Hands-On: Super Soaker Quick Blast

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Hands-On: Super Soaker Quick Blast

Post by isoaker » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:35 am

At first impression, the Super Soaker Quick Blast looks pretty much like a restyled piston-based blaster. However, upon using it, it is different, using a new bit of interesting technology.

Styling and balance-wise, the Quick Blast is fairly minimal in design and weighs somewhat rear-heavy when the reservoir is fully filled. It would have been nice had the grip been positioned a little more below the reservoir to help balance the blaster.

The surprise is when the Quick Blast is pumped. While it has no trigger, the Quick Blast does not simply begin firing when the pump is pulled. Instead, the nozzle valve seems to delay until a certain pressure is attained; once reached, the nozzle valve opens and the blaster fires. Thus, the majority of streams produced by the Quick Blast have a minimum lower level (though I was able to get it to dribble more slowly during one controlled pumping experiment). It's tough to decide whether or not to call this a true separate pressure chamber, though I suppose it is since partial pumping will actually store water in the blaster until enough water or air is pushed in to achieve full pressure. This appears to be a smaller version of the device used on the Hydro Blitz's "Blitz" nozzle.

More stats and pictures to come...

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Hands-On: Super Soaker Quick Blast

Post by HBWW » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:10 pm

So, any specifics to how it works? I'm guessing the expansion of a CPS bladder opens up the firing valve. (based on what was mentioned) The nozzle seems to be somewhat larger than most (supposedly) "piston" soakers but the advertised range of 25ft was quite a turnoff.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:25 pm

Without opening it, it's a little hard to tell what it is using. Could be a small rubber bladder or it could be a spring-loaded design or it could even be an air-pressure design with some sort of toggling relief valve. It definitely stores pressure since, when trying to empty the blaster, I needed to pump it a couple of times for the nozzle to discharge mist shots. Each shot seems to max out at ~22-25mL (~0.7 oz), so it's a pretty small PC. I'll consider opening it up when I get more time.

Edit:
Link to the patent on the side of the Super Soaker Quick Blast. Gives insight into the technology used.

Drenchenator
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:35 pm

It probably just pumps the water into a separate chamber just like standard air pressure gun. The difference is in the firing valve: This one should have a check valve as the firing valve! The check valve would just open at a higher pressure than the normal, 1 psig check valves weren't used to seeing.

The patent seems to agree with this, or at least I think that the "Pressure Response Valve" is a check valve that opens at a higher pressure.

Either way, I doubt the usefulness of the gun. I'd rather have either a straight pump-and-shoot or pull-and-shoot gun; not pump, wait until pressure builds, then it shoots on its own.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:03 am

@Drenchenator: yeah, you're probably right in that it's just the nozzle valve with a solid pressure chamber that either ends up pressurized by air or ends up completely filled with water and pushes out the water as the pump pushes more. I should note, though, that a single pump is enough to make the blaster fire; the only times it takes multiple pumps for it to fire is either when one isn't doing full pumps or if one is pumping in air instead of water. The advantage to this system is that smaller kids who may not be able to pull fully on the pump as hard can end up producing a decent stream after a couple of short pulls. Definitely not everyone's cup-o-tea, but this feature of the Quick Blast was not something I initially expected when trying out this model. I, too, prefer simple pump-n-shoot water blasters, but this one may be useful for some.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:53 am

Pictures posted of the Super Soaker Quick Blast

It'll be a little while before I'll get a chance to write up the remainder of the review; hopefully this weekend. Enjoy the pics for now!

Soak on!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:32 am

Super Soaker Quick Blast review now posted (except for range testing). Enjoy!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:04 am

I started reading the review, and after the nozzle heading it says "The Avenger features a single, slightly larger than average nozzle." I don't think that's the right water gun name. :wink:

Here's another problem I noticed:
The grip, however, has a good size and length, accomodatingeven the largest of hands comfortably.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:35 am

Just goes to show you what happens why I try writing a review when tired. :goofy: Thanks for pointing out the typos; should be fixed momentarily.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:23 pm

2 pack of quick blasts for $20 at costco.
ownage

Croc

Post by Croc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Honestly, it looks like SS has taken a step back in technology with the screw on reservoirs. What good guns have screw on reservoirs?

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:40 pm

theres not really anything wrong with screw on reservoirs. its just that theyre impractical for larger guns, and dont work as well on PR guns. so theyre only practical on a gun like the quick blast. altho i guess that means there must be a hole in there somewhere for air to come in.
ownage

Croc

Post by Croc » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:33 pm

There should be some sort of O-ring seal on the gun, however, screw on reservoirs are a waste of time. You spend all your time unscrewing, filling, screwing back in, and then you have to re pressurize the gun, before being able to shoot somebody. This gun is a big step backwards.

XP270

Post by XP270 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:08 am

Croc, I know a couple good guns with screw on res. and they rock. Heres a few, XXP 175,SS 50,SS 100,SS 200,Bottle Shot, and the XP 65. These guns are great and their only downfall is they take a bit longer to reload. BTW Mornin every one!
Retired Leader of the Moubis Militia

Croc

Post by Croc » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:03 pm

My only problem with screw on reservoirs is that they take too long to mess around with getting them filled (esp. XXP 175, filling both reservoirs equally for equal pressurization)

I would rather have a tethered cap on this gun, like the STE triple shot with a tether, since it would be effective, and pressure could be released almost instantly.

isoaker

Super Soaker Quick Blast

Post by isoaker » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:55 am

Super Soaker Quick Blast Review

Willing to share your experiences, thoughts, personal reviews on this product? If so, post below!

Note: you must be a member of iSoaker.net to be able to post.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: Super Soaker Quick Blast

Post by SEAL » Sun May 16, 2010 2:38 pm

This blaster is one of only 2 new blasters released in 2008. It's got a larger nozzle and can push out more water then most Hasbro blasters, but it's range stinks. I can only really recommend it for close quarters combat. I've heard the Shot Blast is better though, but I have yet to test it.
Last edited by SEAL on Sun May 16, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun May 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Are you sure it's the first? When was the Steady Stream released?
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Sun May 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Hmm... You know what? You're right. I thought the Steady Stream used a different mechanism but I guess it's still a piston elastic hybrid. The Steady Stream beats the Quick Blast to the punch by a year.

I'll fix my original post.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.