CPS 1000 knock-off?

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
pritch

CPS 1000 knock-off?

Post by pritch » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:04 pm

I've been browsing the 'bay lately and came across this;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0319182710

Doesn't that look familiar! It's even called the "Super 1000" Anyway I bought one, had to see if it does actually have anything like CPS performance. Will let you know!

Anyone seen anything similar out there?

Check this one out from the same seller: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0312463789 - is that just a stand or an MXL-style bipod!!?!?

isoaker

Re: CPS 1000 knock-off?

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:12 pm

I believe I've seen that one (or something very similar) as well as a CPS1500 knock-off in a random store once. There were pump-based blasters and the entire reservoir unscrewed for filling. Not sure how well they actually work, but I don't have high hopes for these knock-offs.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

pritch

Post by pritch » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Ugh, pump-based. It will instantly become a present for a young cousin if that's the case. I did some more digging;

http://www.dillydally.com.au/Uploads/Images/20.jpg

Look at that!! It is more 310 than not - makes you wonder if Hasbro are licensing out the old designs for a few $!

PS isoaker, desperate for any more wisdom you can shed on the mysterious ways of the cps1500 pump :)

pritch

Post by pritch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:19 am

Well, the "1000" arrived already.

The good news is it's not pump-based. It's a pressurised resevoir and actual working trigger!

The bad news is it's pretty woeful :) The CPS design, which it copies, does of course allow the gun to become more balanced as you fill the PC. This don't - it's back heavy when full. It's small - a couple inches shorter than my XP310. The resevoir prolly holds a litre or so and lasts for ages... for a good reason. Performance is... dire? The pump has a very short track so it takes, god knows, 60 pumps? to get it to produce anything like a stream. I haven't found the max yet but so far I'd guess a 1.5x stream about ten feet is near the limit. I think I pee with more force tbh :) Also the rubber that the screw-in resevoir makes a seal with is very hard, so you have to really tighten the resevoir to get a seal and prevent leaks running down through the trigger. It's just a bit of clear tubing that runs into the resevoir - no way could you use the entire resevoir - welcome to 1989! Actually, that's insulting my SS50.

The trigger though looks strong and the spring is better than on most of my soakers! Typical.

Anyhoo, I will prolly take it apart and mess with it (I love doing that) then put it back and take it in to work and keep it there as a "just in case" sidearm :) But connoiseurs, stay away!

Also, I found the manufacturer is one Hua Hai. They do an entire range, a massive range actually, and some familiar sights amongst them.

Check out http://www.huahaitoys.com/cpzs7-y.htm - the 2000 model is a screw-cap resevoir and different trigger closer to the original super soakers, who knows eh?

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:08 am

If there's no cap in the reservoir, you know it's a piece of junk. The 310 replica looks to be a weaker version of the real one. And neither the bipod on the MXL nor the link you pointed to are able to swivel. (making both pretty useless since that's the whole point of having a bipod) However, the MXL's bipod is able to fold up.

Honestly, for the price you got on that pressurized reservoir junk, you could've gotten a REAL Super Soaker or Water Warriors in a store. However, there's one exception: the super shooter 2000 you just linked to, which someone at SSC (super soaker central) got and found it actually performs like a CPS 1000. However, for the price you find it at, you may be able to find a real CPS 1000 on eBay. If not, it's a small chance to take, but you could try it out. (since not only did someone get it and have it perform well, it's modeling in the picture is very similar to the actual 1000. You may even be able to k-mod it.) But this is most likely the only replica that imitates both the outside and inside of a super soaker. (in other words, the only imitation that is any good)

iSoaker, I would recommend you take that link and put it on the page of imitation soakers. They even have imitations of WW's, from Hydro-Power's and pre-chargers, to kwik grips.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

pritch

Post by pritch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:12 am

On second thoughts I think I may have been a bit hasty to mock the poor thing. I took it outside and properly field-tested it, filled it and pumped it a LOT and it's not that bad at all. I think it's actually more like a 1.2x but I got it up to about 25 feet. Only downside is it doesn't quite maintain that range throughout its tank as it becomes harder to pressurise when air replaces water. Still, it would probably do for a back-up and at least I'm not worried about breaking it, unlike my super soakers these days...

@CA: can't get a real SS for that cheap here, unless you get lucky. I'm trying to get my hands on an xp270 now and I can see it going for at least £20. But hey, in the great scheme of things as you get older, water guns are cheap :)

As for the "proper" 1000 knock-off, can't see it for sale anywhere, probably because it's a little pricier than the chicken feed they pay the importers for these screw-in models.