Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Hydro Cannon

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
martianshark

Re: Hands-On: Super Soaker Hydro Cannon

Post by martianshark » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

I got one. It's a bit overpriced and bigger than the Flash Flood, but it's totally awesome and just plain cool. I'll probably make a video soon. By the way, this is a CPS gun. I looked up the patents and one of them was called "bladder water gun." But the thing in the back isn't a CPS chamber; it's part of the reservoir. The PC is somewhere near the front of the gun. This could make it difficult to do a PC expansion. I'm probably not going to mod it for a while.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:17 pm

All that here makes me even a bit more curious to see HC's performance and get one for myself........... :goofy:

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:21 pm

@ isoaker To my mind, there is NO problem if you make an indoor firing video in the bathroom, just for moment, TILL you can make one outside when it is not dark, that would help me(and may some other guys here) decide whether getting a HC or not :)

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:31 pm

PC in front, backed by a reservoir, just as I predicted. We've seen this setup in countless CPS's, so an expansion requires removing the reservoir, which I mentioned earlier. (Backpacks could do the job well.)

It probably seems larger than the FF due to its profile. The FF is compacted and well designed to seem smaller but pack more water.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:05 am

IF the stream is powerful and useful, the backpack mod will take one about 1 hour MAXIMUM to do, and the PC expansion, well we have to see internal pics before we can talk about this, but also not too long, I think.

Anyway, this is about the weapon I always wanted to creat myself(do you imagine ? This was what I wanted to build out of the WW Splat blaster :goofy: )

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:31 pm

And Super Soaker Hydro Cannon shot videos now available Enjoy!

Also for your viewing pleasure, two Super Soaker Hydro Cannon shot pics added to the images page.

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:55 pm

So it's basically a WW Splat Blaster that requires more pumping? I'm not sure I like this. How far does it shoot? Have you done any tests yet?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:31 pm

No, it's an oversized Flash Flood that looks really cool.

The sound on videos 1 and 3 seem to be messed up.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Won't be doing any real range testing until there's no snow. Should be able to push at least 30', but how much farther needs measuring.

As martianshark said and as I said before, this thing is basically like a Flash Flood "flood" nozzle-only blaster without Max-D tech.

As for videos 1 and 3, not sure why they are not playing correctly. I've noticed that, too. May need to split the pages into multiple pages for it to load and play more smoothly. I checked the flv files directly and they play just fine. They just play oddly on that page for some unknown reason. It's funny that video #2 plays ok.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:32 pm

It doesn't look nearly as powerful as a FF, but then again, I can't say that unless I can actually see it shoot in person. It does look really cool (Although they could have picked a better color scheme.), but I'd rather have practicality over looks.

You don't have to do a full range test, you can just shoot it off into the snow and take a guess at how far it went. :goofy:

If it can break 40', then I will try to pick one or two up, and do a reservoir and possibly a PC expansion. But if it can't, then I'll probably just forget it (Unless it comes really close).

I don't have any problems with the videos. What do you guys see when you play them?
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 pm

That Flash player is garbage to be honest. (Or maybe the problem is Flash itself, only supporting GPU acceleration for one video at a time.) Only video 2 will play smoothly, and on the rest, the video lags behind the sound for at least 6+ seconds.

Maybe it would work better if each video was separated on its own page? Or perhaps the problem is in the Flash player itself as I've never seen this kind of issue occur with a pageful of Youtube embeds.

Anyway, I'll go by video 2 as the standard full-PC shot. Very short shot time there; much too short given that the blast isn't all that potent. I would say that the FF definitely seems to be more powerful. (Though I have the screen removed on both of mine so I can't say for sure now.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

pocketesq

Post by pocketesq » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:23 pm

I finally got mine on Wednesday, and was quite happy with it. :)

If I hadn't learned from you guys that it was like a Flashflood, I think I would have been a tad disappointed when I first used the Hydro Cannon, but my expectations had been adjusted accordingly and I found it pretty fun on the whole. I wouldn't personally use it as my blaster of choice in a water fight though.

A few quick vids:

http://urbantaggers.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ideos.html

Doesn't really show ranges, but more about the firing.
"Shoot First it's only Water!"

Urbantaggers a toy blaster resource

urbantaggers.com | facebook.com/urbantaggers.australia | twitter.com/urbantaggers

scottthewaterwarrior

Post by scottthewaterwarrior » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Wow, it takes at least 5 seconds of pumping to do any thing. It does have a pretty good output though but it wouldn't be very useful against 3 enemies coming from 3 different directions which is usually the case in the battles I have had. It is also much smaller than I thought, give me all the measurements you want I can't grasp the size of something till I see it in some ones hand. I was picturing it so big you had to have it over your shoulder bazooka stile, they really should have made it that big, I would buy it than. Might be a little hard for real little kids to use but it would still be easier than the hydro blitz was. I'm not vary good at moding so I do not think I will find much use for this blaster, and no shoulder strap :( -- not that I'm surprised at that though.
"If you are wet at the end of a water war, you are doing it wrong"
Van: "What happened?" SEAL: "Scott Happened"
Alex: "But the stream is cold." Me: "It's fine, my feet really hurt, now they're numb!"

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:18 pm

Interesting, thanks for posting the videos!

Shot time is disappointing, about on the same level as the Pulse Master but slightly higher output with similar PC capacity.

Looks like modding is the way to go for this.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:17 pm

Oh, hey! iSoaker posted the review! http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/Analysis ... annon.html

I seem to keep beating iSoaker to announcing it. :goofy:

isoaker

Re: Hands-On: Nerf Super Soaker Hydro Cannon

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:26 pm

Finally got to do some limited range testing today on the Hydro Cannon. Measure level shots ~8.5m (~27') while could push angled shots ~10.5m (~35'). Were the Hydro Cannon able to push out a solid stream, range would most likely been better.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:43 pm

Were the Hydro Cannon able to push out a solid stream, range would most likely been better.
Well, that's what the homemade nozzle laminator is for! I think I will buy one of these just for the modding experience.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

GJIV

Post by GJIV » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:09 pm

You would have to make a PC replacement, like I did, to have a good PC volume. The actual volume of 200 ml is just nothing for a big valve...

My Hydrocannon(remember my thread ? ) got a 800 ml PC or even more(not sure about this anymore) and firing time is ~ 1 second, although I increased the PC volume by 400 percent! And it still could have a bigger PC :)

original shot time is 0,4 seconds or even less, you will not be able to use this, since the pushed out water is 200 ml only...This may only fill the whole nozzle selector with water without any water coming out at the front...

Me_Soak_U

Post by Me_Soak_U » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:27 pm

CA99 wrote:However, it looks like a nozzle modification would be a GREAT modification to the blaster.
My friend did that simply by taking out the wire mesh in the nozzle, finding a little pen tube then covering it with duct tape so it fits in great.Then you put some sort of little cap on top and cover the whole thing in hot glue. It's easy and it works and looks great.
Keep Soaking!
Me_Soak_U
If you like water guns check out my youtube channel here:http://www.youtube.com/user/XxRnMproductionsxX
I'm That Guy With The 1700. Yeah the guy who drenched you? That's Me!

atvan

Post by atvan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:16 pm

Do you know the size of the nozzle?
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple