Super Soaker STE Flash Flood Review!

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
ChrisReid

Super Soaker STE Flash Flood Review!

Post by ChrisReid » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:05 pm

Well, aside from the email that ISoaker got, I think I've managed to snag the first soaker of the year again.. that's about 4 or 5 times in the 6 or 7 years I've been following him I think.

Super Soaker Flash Flood Review

If you’re like me, then this time of the year involves daily trips to all the various local stores that carry toys. Each day for the last few weeks I’ve seen plenty of empty Christmas shelves and lots of Nerf guns. But today I saw the first 2005 model Super Soakers!

This year’s line is called Soaker Tag Elite. Their boxes are mostly a distinct yellow and red, compared to the yellow and purple of 2004. This year marks the return of the Constant Pressure System technology, which is featured on all medium and large blasters. It’s worth noting that virtually all of the 2004 Soaker Tag soakers and numerous MaxD guns from previous years have been rereleased. All have been recolored and reissued in 2005 packaging with the new self-sticking Soaker Tags. This year also marks the return of a formidable backpack soaker, which I’ll review at a later time.

The CPS Flash Flood was my first purchase this year. It’s black and green, with an underslung reservoir similar to the design of the MaxD Secret Strike. Despite its large size, the soaker is well balanced for one hand and easy to fill. The pump handle is relatively small, but gets the job done. The main handle and trigger guard is a good size with a soft firm grip. Because of the CPS tech built into the Soaker Tag Elite guns, each blaster’s stream is much stronger and thicker than the recent MaxD or Soaker Tag models that have been produced over the last several years. Guns at the $19.99 price point in previous years have been pegged to the XP110/XP310/MaxD6000 medium to heavy rifle category, but because of the integrated CPS technology, the Flash Flood seems to clearly outperform those blasters. I’d compare it most closely to the SC600, though the stream has more of a kick and the blaster’s special feature is amazing.

The main reservoir is 40 ounces and feeds a large pressure balloon for a blaster this size. The most exciting feature is a special flash flood trigger located on the top of the gun. In a pinch, it can immediately unload the entire pressure tank in one huge blast of water. In many ways this soaker is similar to the Secret Strike mentioned above, but it is much more powerful. The main CPS stream has a noticeable kick behind it, and the emergency burst is much more powerful than any of the riot blast tricks possible with the original XP line. A couple years ago I was involved in a discussion about dream Super Soakers I wish would be made. This is exactly one of the Soakers I described. The main stream is powerful, and pulling the Flash Flood Trigger is like throwing a bucket of water on someone. All of this in such a portable package is excellent. I’ll definitely be using the Soaker Tag Elite Flash Flood this year.

I’ve included a picture of some of the other Soaker Tag Elite blasters pictured on the back of the box.

Previous Reviews:
Triple Aggressor: http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=8431
Helix: http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=9078
HydroBlade: http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=9411

Link to primary Super Soaker SoakerTag Elite Flash Flood discussion thread

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:23 pm

Nice! Thanks for the review and pics! May I re-post the review onto an appropriate iSoaker.com page?

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:38 pm

Holy crap! CPS!!! Happiness fills my heart.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

ChrisReid

Post by ChrisReid » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:25 am

NiborDude wrote:Holy crap! CPS!!! Happiness fills my heart.

Yeah, when I was shooting it outside I was slightly startled by the kick behind the stream and the flash flood attack.. then I remembered, "Oh yeah, CPS.."

ISoaker wrote: May I re-post the review onto an appropriate iSoaker.com page?

Feel free to post the review Isoaker.

Edited By ChrisReid on 1105252044

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:41 am

Sounds like hasbro's getting back in the game. When you bought it did you happen to see any of the new buzz bee toys line? And about what size is the stream? And please, for all people who plan on writing a review, please put resivoir volume in metric.

Edit: shot times would be nice, and amount of pumps to charge.

Edited By cooldood31 on 1105278290

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:39 am

Very promising review. To supplement my 2005 Preview page, would you mind if I used a few of your pictures and a few quotes from your review? Of course, credit will be given where credit is due.

If you could, find out the size of PC in ml. 40 ounces isn't too much for a reservoir. I suppose the PC size would be about half of that, but I have no way to be sure.

godzillasoaker65

Post by godzillasoaker65 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:55 am

Where did you get that? I am so happy CPS came back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D btw did they have any other ones

Edited By godzillasoaker65 on 1105282718

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:01 am

Awesome, CPS is back! And from what Chris said, in more than one gun.

The Flash Flood sounds like a great soaker. If only it weren't so ugly...lol. Any range stats? What size is the main nozzle?

Thanks for posting!

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:26 am

Ugly? Meh... beauty in the eyes of the beholder, I suppose. :goofy:

I like the design of the Flash Flood for a soaker. It LOOKS like a good soaker to me, though I await to actually test it. Of course, Chris' findings sound promising, but I still like trying things out in my hands.

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:09 am

Excellent, beautiful, fantastic. This is just how I predicted it with my recent article release. ladies and gentlemen CPS is back on the market. Im extremely proud of what Hasbro is releasing now, Im amazed the Flash Flood can empty its whole resevoir in 1 shot? Thats gotta be power. Again I cannot make a true opinion until our team tests them. From what it looks like, we are going to have to go hunting and shopping for a few... :cool:

Edited By Iceman on 1105287000
_

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:24 pm

While I don't like the color scheme, I could just paint it. On top of that, I think it's a promising start to the 2005 soaker year. However, the reference to the SC600, that soaker has an output of 1.67x (I think). That's not too powerful for a CPS. While I am glad that CPS is back, exactly how powerful is it? Statistics would be welcome.

2005! :bm1000:
I can kill you with my brain.

If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:36 pm

From the looks of the PC chamber, the rubber inside must be the size of a SC. So it has power, but not of the original CPS, which I'm not surprised, Baby steps. This year was most deffinately a step in the right direction. Hopefully next year will be a continuation. I want to learn more about these soakers before I buy them. I also want to see if they will be approprite for my team.
Soaker Media
-[color=E9E9E9]Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci[/color]-

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:50 pm

This is wonderful news! I'm glad that Hasbro brought CPS back, but be realistic, and don't get your hopes up too high for an awesome year, next year.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:09 pm

First post in awhile.

Awsome! I can't wait! Actually, I saw the first 2005 soaker this year, I saw a 2005 Vapo'.

Shadowstrike Prime

Post by Shadowstrike Prime » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:29 pm

In the immortal words of Bill and Ted, EXCELLENT!
"...Yes."

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:44 pm

Looks like Hasbro added a "Soaker Attack Ball" to the strap of the Devastator. Well, I guess it's better than on the bottom of the soaker, and it could come in handy.

EDIT: Sorry, it's on the strap of the backpack; forgot to specify.

Edited By Hyperion330 on 1105325119
I can kill you with my brain.

If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back!

USSA

Post by USSA » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:19 am

a) i'm shaking with joy
b) @wtmonkey - story
c) @ Chris which store did you purchase this at? (ie K mart, toys r us, kb toys, odd job)

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:32 pm

2-5X like nozzle? PC similar to the SC 600? More powerfuill than an XP? Well people lock your children up, since I do not know how Hasbro could moraly unleash that "Weapon of Mass destruction" on the market! The Insanity!!!

Nevermind my little sarcasm/criticism about the Flash Flood right now, I still do apreciate the review ChrisReid.

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1105389583
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:38 am

ANNIHILATOR 2 wrote:2-5X like nozzle? PC similar to the SC 600? More powerfuill than an XP? Well people lock your children up, since I do not know how Hasbro could moraly unleash that "Weapon of Mass destruction" on the market! The Insanity!!!

As no soakers made by the usual companies appear to ever be able to meet your standards (as I recall you said once even the CPS2000 didn't cut it anymore), I can only suggest you look towards building your own or get one custom built for you. Your non-constructive sarcasm, however, is definitely not appreciated. Opinions on soakers good and bad are fine, but a ridiculing attitude without even, at the very least, offering some suggestion of ways to improve things are not. These types of remarks will do nothing to help improve the situation or yield better soakers if that is one's end goal. It'll only fuel discontentment and that just brings about other sorts of problems. Again, if you don't like a soaker, that's fine, but state your reasons in a productive/constructive way.

'nuff said.

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:31 pm

Who care is they're not making cannons? I think it's nice that they're focusing on lighter weaponry, I'm currently looking through light "rifle" soakers, not cannons, I'm probably not going to buy either aquapak, or anything bigger than a pirahna until one of my 3 CPSes (what's the plural form anyway?) breaks. Does liking smaller soakers more mean I'm weird or stupid or don't like getting wet? No. It means I support a different style of play. If you want more powerfull soakers than available, like isoaker said, build one yourself.