Flash Flood, CPS Like

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
teamfear

Flash Flood, CPS Like

Post by teamfear » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:38 pm

The Flash Flood may not meet original CPS power but it is so close that its scary. My teammate recently bought one and compared to my artic blast which is almost the same design it crushes it. My AB's Flood went 5 meters and was good for taking advantage of my speed and ambushing someone with its short balst, mainly aiming for the face, But this gun, it was insane! It's Flash Flood shot 12 meters and knocked you back if hit. My friend defeated my CPS 1000 with the Flash Flood. The Flash Flood almost shot as far as the CPS 1000 but it's power was unrealistic. It's Improved range allowed you to strike hard (I'd say stronger than a CPS, only more spread out) but from far away. The main nozzel of The Flash Flood had a first shot nearly equivilent to the CPS 1000 and had the same shot time as the AB. The AB's weak main stream is good for multiple pulse attacks but the Flash Flood's stream was way stronger. I passed on the chance to get one because of the Max-D value's bad record and didn't want to have it break like my AB, but if the Max-D wasn't faulty this gun would have virtualy no downsides.

SSCBen

Re: Flash Flood, CPS Like

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:50 pm

Interesting. I can't say I've had the same experience with Flash Floods, not that I own one, just that I never was too impressed by them. The "knocking back" part I think is unrealistic because the Flash Flood doesn't shoot enough water to even get close to that. You'd need at least 50X if not 100X to do that (and I know because I have homemade water guns that can do over 500X).

Some of that can be attributed more to skill, using the right tactics, luck, and circumstance too. Well, at least the Flash Flood beating the CPS 1000 part. I can beat any water gun with a lowly SS 50 if I play well enough and they don't play too well. ;)

It's also possible that your friend has a really good Flash Flood. There's enough variation in the factories to make that plausible.

Hasbro does need to eliminate the Max-D valves. I agree 100% of the way. The Max-D valves break and I think influence annoying or limiting design choices like small pipes and multiple valves instead of nozzle selectors. At first (2002-ish) I thought the main downside was the snapping noise but that's a moot point compared against the valve's longevity.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:27 pm

The FF does have some recoil to it, but definately no more than that of a hose since the recoil is dependent on output. The CPS 1000 user was probably slower, less able to dodge, etc. than the FF user. Heck, a few weeks ago I fought up against Evangel w/ a 12k, who also uses the FF. In the open, even his side-to-side dodging won't help that much, but he was nonetheless fast and able to use cover to surprise-flood attack anyone.

Agree about the Max-D's. They break too easily and seem to have too limited of diameter on finger-trigger based valves.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:57 pm

I've fought against Flash Floods pretty extensively and can say that they're only effective when used for just the right purpose at just the right time. Usually that means ambush and the flood nozzle at close ranges. In a proglonged gunbattle...the faults start coming out, mainly the small capacity and inability to skirmish well. The main nozzle [undrilled] is weak against many other skirmishing nozzles of the CPS class, especially considering that some players tap with a 10x [the flood nozzle is only ~11x and consumes much more pressure]. In most places a player can hang just outside the flood nozzle range and make it ineffective. Veteran against veteran, sometimes you can get a close call, but for the most part the flood nozzle doesn't work. The Flash Flood is more of a specialty weapon, as it can get multiple enemies if you jump out of a bush with it. It is a gun that I'd personally cache away in a good ambush spot before a battle. Caching certain soakers may be worth the one-time use if you have an excellent chance of coming away with kills/good soakings.

The recoil is not really that spectacular. Then again, I was basically tossed backwards by the kick of my water cannon...so I might just be a bit biased on that :p
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

teamfear

Flash Flood

Post by teamfear » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:39 am

The Flash Flood my friend had worked well but he got two from the same store at the same time and the other one broke on the first day he got it.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:53 am

For the broken Flash Flood, theres several things you can do.

- Return to store
- Complain to Hasbro (they won't ask you to ship it back, they don't even ask for proof that it broke 0_o )
- Repair

If the first option is somehow not available, I go with the 2nd and the 3rd. I myself am still developing effective methods of repairing the FF's most common problem: spring failure, and still making slow progress on mine. Given you can get an effective repair done, you'll have 2 working FF's. =)

But unfortunately, what was said above about the FF is true. Its capacity won't last long and it requires too much specialty. Its basically like a shotgun or grenade launcher in fps's, good for surprise kills and muiltiple targets at close range, but not for standard combat. There's a reason the M203 was made as an attachment for the M16/M4. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be able to get the same flexibility in water warfare since theres really nothing worth mounting on yet. At least maybe until someone develops a practical, light, compact WBL to mount, though mounting water blasters onto WBL's is more likely.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

zuloon

Post by zuloon » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:09 pm

C-A_99 wrote:For the broken Flash Flood, theres several things you can do.

- Return to store
- Complain to Hasbro (they won't ask you to ship it back, they don't even ask for proof that it broke 0_o )
- Repair

If the first option is somehow not available, I go with the 2nd and the 3rd. I myself am still developing effective methods of repairing the FF's most common problem: spring failure, and still making slow progress on mine. Given you can get an effective repair done, you'll have 2 working FF's. =)

But unfortunately, what was said above about the FF is true. Its capacity won't last long and it requires too much specialty. Its basically like a shotgun or grenade launcher in fps's, good for surprise kills and muiltiple targets at close range, but not for standard combat. There's a reason the M203 was made as an attachment for the M16/M4. Unfortunately, we don't seem to be able to get the same flexibility in water warfare since theres really nothing worth mounting on yet. At least maybe until someone develops a practical, light, compact WBL to mount, though mounting water blasters onto WBL's is more likely.
Can you get a free FF then? Or do you need a proof of purchase?

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:36 pm

The only proof you should need is a statement describing the problems with the gun. You'll also need an account there.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Croc

Post by Croc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:02 pm

By the way, there is a method of fixing the spring problem, there is an article over on SSC about the "silent Max-D trigger". I believe it was Hunter who did it.

Anyways, I did some digging, and here it is : http://forums.sscentral.org/t2730/

Maybe try this silent mod, it doesn't click, but it works perfectly fine. I did it to mine, and now it feels smoother than ever :flashflood:
My Flash Flood is over at mr. dude's place, so I can't take photos or videos (I heavily modded mine, so it isn't exactly stock).

Sun

Post by Sun » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:34 am

My FF is unnaturally powerful too, although I think that it's because i always pump it 40 times before using the big nozzle.