Super Soaker SS50: 20th Anniversary Edition

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.

Would you recommend this product to another?

Yay (i.e. recommend)
50%
Nay (i.e. don't recommend)
No votes
Undecided (i.e. not sure yet)
50%

Total votes: 2

ray

Super Soaker SS50: 20th Anniversary Edition

Post by ray » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:35 am

isoaker

Re: SS50 2009 remake

Post by isoaker » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:44 am

Yup, seen that and noted it in this other thread :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:31 pm

More pics of the 20th Anniversary Super Soaker 50 available at Gizmodo. Looks interesting and definitely more sturdy-looking than the original. However, after 20 years, I would have expected more in the line for this year! Oh well...

Shadowstrike Prime

Post by Shadowstrike Prime » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:58 pm

I'm a little saddened they molded the new Super Soaker logo into the plastic, but seeing the old logo on the equally retro looking box erased any unhappy thoughts. I'll be picking two of these up; one to use and one to go on the wall.

Also, comparing the new one to the original, I think this is an all new mold and not just a modified version of the original 50. I wonder if they snuck a max-D trigger in there?
"...Yes."

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:32 am

After seeing the better pics(larger release photo on Spike: SS50 20th also), I think they went with a XP-type valve. We'll know soon enough, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)
US Naval Expeditionary Command(NECC)

Don't think outside the box...There Is No Box

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:10 pm

Well, I finally saw the SS50 at TRU in Warwick, RI. It indeed does use a XP trigger. Seems slightly bigger than the original, but I could be wrong. They already had it on sale for $15.99, but wasn't that interested in an air-res blaster. Anyway, we all want the same treatment used on the old CPSs, so let's see it. Also, them had three blue/black recolors: The Flash Flood, Aqua Shock, Artic Shock. So, it looks like the 20th is the only "new" soaker. Sad, Hasbro better be coming out with something good next year.
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

SharpObjects56

Post by SharpObjects56 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:58 pm

Picked one up tonight just for the hell of it. It has new styling as opposed to the original SS50. I like it, couldn't ever get a 1999 remake so I had to make due.

Enjoy the pictures

BTW - I used to be on this site all the time, circa 2005-06, original name was Sharp Objects (surprise?). Haven't been on the scene for quite a while, as time is now spent with college, a girl, and bass guitar. But I still pull out the CPS1000 every summer. Not sure if isoaker would even remember, but I'll be checking out all the new (to me) updates and whatnot. So, hello everyone!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:05 pm

@SharpObjects56: Hey! Of course I remember you (well, your alias, of course :goofy: )! Good to see you 'round again! Thanks, too, for posting the pics of the 20th anniversary SS50 and sharing more info on this blaster. May I repost your pics on iSoaker.com, itself?

Soak on!

SharpObjects56

Post by SharpObjects56 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:12 pm

My pleasure isoaker, and please, be my guest! :ss50:

I haven't had a chance to fill it up and try it out, but I'll post a first impression of it asap.

I do like it. I wish they'd keep old bottle design where you had to unscrew the bottle to fill it up, but this thing is way sturdy, and it feels very nice to hold.

And the neon is great too. I love the colors. While I never had an original SS50, I feel at home with it. I wish they'd do the SS40 or SS100 and update them, just for the hell of it. While I love my CPS, sometimes you just can't beat the classics.

Oh, and for the record, I agree with the statement that it's an XP trigger, certainly doesn't feel like a MaxD trigger. Thank goodness, I don't want this one breaking on me.

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:23 pm

SharpObjects56 wrote:Picked one up tonight just for the hell of it. It has new styling as opposed to the original SS50. I like it, couldn't ever get a 1999 remake so I had to make due.

Enjoy the pictures

BTW - I used to be on this site all the time, circa 2005-06, original name was Sharp Objects (surprise?). Haven't been on the scene for quite a while, as time is now spent with college, a girl, and bass guitar. But I still pull out the CPS1000 every summer. Not sure if isoaker would even remember, but I'll be checking out all the new (to me) updates and whatnot. So, hello everyone!
Looks better in this picture than other ones I've seen. Your life sounds like mine, college, girls, guitar, and CPS in the summer! Haha. Also, I'm glad to hear there is no Max D trigger.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SharpObjects56

Post by SharpObjects56 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:55 pm

Haha thanks. Yeah, its just like that. But I'm not complaining one bit!

I got to shoot it. Shoots just like any other pressurized reservoir soaker. Good range for what it is, stream size and lamentation was good. I'll probably let a friend use it for an upcoming soak fest. I like it. Can't compare it to an original, but I like it. I might open it up later if anyone is interested.

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:51 am

Here's something interesting I found yesterday. My Fred Myers seems to be the only place to grab the SS50 and dark blue XP70, which they both had. Comparing the two, they now both have the same nozzle opening. The dark blue does look good, so it'll make a good mate for the blue/green/red version I got from Fred's in '07. Also, the SS50 now uses an inlet hole at the bottom of the back side of the reservoir, so it might be a good match for my NI SS100. We'll see, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:13 pm

dragonclass wrote:Here's something interesting I found yesterday. My Fred Myers seems to be the only place to grab the SS50 and dark blue XP70, which they both had. Comparing the two, they now both have the same nozzle opening. The dark blue does look good, so it'll make a good mate for the blue/green/red version I got from Fred's in '07. Also, the SS50 now uses an inlet hole at the bottom of the back side of the reservoir, so it might be a good match for my NI SS100. We'll see, Brad
By dark blue do you mean:

or

or something new? I used to make fun of the XP 70 a lot and say I'd never get one, but I've come to respect it over the years. It's one of the most simple, durable, easy to use blasters ever made. It's great to have for soakups, as a backup, or just to give out to friends in a battle.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:43 am

Yea, that's the one, they should have used this coloring along time ago. They need to do the same to others(started with the XP310 by the way), the XP110 would make a good example(or 310 again, or both). Recoloring some CPSs would show some balls! I'm also surprised they didn't come out with two SS50 versions: original and the new color.
Last edited by dragonclass on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:57 am

dragonclass wrote:Yea, that's the one, they should have used this coloring along time ago. They need to do the same to others(started with the XP310 by the way), XP110 would make a good example. Recoloring some CPSs would show some balls! I'm also surprised they didn't come out with two SS50 versions: original and the new color.
I know a lot of people who would buy recolored CPS guns. You're right, they have rereleased quite a few, I wonder why they haven't done any CPS.

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:25 pm

marauder_4 wrote: I know a lot of people who would buy recolored CPS guns. You're right, they have re-released quite a few, I wonder why they haven't done any CPS.
I don't see why not either. They made the HydroBlitz, and its much more complex. So, re-releasing some of the older CPSs wouldn't be that hard. My vote would be the 1000 or 1200 first, with a "good" 4100 later.
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Mon May 18, 2009 1:15 pm

BTW, I went ahead and bought a 20th SS50 from Fred's. Its definitely better, uses a XP valve. I'll check to see if it is now a 2x sometime. Later, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)

marauder

Post by marauder » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 am

I purchased my own recently at Target.

http://punkrockcowboy.brinkster.net/ss50.jpg

http://punkrockcowboy.brinkster.net/ss50box.jpg

The output has definitely increased, it reminds me a lot of the SC 400. I will be testing it soon. Expect a review shortly.

teamfear

Post by teamfear » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:52 am

I have one also. It has good shot time and is great for rapid assault. I find it useful to circle HWO's and attack their flank. My only concern is sometimes it will mist and then you can loose a good opportunity.

marauder

Post by marauder » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:49 am

teamfear wrote:I have one also. It has good shot time and is great for rapid assault. I find it useful to circle HWO's and attack their flank. My only concern is sometimes it will mist and then you can loose a good opportunity.
I battle tested it on Friday and that happened to me. The more you dodge/move around when you are firing the more it will mist. It has a good shot time and is structurally sound as you've said but I believe that guns this size need a seperate firing chamber. I would choose the SC 500 or even XP 70 over the new 50.