/user/XxRnMproductionsxX
I'm That Guy With The 1700. Yeah the guy who drenched you? That's Me!

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:32 pm

^ Modded old style HH Dream lol. It only shoots 16ft, but it's fun and has higher output. The stock was a "Super 700" 3 way gimmick gun and a POS. I got rid of the multi-direction knobs, the tiny nozzle, and the connections in between, so now it uses the feeder tube as the nozzle. It has a screw-in reservoir that could accept smaller size water bottles (Poland Spring ones fit) if the back area is sawed out and glued over (water bottles are rarely made straight like the stock reservoir). I think that screw-ins are vastly superior to those tiny rubber stoppers that shred or warp quickly and take forever to fill. You definitely notice the output in this squirt pistol compared to stock ones. However, it has a weakness in that you can't shove it in your pocket unless you have really big pockets.

HH Dreams tend to be better than other squirt pistols because they usually can store a lot more water. They tend to be mini CPS knockoff designs and thus have a reservoir area in addition to the pistol body. My whole HH Dream fills with water, not just the screw-in reservoir. It shoots on and on and on. It can't be improved any more without replacing the feeder and the pump-trigger itself. That part could be make longer, but I certainly don't have a trigger column, trigger shaft, or spring that tiny.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:37 pm

BBT actually make quite a few suirt guns. The Power Squirt is probably the most powerful single-handed gun you can get. It also might be possible to tear off the head of an animal squirter to get decent performance.

Look around dollar stores and stuff. I've found some really nice high-quality squirt pistols every once and a while. If you find a gun you like, come back and get a few more.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

Astyanax

Post by Astyanax » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks guys. It's almost as if I'd like so see something with a large trigger and a full range of motion, like a squirt bottle, built into the gun form-factor. Anyone seen anything like that?

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:06 pm

I'm guessing the Power Squirt is kind of like that.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

Astyanax

Post by Astyanax » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:35 pm

So I went to my local Toys R Us and struck gold. There were five BuzzBee Jets (branded "Sizzlin' Cool" with a Toys R Us logo) on the clearance rack for four bucks each. I bought two for my kids and took them home and tried them out. Man, these little guns are super powerful for their size and price; I immediately went back and grabbed the last three!

Those, plus a four-pack of Kwik Grips XL for eight bucks, and I'm set on the mini gun scene.

Thanks again all for the advice!

Asty

Astyanax

Post by Astyanax » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:41 pm

By the way, once I learned it's called "Sizzlin' Cool", I found the Jet in a few places online, including eBay:

http://www.google.com/search?q=sizzlin% ... a=N&tab=if

I really recommend this for little kids and close quarters.

Enjoy!

Asty

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Astyanax wrote:(pumping will always require two hands)
But that only requires 2 hands while pumping. You can shoot off with one hand and then pump, and if you're dual wielding, it's pretty easy with many blasters to pump one blaster without releasing the other.

The range and output of squirt guns are so low that I would just opt to use a water bottle instead.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat