BBT soaker discusson thread (2006)

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:45 pm

Since the other thread is so huge and my be closed I thought I should open this one. Post info and suggesions for BBT guns here.

:soakon2:
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:53 pm

I am currently considering getting the Blazer and Hydra Pak.

1. I wanted some comments/info by users who already owned them.

2. Also, is it worth it to wait getting them for the 2007 improved range year, or get them now.

3. How does the Pirahna compare to the XP310? My siblings each have one and I was just wondering.

4. iSoaker, what are the range stats for the Pirahna? You don't seem to have them. You have the other stats, but not the range ones. ???
EV Nova - Space action/RPG, for Windows and Mac!
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"
*Takes them home, opens one, fills it, and pumps it up.*

"snap!"

"Oops, I guess it had a Max-D trigger."

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:24 pm

The Piranha is more or less a re-coloured Lightning. For ranges, they'd be similar to the Lightning's ranges. See Lightning.

The Blazer, IMO, is a pretty good soaker with good capacity and power. The newer Blazer with improved nozzle selection should be a good choice, but I've currently opted not to open mine to test the other nozzles since I'd rather keep that one boxed as it was hard to acquire for me).

The Hydra Pak has a good concept, but feels underpowered. Long shot times, but poor range.

The XP310 is still one of my fav. air pressure soakers. The Piranha is alright, but I still think you can get more power from a pre-pressurized XP310.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:30 pm

Thanks iSoaker! I think I'll buy a Blazer this year, but wait for 2007 to buy the Hydra Pak, hoping for improved range. :blazer: :soakon2:

How does that sound?

Edited By Hannibal on 1138660368

"Look! a CPS 2000 10th anniversary edition! I'll buy two, one to keep, and one to use!"

"snap!"

m15399

Post by m15399 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:00 pm

2007 improved range year

That has not been confirmed and it's premature to assume that this year's soakers have crappy ranges, but by some strange miracle of forsight, the 2007 blasters will have good ranges. My bet is the ranges are going to stay exactly the same for Hasbro and Buzz Bee. As iSoaker said, the hydra pak is underpowered. Obviously in the design of the blaster, output was a more important factor than range. It's all about soaking to consumers. No one cares how far away you stand when you soak someone as long as they're drenched before they have a chance to fire back (FF). I'm looking forward to the 2006 Piranha/Blazer. :blazer:

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:02 pm

But BB said so himself in the topic. He said he had like some improved nozzles, offering better range. That should make up for the lack of power.

"snap!"

m15399

Post by m15399 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:06 pm

I would still say we shouldn't expect anything over 35'.

Edited By m15399 on 1138662425

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:16 pm

Do you think the Blazer will get improved range? Right now it gets like 40 feet, imagine what improvments could do!

"snap!"

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:11 pm

Hannibal wrote:Thanks iSoaker! I think I'll buy a Blazer this year

WAIT!, hold everything. Don't buy the blazer just yet, big bee said the scorpion was going to be a beast, so wait for that.

Edited By LIGHT ANNIHILATOR on 1138717075
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:05 pm

The scorpion relies on batteries, which is probably going to cause me NOT to buy it.

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:15 am

^ So just take them out, the blazer has batteries and people still bought em, same thing with the Storm guns. :cool:

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:32 am

That's right. It uses batteries, but does not need them to work. They are just for the power gauge on the Water Warriors blasters and the lights on the Storms.
ImageImage

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:59 am

I believe that the Scorpion REQUIRES batteries to work, and the included ones are rechargable. I think it is automated pumping or something, which would be cool. I have no idea on the size, water capacity, or anything else though.

BTW, has anyone ever been able to call Buzz Bee Toys? Whenever I call I only get an answering machine. (I'm using the number on the back of the Piirahna box). The answering machine says "thank you for calling Buzz Bee Toys," but there is never anyone there.

"snap!"

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:15 am

Please ignore my stupidity, I've been out of the loop for a while, but where can I find info on this "scorpion"? I did a search but didn't find anything.

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:18 am

cooldood31 wrote:Please ignore my stupidity, I've been out of the loop for a while, but where can I find info on this "scorpion"? I did a search but didn't find anything.
It's a new 2006 gun, no one has much info on it yet at all, apart from Big Bee's post. I'm looking forward to it though!

"snap!"

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:14 pm

EDIT: nevermind, I just found it

EDIT#2: WOOHOO! I looked over the thread of suggestions (which is where he said the the Splat Blaster was developed) and realized that I was one of the people pushing for a shotgun, and giving ideas for it (Some of the others were Adrian, isoaker). I CONTRIBUTED TO THE MASS PRODUCTION OF A WATER GUN!!! I'm going to buy 3, or maybe 5, yes, 5 Splat Blasters. I'm going to hang one on my wall, keep one in it's packaging in storage, and use the other three. I'm so happy. THANK YOU BIG BEE!!!
:D x1000(while dancing)

Edited By cooldood31 on 1138730597

Hannibal

Post by Hannibal » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:07 pm

cooldood31 wrote:EDIT: nevermind, I just found it

EDIT#2: WOOHOO! I looked over the thread of suggestions (which is where he said the the Splat Blaster was developed) and realized that I was one of the people pushing for a shotgun, and giving ideas for it (Some of the others were Adrian, isoaker). I CONTRIBUTED TO THE MASS PRODUCTION OF A WATER GUN!!! I'm going to buy 3, or maybe 5, yes, 5 Splat Blasters. I'm going to hang one on my wall, keep one in it's packaging in storage, and use the other three. I'm so happy. THANK YOU BIG BEE!!!
:D x1000(while dancing)

Heh. I'm glad for you, cooldood. I myself will have to hear some input on it first, but then I might get one!

EDIT: 75th post!

Edited By Hannibal on 1138730916

"snap!"

scorpion

Post by scorpion » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:01 pm

WOOHOO! I looked over the thread of suggestions (which is where he said the the Splat Blaster was developed) and realized that I was one of the people pushing for a shotgun, and giving ideas for it (Some of the others were Adrian, isoaker). I CONTRIBUTED TO THE MASS PRODUCTION OF A WATER GUN!!! I'm going to buy 3, or maybe 5, yes, 5 Splat Blasters. I'm going to hang one on my wall, keep one in it's packaging in storage, and use the other three. I'm so happy. THANK YOU BIG BEE!!!
where exactly did you find this? could you post a link? ( sorry is stupid qustoin, still trying to find artificial filling for my head because I have no brain).
AXE BOMB!!!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:10 pm

m15399 wrote:
2007 improved range year

That has not been confirmed and it's premature to assume that this year's soakers have crappy ranges, but by some strange miracle of forsight, the 2007 blasters will have good ranges. My bet is the ranges are going to stay exactly the same for Hasbro and Buzz Bee. As iSoaker said, the hydra pak is underpowered. Obviously in the design of the blaster, output was a more important factor than range. It's all about soaking to consumers. No one cares how far away you stand when you soak someone as long as they're drenched before they have a chance to fire back (FF). I'm looking forward to the 2006 Piranha/Blazer. :blazer:

Big Bee from what I know has not tested this nozzle yet, though it is very likely that there will be a distance boost with it. I periodically send Big Bee emails about water gun design (even I have questions!), and one email was about a nozzle design I found in the US patent database. The patent expired and the nozzle is free for use.

The problem is that the nozzle was designed for use in water jet cutting, but the physics should not change much for lower pressure. The inventor himself told me the nozzle should work perfectly fine on lower pressures. The nozzle creates the most laminar flow of any nozzle I have seen (with a new, better alternative to "straws" being "strings") and also has a "post-nozzle assembly" that apparently isn't as important as I initially though (at least according to the inventor). Big Bee also told me that he would email me once he did a test of the nozzle (which I was going to do myself), but I still haven't received an email months later. I am assuming that he is busy (which is more than likely true).

Even neater is that the inventor emailed me and is a member of the Super Soaker Central forums! You can read the email he sent to me in the thread I posted on Water nozzle designs. You can email the inventor if you would want a little more information on the nozzle. He's a real nice guy and he is very knowledgable on water nozzles (not so much water guns though because that is not his specialty).

To clear up a misconception, 40 feet is not very far distance and more can be very easily obtained with different methods (i.e. higher pressure, better flow, correctly sized nozzles, etc.). It is likely the Buzz Bee Toys does have an ideal nozzle orifice calculation as Duxburian and I have done for a while (though if they do not, please use it!). This new improved nozzle may improve distance up to 5 feet from what I know. I do believe this nozzle would be much more effective on the more powerful water guns, especially homemade water guns.

I really like Buzz Bee Toys because they take your suggestions very seriously. I already had my belt clip idea made into real manufactured water guns, and now my nozzle suggestion may give everyone a stream distance boost! Of course, credit must be given where it is deserved. Chris Bloch is the man behind the nozzle and you all should thank him, not me, for the improved distance if the nozzle works well with lower pressures.

As for waiting for 2007 for the better distance, you can apparently easily make the new nozzle from a small plastic nozzle and fishing line according to Chris Bloch (see the patent for more information). This will be a modification, but it will give you the new nozzle a year before it's release and also will work on other water guns as well. I'll be making one for my homemade water guns once the weather gets better around here. This year's distance won't be bad, just likely not as good as next year's.

Edited By Doom on 1138745650

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:43 pm

Doom wrote: This will be a modification, but it will give you the new nozzle a year before it's release and also will work on other water guns as well. I'll be making one for my homemade water guns once the weather gets better around here. This year's distance won't be bad, just likely not as good as next year's.
You say you want to use it on your homemades, so I assume to get it you will need to modify a endcap.

:soakon: