Need some help from the experts...

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Vimes

Need some help from the experts...

Post by Vimes » Thu May 29, 2008 5:11 pm

I haven't been in a water gun fight since I was around 13, which was almost a decade ago. My friends and I spend most of our free time fighting with wooden swords. But the other day I saw that there were some water guns on sale at a store I was passing, so I stopped in and bought a few, thinking that it would make for a fun summertime activity. I got a few little squirt guns, a Water Warriors Stingray, and a Water Warriors Steady Stream. The next day I was hanging out with one of my buddies and I asked him if he would be down for a water gun fight some time around my birthday, which is a little over a week away. He said, "Oh, that would be great! It's been awhile since I've been able to use my CPS 2000."

I remembered the name from when I was younger and had wanted one of my own. I wasn't too worried yet though, because I figured that water blasters had probably come a long way since then, and I thought I could find something to match it. After some careful research, I've realized that water blasters have come a long way, but unfortunately it's been in the wrong direction. So my question is this: Is there anything I can get without spending an arm and a leg that would give me a chance of surviving against my friend's CPS 2000? I've been giving this a lot of serious thought, and the best thing I've thought of to use is a white flag. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

isoaker

Re: Need some help from the experts...

Post by isoaker » Thu May 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Welcome to the forums!

The current stock soaker crop still lies in the shadows of the greats released back in 1996-1998. However, there are still some decent choices that can do well even if up against a CPS2000 user. The CPS2000 is truly a potent blaster, but it is not unstoppable. Blasters like the Water Warriors Orca and Water Warriors Tiger Shark are decent. Not as powerful as a CPS2000, but can still give it a good run. The Super Soaker Flash Flood and Arctic Blast are a little smaller, but their "Flood" nozzles allow for closer-range torso-drenching attacks. There is, of course, also the option of building a blaster if you seek more power. However, I still believe some of the current stock blasters can still serve you well despite not being as powerful as the legendary CPS2000.

When it comes down to it, though, a white flag only means you'll end up utterly drenched without a fight. :goofy: Even a small blaster is better than none alone and if you time your attacks well, taking advantage of the short shot time and longer reloading time a CPS2000 has, you should be able to get some good shots in despite being on the lower side of the tech scale.

Hope that helps! You can find reviews of all the above suggestions on the main site, of course.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Thu May 29, 2008 5:43 pm

You can do what you can do with what is readily available as iSoaker suggested:
Flash Floods, Max-Ds, Arctic Blasts, etc.

If you have an account and can spare between 50-100.00 you can acquire one of the older CPS guns. Not necessarily the 2000 however. You did not state your price range but that you would not want to break your bank, so I cannot eliminate or state definitively what is good for you or bad, but to say that that which is older is usually better.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu May 29, 2008 7:48 pm

The joke might be on him because while the CPS 2000 is powerful, that doesn't mean it's practical. In fact, the CPS 2000 is terrible for water conservation. If you play on his weaknesses and the weaknesses of his water gun (as iSoaker said, the CPS 2000 has shot shot time, many pumps, and too much water usage) you should be able to beat him with the best of todays' water guns. There are more than one aspect to this game. ;)

If you do want to beat him in power though your best option is homemade water guns: http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/aph/

That's a pretty easy to build design. I've spelled everything out pretty clearly and you can built it in an afternoon and let it dry overnight if you set your mind to it. You won't need to as I've said though. I'm confident that with the right strategy you could beat his CPS 2000 easily.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Thu May 29, 2008 8:45 pm

I should say, use cover too and try to lure him into areas where range won't be as essential. Also, if he's unfamiliar with basic tap-shot conservation tactics, you've got a good chance of getting him drenched. (given you're able to stay out of range and charge in only as necessary, and can get him to waste his ammo on heavy, futile shots) When all else fails, dodge it.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

The Legacy

Post by The Legacy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:08 pm

I recently went on E-Bay to buy myself my third CPS - the first two I've owned I've had since they were new. Those are the CPS 1000, CPS 1200, and CPS 3200. The 3200 is a great blaster since it has a decent range, decent firepower, and a backpack which will last you a long while. The others are smaller and are just as good at conservation.

Anyway, as for non CPS blaster, I recommend the Arctic Blast; they are sturdy, they have tremendous shot time for their basic shot, and the main gun is the biggest single blast you can get from any Super Soaker to date. It's one of the few guns that has recoil (when in that mode).

Basically, to win a fight against a 2000, you need to use his lack of ammunition to your advantage. Stealth also helps. Once I snuck up to a friend from behind, and shot him with the blast of the Arctic Shock. Let me tell you, his back was DRENCHED.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:45 pm

One misconception: The Arctic Blast doesn't have the biggest shot of any manufactured water gun to date. On average I'm sure the Flash Flood matches it. 10X or larger nozzles on older CPS series water guns have as much or more output than the Arctic Blast or the Flash Flood too. If you're talking about currently available water guns you're correct. :cool:

The Legacy

Post by The Legacy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:50 pm

Ben wrote:One misconception: The Arctic Blast doesn't have the biggest shot of any manufactured water gun to date. On average I'm sure the Flash Flood matches it. 10X or larger nozzles on older CPS series water guns have as much or more output than the Arctic Blast or the Flash Flood too. If you're talking about currently available water guns you're correct. :cool:
Well, I was meaning calibre. I compared it to my 20X from my CPS 3200, and it's significantly larger than even that.

If you're meaning per second, you're very right. :goofy: