How to Pre-Pressurize a Soaker - Quick Guide

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:39 pm

This guide works solely for air-pressure based blasters that have a separate firing chamber, not soakers that pressurize their reservoir.

To prepressurize a blaster:
1) flip the soaker so that the reservoir intake is not in water (usually upside-down, but not always). - some blasters have an intake tube in their reservoir. Sometimes it's easier to prepressurize when the blaster is empty, but if you know where the intake is, it usually isn't too hard to position the blaster to that you end up pumping air;

2) quickly air pump 20-50 times - the number of pumps recommended really does depend on the blaster and its pump volume. Some soakers (like the XP150) can be well prepressurized in less than 20 pump strokes since it has a larger-volume pump. Speed of pumping is important since many newer blasters will not pump much air if one pumps slowly;

3) hold the blaster normally to pump in water - you will not be able to pump in as much water compared to when non-prepressurizing the chambers. However, the stream will typically behave much better and feel stronger;

4) fire away, but avoid long shots - tap shots and short bursts are recommended. Long shots increases the chance you'll drain the firing chamber and end up doing a mist-shot, undoing the pre-pressurization you had done earlier. Of course, if you lose the extra air pressure, simple repeat steps 1 to 3 to regain the power you'd lost.

Pre-pressurizing firing chambers basically increasing the initial pressure felt by the water as it enters the firing chamber. Though the final pressure cannot exceed what the check-valve allows, the average pressure when firing is increased, typically resulting in better blaster performance.

For some, this is a basic technique and often taken for granted. For others, this tip can give a slight power boost (often yielding a few extra feet as well as a more coherent stream). The main problem is mist-shooting if the firing chamber is low or uneven. However, it usually doesn't take to long to re-prepressurize again.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:27 pm

This also works very well on the Water Warriors guns that have Hydro-power.
ownage

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:56 pm

I'm not so sure I'd opt to push air into a 'Hydro Power' (CPS-type diaphragm) chamber. Power in those chambers comes from the elastic nature of the rubber used, not air. Adding in air to the mix will detract from firing volume, but add little to none to the power of the shot as far as I know.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:32 pm

It does add power, I promise! :p The power from the compressed air adds itself to the power from the rubber. If you don't beleive me, try it, it really makes the guns much more powerful and impressive. It does significantly decrease the amount of water in the chamber, as the check valve limits the amount you can pump in.
ownage

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:45 am

Hmm... I'll have to try it out, then!

Will post more after testing it out on my Blazer.

freak

Post by freak » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:29 pm

I've just tried it out on my piranha and it dose not seem to add that much power to the stream or increase range, not that I thought it would...
End world hunger and overpopulation, Support cannibalism.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:20 pm

How many times did you pump it? The Blazer takes about 70-100 pumps of air to increase the power substantially.
ownage

freak

Post by freak » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:28 pm

oh... I pumped my piranha 25 -30 times. Is all that pumping realy worth it? ???

freak

Post by freak » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:56 pm

Sorry about the double post. I was bored and I tried to prepressurize the Blazer. It does add a lot of power to your shot. Though when you pump it enough to increase power you can't pump much water in to the pc.