Purism and Innovation Clash

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
DX

Post by DX » Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:12 pm

Some of you know me as a champion of innovation, always coming up with strange new wars ideas and strange new homemade designs. Others know me as a purist, holding onto a locally cherished Honor Code and the cordial behavior of a disciplined fighter. These two ideals have coexisted because I'm good at making things work in situations where they can't work. However, there is one thing I simply can't stand. I can see the trend and the horrible future awaiting water warfare, affecting all levels.

A disclaimer: I love innovation and the job BBT has done with their line this year.

The issue: I hate guns which pump themselves.

With the Scorpion and now the Tarantula, battery-powered soakers are making a name for themselves. Some people love that, some people see that as the way of the future. I recoil and shudder at the thought. The day battery-powered soakers take over the field is the day that I throw down my guns and disappear into the void that has claimed so many veteran water warriors before me. I staunchly believe that pumping is part of the game, and convenience has no place in water warfare. A true warrior doesn't mind pumping their own gun. I can bear overly-affluent families having their lawns cut for them, but I can't bear it when someone wouldn't pump their own freakin water gun. Next thing you know, guns will be able to shoot themselves on voice command, and then they'll be able to pump and shoot without a user even on the battlefield.

That's my main problem. Battery power places more emphasis on the gun, taking some away from the user. There's been weak emphasis on the user already, it doesn't need to get worse. While manufacturers are moving toward glorifying the gun, I've been moving toward glorifying the user. Since battery powered soakers make profit, they'll be around for a long time. Ideas and theories are forgotten once the faithful leave or forget. I'm basically fighting a losing battle, which is nothing new, but it's actually a battle that I can't win.

Pumping is part of the game. Not only does it help build up arm muscles, but it also helps teach you to conserve water better and to shoot better. For some, it is inconvenient. However, inconvenience is part of the game as well. You can't expect not to get dirty, scratched up, physically exhausted, etc. Taking the easy way out and getting a gun that pumps for you reveals a shallow soul lacking the fire of a warrior who enjoys water warfare for more than just the thrill of soaking another person. There's so much more to water wars than that. One battle can improve your self esteem more than a year of counseling. One battle can improve your leadership skills better than a month of classes. One battle can improve your problem-solving skills and ability to think creatively than an entire year of school. By skipping out on pumping your own gun, you are waving away the deeper meaning in water warfare. You don't care, and therefore will never see the things the hobby can do to boost your character.

I will always pump my own gun as long as I am able to soak. I will forever be opposed to the concept of battery powered soakers that pump for you [mods for that effect could be another matter]. I will always fight true and pure, old fashioned yet cutting edge at the same time. It is a unique balance and I absolutely love it.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:19 am

HERE HERE!
Thats almost exactly how I felt when the Scorpion was released.
But they've only been making one battery-operated-gun per year and the Tarantula's smaller than the Scorpion, so perhaps that indicates that it didn't sell very well last year. If it had, they would be stepping up that line of guns, but this year we see it declining, so hopefully it will fade away by 2008
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:24 am

Interesting read, but I don't have any fear of battery-power replacing good ol' hand-pumping. Sure, there may be more battery-powered blasters in the future, but even the "archaic soaker tech" of squirt pistols and load-and-shoot syringe-type soakers are still manufactured and sell plenty as well. Battery powered soakers, though can be fun, are also limited by battery life.

As for your balance between old-fashion and cutting edge, I truly don't see anything particularly unique about it. You're simply stating your preferences in various areas that everyone also has personal opinions about. Some others would be just as happy with cutting edge soaker tech, yet old-fashion water warfare rules of soak-til-you-drop. I'm more of a leading stock soaker + old fashion soakfest rules water warrior, myself. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:33 am

Pump 'til your arms fall off! Yeah, IMO electronics and water don't mix, and while some guns using batteries might be good, I won't get one. Takes the fun out of running out of water right when you pop up to shoot. :laugh: We probably won't use them but kids will, so they will have a place in the market, just not for enthusiasts.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:31 am

So far, the issues I have w/ pumpless guns is their requirements, which is either a hose or having to recharge/replace batteries. (plus the battery pumps are slower and louder) With that in mind (rather nice that hasbro isn't making any, crappy as their guns are right now), they should've been kept to a minimum in the first place. Some may argue that pumping is tiring and they don't want to and/or are unable to pump some guns. The solution is obvious, leave the large guns to those who can use them and get a smaller one. (heck, use squirt guns for all I care) If no good solution can be reached, don't play. But overall, battery powered guns are a hassle and rather a waste of money. QFD soakers aren't so bad, but are still barred by the hose. (unless you make one) They're cheaper and don't have the battery issue however, just limited by filling station.

I would have to agree with iSoaker on pumpless guns replacing traditional pumps. Some aren't going to pay that much and have to deal with the battery and noise issue, and old non-pressurization water gun tech is still around.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:48 am

QFD guns are okay, as long as they don't require a QFD to fill. (Looks in room and sees a Power Pak that has only been used once since taken out of the box, next to a heavily used SC600) Yeah, hoses can keep you back with old QFD only guns, but most battles tend to be around houses. There are a lot more negatives to battery soakers than pluses.

Post 310, yay. :soakon2:

Edited By Crashdummy on 1174841362

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:26 pm

By "QFD soaker", I was refering to the ones that require QFD's for refill. (Splashzooka, Power Pak, and Big Trouble) The other SC and monster based guns are rather nice, but the hose limitation on those 3 guns aren't.

Edited By C-A_99 on 1174843791
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

DX

Post by DX » Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:21 pm

QFD guns are a different story. Personally, I couldn't care less since they don't affect me. Bringing a QFD-only gun to a local war would be laughable. Even on a battlefield with things like hoses, any gun requiring a hose restricts your options across the board.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm

I completely agree with you Duxbarian. I have always been against guns which pump themselves. I also think pumping is part of the game.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:24 pm

Upon closer inspection of some of the BBT guns (well, mainly the WW Scorpion), it seems like water can get into the battery area even when it's closed up. You either need to submerge the area or firing a good blast into there. Interesting... (confirmation would be nice though lol, this is just based on obvservations I saw in the pics)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare