2011: Good or Bad?

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
soakernerd

2011: Good or Bad?

Post by soakernerd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:09 pm

This year, Hasbro released a halfway decent watergun, the Hydro Cannon. They finally began to use CPS. On the other hand, BBT appears to have stopped making HydroPower blasters, leaving us with underpowered, small-PC junk. Overall, do you think this was a good year or a bad year for us?

Personally, I think BBT needs to start using larger PCs, or they will be out competed by Nerf/Supersoaker. That would be bad for our community, as competition means better blasters.

martianshark

Re: 2011: Good or Bad?

Post by martianshark » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:11 pm

I think this year is decent. Hasbro is made something ok-ish, and hopefully they'll continue to get better. Nothing released this year from BBT was particularly awesome, but they still have the Pulse Master, and maybe they'll figure out how to get around the no-bladder problem.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:19 pm

I think BBT should shoot for a 20oz PC.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:00 pm

A 20oz spring PC. That would be awesome; maybe even as good as a CPS 2000. :crazydance:
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Hm, as a supporter of the good old CPS I am neither impressed nor disappointed. As water warriors are not available here in Austria(will need more time) I cannot really say much about BBT. The Hydro Cannon from what I have seen is interesting for me because it uses such a big trigger. I like the HC. All in all I think this year was Ok or a good year because we have lots of New Soakers released :)

By the way, is it sure that we have seen all new Soakers yet ? May there are some further Soakers released later in 2011 ? :goofy:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:04 pm

I'd say neither. Not a whole lot has changed until we find just how moddable the HC really is. Stockwise, the Vindicator and Vanquisher were better, but were more restricted for power potential due to the small diameter internals and valves.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:38 pm

Actually, for me, it turns out that the Shot Blast from last year has some good mods. Right now I'm adding a trigger and a CPS chamber, which isn't too hard to do. Hopefully I'll remember to take pictures and make a writeup. The HC also looks moddable; A big bladder could be added and since the reservoir is in-line with the PC, it could possibly be used for a PC expantion.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:46 pm

The HC seems like it is just so much work to bring it up to any decent standards. It only has a 6oz PC, which is just pitiful for a CPS gun. That is the deal breaker for me, since if I go to the trouble to expand the PC, add a backpack for capacity, and build a laminator, it would be easier to just build my own.

Rover

Post by Rover » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:32 pm

soakernerd wrote:The HC seems like it is just so much work to bring it up to any decent standards. It only has a 6oz PC, which is just pitiful for a CPS gun. That is the deal breaker for me, since if I go to the trouble to expand the PC, add a backpack for capacity, and build a laminator, it would be easier to just build my own.
I agree that it's a ton of work, but the most difficult parts; the trigger mechanism and the pump are both done for you. I'm pretty happy about this year's product. I for one like the water "magazine" idea that Supersoaker is pursuing. I would compare the recent developments in the soaker world to the N-strike line of Nerf blasters. They look really cool, share the tactical rail and magazine concepts, and are both lacking in performance and "modabillity" when compared to the blasters of old.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:14 pm

IMO, 'tis a mixed year. I'm quite happy to see the return of a CPS-based blaster by Hasbro Inc, namely the Super Soaker Hydro Cannon. However, its PC is notably small and there are no other CPS-based blasters in the new line that offer standard stream functionality. The rest of the newer models appear to have varying levels of usefulness, but nothing else particularly remarkable. The clip/magazine system, while trying to be useful, is just too limited in terms of actual capacity.

As for the Water Warriors line, I do like the Ultimate Water Warriors system. Sure, some may complain that not linking pumps or triggers limits things, but I personally prefer to have separate trigger control and the smaller blasters really only needs to be pumped up once fully to make use of the bulk of their reservoirs. The biggest problem, though, is of course the loss of "Hydro Power" by Buzz Bee Toys. Up until 2010, BBT seems to have been making strides getting blaster performance higher with blasters like the Vindicator and Vanquisher. The court injunction that BBT accepted to settle the lawsuit brought against them last year by Hasbro Inc. definitely puts a dampener in terms of performance for a number of Water Warriors blasters that would likely have used "Hydro Power" had the injunction not been in place. Blaster performance is still decent, but not likely as good as it could have been. Of course, BBT likely had to scramble a bit to keep some of these models in their line and I have hope for the future in that they'll figure out a way to create better performing blasters even if the injunction on "Hydro Power" remains in place. Granted, that's pure speculation and only time will tell.

Still want to try out some of the other 2011 water blasters become commenting further, though. I, of course, remain optimistic things will improve somehow.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:22 pm

I set up a concept thread that takes the "ultimate" concept a bit further, with a detachable PC that functions as a PR blaster on its own.
CLICK ME PLEASE

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37 pm

The water mags are just plain awful, primarily because each one is expensive and only holds a small drink's worth of water (200mL). Applied on a decent scale and with decent caps that don't take a longass time to open (i.e. not having to deal with threads which take a long time to open and close, and often jam when closing), they could be useful. I have a water humidifier whose water reservoir has a very large cap that is fast to open and close (place and turn to seal, turn in other direction to open), and seals reliably as its placed on the bottom of the reservoir. It is a real shame that water blasters have not been able to adapt a system like this, at least for non-PR blasters. The Max-Infusion caps were the best, with exception to their annoying reverse-threading.

A reservoir with a properly designed open/close system beats any magazine swapping system any day. Of course, backpacks/small packs filled with water are better than both.

iSoaker, I thought the injunction was only to CPS and did not include Hydro Power, as they're re-releasing the Orca and what not. Hydro Power never seemed to be very good anyways; its design is very restrictive. BBT still has the air pressure option, but high-end air pressure blasters (i.e. on the scale of the SS/XP 300) seem to be expensive to build for stock blasters. CPS saves space, pumps more easily, and seems to be cheaper.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:04 am

CA99 wrote:iSoaker, I thought the injunction was only to CPS and did not include Hydro Power, as they're re-releasing the Orca and what not. Hydro Power never seemed to be very good anyways; its design is very restrictive. BBT still has the air pressure option, but high-end air pressure blasters (i.e. on the scale of the SS/XP 300) seem to be expensive to build for stock blasters. CPS saves space, pumps more easily, and seems to be cheaper.
Not sure the scope of the injunction and haven't gotten my hands on the other members of the 2011 Water Warriors line yet, but from pictures, the Sphynx (a Lightning Remake) and the Gorgon (an Orca-like blaster) both state air pressure on their boxes. Could be a mistake, but on both boxes? Not likely, but does need to be verified. Hope to find out soon one way or another. Granted, BBT used the term "Hydro Power" for their diaphragm, full chamber, and some spring-based blasters and they are still making the Splat Blaster 2 that uses a spring. Just not sure about any rubber-based PCs in the 2011 line.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:23 pm

Ah, I didn't notice that the formerly HP (diaphragm) blasters stated air pressure on their boxes. However, I'm going to be downright honest; I don't think that's a bad thing. Air pressure is a better method IMO than HP; the Piranha I have performs slightly better with a 2L bottle as a PC than with the stock PC. Unfortunately, I didn't have any smaller soda bottles around to use; the 2L is too large and clunky.

If I recall correctly, BBT was using spring powered PC's first before Hasbro joined in on the craze. Of course, BBT never seemed to patent the concept itself and make injunctions against Hasbro for using it. (Not that it would really matter; the spring PC is an inferior design to both air and rubber bladder PC's.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:42 am

I'd say average. Hasbro released 2 decent guns, the Hydro Cannon and the Point Break. However, I would not buy the Hydro Cannon thanks to it's bad shot time and no real stream. The Point Break could make a decent sidearm. The water clips are useless, your better off carrying a spare gun or two and some water bottles in a backpack like I usually do in a water fight. The Tornado Strike and the Scatter Blast are typical piston pumpers. The Thunderstorm is just pathetic. The WW Ultimate System, while useful in some cases, I think is somewhat gimmicky, and I probably won't buy any of those except for mabye the smaller ones for sidearms. I just hope the Gorgon, Titan, Sphynx, Hydra, and Goblin. For me, the year of 2011 rest on those 5 blasters...
Last edited by Nitro123PG on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:51 pm

See, even the new guy knows that water bottles are far better than the so-called "clip" system! Heheh, welcome to iSn.

The HC is still mod worthy though, and if the Point Break is preferable, the HC is still the second best option that Hasbro offers. Piston pumpers are pathetic overall, giving you 2 choices. Horrible range or horrible shot potency. Pick your poison. Either way, you get horrible accuracy unless you're Chuck Norris or something. (And if you're Chuck Norris, the piston pumper will need a pressure relief valve.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:19 pm

I would say the Point Break is more useful than the Hydro Cannon. The HC is the Magstrike or water warfare. Pump it up, pull the trigger to unleash a rain of darts that WILL hit the enemy if your aim is half decent. But after that half second of glory, your a sitting duck unless you have your secondary with you.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:41 pm

...which is why I'm going to put a nozzle on it.

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes, a nozzle could be put on it, but the 6 oz. firing chamber isn't that great, and I wouldn't buy a whole new soaker for it. I'd just buy a FF Arctic Blast.

Nitro123PG

Post by Nitro123PG » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Hmmm.... I just read some topics about the HC, and now, due to mod potential, I'm considering buying it.