Blast from the Past- XP150 Review

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
ANNIHILATOR 2

Blast from the Past- XP150 Review

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:54 pm

*Notice*- May a Mod please change the "SS100" into a "XP 150" in the title?

My old review website ICE BLUE COMBAT(visualy apealing website I might add) has been long forgotten by now and is unknown to new members. So its a review series I call now Blast from the Past:

XP 150

The XP 150 is a small- midium sized soaker, released 1994. Its specialty is its power for an Air Pressure soaker and its low amount of pumps. The XP 150 is the most powerfull small- medium sized soaker and is therfore the most popular among Water Warriors and Collectors.

Strengths =
- Its power for an Air Pressure soaker
- Low amount of pumps
- Long shot time till severe drop off
- ability to shoot and pump at the same time for a continuing blast

Weaknesses =
- No strap, making caring a second soaker difficult

Pumps = 8 Intimidation = 6

Shot Time = 1.8X : 10 seconds Overall Power = 7

Mobility = 9 Soakage = 18

Construction = 7

Tank = 1.5L

ICE BLUE COMBAT Super Soaker Review site

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1113875827

Link to primary Super Soaker XP150 discussion thread
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:34 pm

I hate to raise this question, but I don't entirely understand your rating system. What are the maximums for each stat?
I can kill you with my brain.

If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back!

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:24 pm

Everything is out of 10 exept soakage and power. Soakage= Nozzle Size times Seconds. Power has an unlimited rating. CPS 2500 would be 12, while a CPS 2000 MK1 would be probably 14. A homemade APH might be 17-18.

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1113953148
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:32 pm

I don't think an APH is much more powerful than a CPS2000. It's just got a riot blast and nozzle choices.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:30 pm

Hyperion330 wrote:I don't think an APH is much more powerful than a CPS2000. It's just got a riot blast and nozzle choices.
If I'm not mistaken, an APH(Doomsoaker's design) has a 65 feet distance with its riot blast while the CPS2000 has only 52 feet. In other words it hurls a larger amount of water over greater distances, which clearly shows that the pressure is much higher on an APH. Of course it will depend on the PC size aswell. But yeah, the CPS 2000's power is overated.

LtDan64

Post by LtDan64 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:30 pm

Are you talking about the same thing? ...emphasis on HOMEMADE... some homemades have been known to shoot upwards of 70 ft. and more... exactly what about that seems not more much more powerful????
Nintendo: Ha, we have Sonic!
Microsoft: Yeah, but we got Rare.
Nintendo: .................................................................****!!

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:56 pm

ANNIHILATOR 2 wrote:
Hyperion330 wrote:I don't think an APH is much more powerful than a CPS2000. It's just got a riot blast and nozzle choices.

If I'm not mistaken, an APH(Doomsoaker's design) has a 65 feet distance with its riot blast while the CPS2000 has only 52 feet. In other words it hurls a larger amount of water over greater distances, which clearly shows that the pressure is much higher on an APH. Of course it will depend on the PC size aswell. But yeah, the CPS 2000's power is overated.
The Riot Blast on an APH, though it does hurl a serious amount of water, does not have 65 ft. range. More like 20 ft. You'd need a nozzle for a good 65 ft.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:05 pm

Hyperion330 wrote:
ANNIHILATOR 2 wrote:

The Riot Blast on an APH, though it does hurl a serious amount of water, does not have 65 ft. range. More like 20 ft. You'd need a nozzle for a good 65 ft.
True, but it is somewhat unclear on SSCental what the riot nozzle brings.
SSCentral:
APH Range at 45°
1/4" nozzle - 52 feet effective range, 56 to the last drop
3/8" nozzle - 55 feet effective range, 60 and a few inches to the last drop PC Capacity (2, 4" long chambers)
~ 1500 ml Review of the gun

The 20X nozzle should be abit smaller.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:05 am

The riot blast goes at least 30. If someone doesn't believe me I could likely make a video in the upcoming weeks, but not at the moment. The output is easily 40 to 50X depending on how much you pumped the chambers.

Yes, mathematically that is 1.5 liters a second. It's not impossible or even unlikely given high pressure and large PCs, exactly the situation an APH is in. Just don't surprise yourself with the massive recoil (more like a real gun).

I am extremely conservative in my range statistics. I also am moving towards the side of accuracy now and likely will be taking trials of 20 or more shots to get as much accuracy as possible (and other statistical information). I believe you all can rest assured that an APH can shoot at least the 55 feet I have listed there.

Theorhetically, one could pump as many times as they want and increase the pressure of a water gun (that is until the PC is full). If you go beyond the 50 or so pumps I used in those range tests and start going higher you should get more range anyway.

A homemade designed especially for range will beat anything we've seen. I've got the designs but no money or time to make them sadly.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:03 pm

Doom wrote:The riot blast goes at least 30. If someone doesn't believe me I could likely make a video in the upcoming weeks, but not at the moment. The output is easily 40 to 50X depending on how much you pumped the chambers.

Yes, mathematically that is 1.5 liters a second. It's not impossible or even unlikely given high pressure and large PCs, exactly the situation an APH is in. Just don't surprise yourself with the massive recoil (more like a real gun).

I am extremely conservative in my range statistics. I also am moving towards the side of accuracy now and likely will be taking trials of 20 or more shots to get as much accuracy as possible (and other statistical information). I believe you all can rest assured that an APH can shoot at least the 55 feet I have listed there.

Theorhetically, one could pump as many times as they want and increase the pressure of a water gun (that is until the PC is full). If you go beyond the 50 or so pumps I used in those range tests and start going higher you should get more range anyway.

A homemade designed especially for range will beat anything we've seen. I've got the designs but no money or time to make them sadly.
No need to be humble with the APH. Its always better to show the max distance. Afterall, thats what most people do when bragging with their sokaer.

You should write a review article wich would compare the APH with a CPS 2000/CPS 2500 head to head. Something like comparing a Ferari with a Ford Taurus head to head. I always liked uneven versus matches, and this one should damage the CPS 2000s overated image.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:38 pm

I am not going to be be "humble" either way; I don't believe in lies and won't inflate my statistics. Please remember that I am not trying to sell a product (yet at least!). I won't go measure ranges and take the best because I simply could get better ranges every single time. (That is the method Big Bee said he used by the way.)

I actually could definetly get better ranges, but I don't particularly care because good ranges are so accesible with homemades and the numbers already speak for themselves. However, I do believe I should try to pull out the best possible ranges soon because someone's going to soon think they do something real special by getting a water gun to shoot a certain distance. Pure range can be good, but there's other factors in water gun usability.

In the past I considered writing an article such as that, but I don't believe it would really do any good. There are those who are anti-homemade for whatever reason, and they can stay that way all they like. Safety concerns are non-existant unless you make a fire truck or shoot in the eyes. Cost is cheaper for the power

I also don't want to make unfair comparisons. Homemades are a completely different field of water guns, one that can be made into essentially anything. Power, usability, homemades win at all angles.

You can make a water gun as usable as you want with good strong range and a low amount of pumps. That's unfair for those who are just looking for money and selling kids toys. Remember, any and all manufacturers could make the greatest water guns there could be, but they choose not to.

If you want to continue this discussion, please make another topic for it. I love to talk about homemades, but not in an XP 150 review thread.

Edited By Doom on 1114033316

perilous

Post by perilous » Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:14 pm

Doom wrote:The riot blast goes at least 30.

30 feet! A friend of mine built an APH of your design, and it blasted water 80 feet, and it's shot was level to the ground. To me, it seems that the range on your design was under estemated. But his could've been a fluke though.

Edited By perilous on 1114046105
Soakage must live on in honor *x*

Check my Soaker Website! It is complete with Forums, Tech, Reviews, and other stuff

http://www.waterwarfarechronicle.50megs.com

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:55 am

80 feet? Sounds unrealistic. That's worse than Drewsky's 75 foot claim on his 21K. :p

Take a tape measure, mark where the gun was fired and where the stream ends (not the last drop of water). Measure from the first mark to the second. Even if the stream begins to dry from whatever surface you were firing from you should be able to get an accurate measurement.

As it turns out, that was more likely a measurement error.

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:02 pm

Also, remember, riot blast. No nozzle, just a big shot. Loses all pressure in less than a second.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:25 pm

Ok. I made an APH discussion thread. If anyone wants to discuss more about APHs please go here.
With APHs, there certainly is enough elbow room to do many things.