Hands-On: WW Scorpion - ^

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Hands-On: WW Scorpion - ^

Post by isoaker » Thu May 04, 2006 6:20 pm

Ok, I'm definitely not the first on this board to get to try out the WW Scorpion (mr. dude posted on it before. Heck, I haven't opened the box yet) :goofy: However, as there is no 'Hands-On' thread yet, I've opted to make one.

More postings from me once I start testing things out.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

scorpion

Post by scorpion » Thu May 04, 2006 6:43 pm

Where did you get it? Can you post some box pics? ???
AXE BOMB!!!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 04, 2006 6:45 pm

I picked it up at a local Walmart. I'll post up box pics later this evening. I plan on doing some testing tonight, but am waiting 3 hours to let the battery pack charge a bit. They recommend 6-8 hours on the box. However, I plan on testing general performance, not testing battery charge lifetime yet.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu May 04, 2006 7:20 pm

Wow, now I really can't wait to see what you say about the Scorpion. This is the only site that has made even a couple references to it, and with modern technology, it might show that electric soakers have come a long way. Batteries, motors, and the like (but especially the batteries) have really improved, and while the gun will be heavy, I'm hoping it will make up for that in performance. I mean, this is the first major commercial return to electricity in decades!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 04, 2006 7:55 pm

The Scorpion isn't heavy. It feels similar in weight to a WW Blazer. Size-wise, it is slightly shorter than the Blazer, but a little chunkier. The battery pack is similar to those found in some R/C cars (think of 8 AA batteries slapped together 4 by 2 and put a wire on it to hook up to the rest of the soaker).

1 hour before I slap the battery pack into it and flick the soaker on (yes, there's an on/off switch on the right side of the soaker under a soft, protective cover). You can open the cover to view the switch or simply toggle it on and off by pushing the switch through the soft cover.

scorpion

Post by scorpion » Thu May 04, 2006 8:07 pm

From what it looks like the scorpion look like a pumpless lightning. As for us in America we don't yet have have the Scorpion in the US.
The Scorpion is not available in the US at this time.
BBT e-mailed that to me :(
AXE BOMB!!!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 04, 2006 8:14 pm

SharpObjects

Post by SharpObjects » Thu May 04, 2006 8:33 pm

Have you tested it yet? I'm all excited now!
CPS 1000 (Now K-modded into a CPS 10000)
CPS 4100 *in repair*
MI Flash Flood w/Aqua Pak
SC Big Trouble
Blazer
Xenon
Splat Blast
STE Arctic Shock
Vaporizer
Max-D 3000

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 04, 2006 9:39 pm

Scorpion works very well!

As mr.dude noted, the sound of the motor is louder than what I'm used to from older-gen motorized water guns. That said, as the Scorpion uses Hydro-Power tech, the force for the larger streams comes from the PC and not the motor.

The largest nozzle pushes ~190mL/sec (~6.3 oz/sec)
The mid-nozzle pushes ~110mL/sec (~3.7 oz/sec)
The smallest nozzle pushes ~30mL/sec (~1 oz/sec)

As the motor starts pumping as soon as the switch is flipped on, it's hard to determine actual pump volume. My guess is each stroke pushes 15mL, but am not 100% sure whether strokes actually push 30mL. In terms of rate of pumping, the motor cannot keep up with the large or mid-size nozzles, but the smallest nozzle can be used so long as water is available in the PC and reservoir.

Pumping does not stop when the reservoir is empty, but it does stop when the PC is full. The PC will hold remaining pressure even if the pump is switched off. Oh, and timing, it take 17-20 seconds for the motor to pump up an empty PC, at least on my soaker.

The streams feel very solid and I look forward to doing range testing some sunny day in the near future.

Apart from being a little noisier, my only real complaints are the limited area in the trigger grip space and the fact that the Scorpion lacks a strap.

Now, how durable the motor is to more abuse (i.e. drops) is another story, but one I don't wish to test just yet. :goofy:

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Thu May 04, 2006 10:17 pm

Cool! Nice nozzles. Mr. dude wasn't really off at all. And this electronic pumping could revolutionize soaking. If it pumps well (and quickly) enough, and the motor can be tampered to be quiet, then there's really no reason to use a pumpable soaker. I'm sure the motor can be made more efficient as far as batteries in the future, and it shouldn't be hard to get extra battery packs to carry around in a longer war.

I've got to say, it sounds like Buzz Bee Toys did a good job on this one! The only question now is how it would face a Blazer in an actual war.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Fri May 05, 2006 2:20 am

So there are no Scorpions in the USA, eh? Well, the Armourdillo also just first came out in Canada. I somehow smell an ebay Scorpion oportunity.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Fri May 05, 2006 10:13 am

ZOCCOZ wrote:So there are no Scorpions in the USA, eh? Well, the Armourdillo also just first came out in Canada. I somehow smell an ebay Scorpion oportunity.
Just make it sound good. Don't make it sound like some off-brand. It's "better than a Super Soaker", and "no pumping required". You could get a lot for it if you sell it well.
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri May 05, 2006 5:46 pm

Hannibal wrote:I've got to say, it sounds like Buzz Bee Toys did a good job on this one! The only question now is how it would face a Blazer in an actual war.
The Blazer wins in the shot time department, and it has a strap, but the scorpion is easier to conceal(as long as it's fully pumped). The scorpion has more shots per tank than the Blazer, (over 3, beating the blazer's 2). They have similar range, and the Blazer has more nozzles. So they would make an even match.

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 05, 2006 6:15 pm

Shots Per Tank is not a very good way to compare two guns in this age of ideas such as elimination of capacity stats in non-soakfest battles. It only makes a difference if there is a severe difference in shots per tank, such as 10 vs 2. 3 and 2 is virtually the same, unless you are playing soakfest.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun May 07, 2006 6:49 pm

Scorpion Review posted. Might tweak it a little, particularly once I get a chance to do range testing. Enjoy as is for now!

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Mon May 08, 2006 11:16 am

I like that review!

I'm also glad that I chose to buy the Scorpion soon as well!

Can't wait for when that happens.

:ghostface:

SharpObjects

Post by SharpObjects » Mon May 08, 2006 1:14 pm

Excellent review. Just one question...how is the ratio on the largest nozzle from size of the nozzle to volume of water pushed out? Is it like the Blazer where the largest nozzle seems too large, resulting in poor performance? Not that the Blazer is a poor performer by any means...
CPS 1000 (Now K-modded into a CPS 10000)
CPS 4100 *in repair*
MI Flash Flood w/Aqua Pak
SC Big Trouble
Blazer
Xenon
Splat Blast
STE Arctic Shock
Vaporizer
Max-D 3000

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon May 08, 2006 1:24 pm

The large nozzle feels to have respectable power behind it. However, a range test would verify just how well the stream behaves. Hopefully one of these days in the near future I'll get a chance to do some testing.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Mon May 08, 2006 5:08 pm

According to the stats that I got, range is ok on the large nozzle, and is the highest on the 3x.

scorpion

Post by scorpion » Mon May 08, 2006 6:12 pm

Is it like the Blazer where the largest nozzle seems too large, resulting in poor performance?

Actully the large nozzle is to small. I took the nozzle selector off the blazer and it shat the same shot time but it shot 40 feet so I drilled it.
AXE BOMB!!!