CPS - IT'S NOT COMING BACK!

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 7:35 pm

I am really sick of everyone saying "In 2005 there will be a CPS 4000" of other crap like that. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but CPS IS NOT COMING BACK! Let's see why it's not coming back, shall we?

1. Hasbro wasn't making enough money off CPS: It might of cost around $40 to make a MXL, and they sold it for $80. But they made a few thousand MXls. And only about a thousand were bought. So they lost a lot of money just on MXls. Just think of all the other CPS!

2. People thought CPS were to dangerous: Once the CPS 2000 Mk1 was released, every kid begged their parents to get one. When they finaly did, the kid had a water gun fight with another person with a CPS 2000. They both shot each other in the face, and they said there friend's water gun hurt them. Both of the childrens parents then through the CPS 2000 out, and complaned to Hasbro about it. Habro then stopped making the CPS 2000 and over time, after countless complants, the CPS line was stopped.

3. Marketing price: Because the CPS line cost so much to manufacture, the retail price was high too. And most people thought "$50 for a puny water gun? No way. I'll gust buy a water pistol for $1.", and that's what ended up happening. So hasbro ended making $0, and the water pistol company $1. Plus how much did the CPS 2000 cost to make? $30-$40. How much did the water pistol cost to make? 10 cents. So total profit: Hasbro:-$50, Water Pistol Company:90 cents. Which company made $49.90 more?. The Water Pistol Company.

Thoese are three reasons why CPS isn't coming back. I'm sure there are many more reasons why CPS isn't coming back, but only Hasbro knows all of them.

And another fact it that deep down inside of us, we know a CPS isn't worth more than $40, even a CPS 2000 Mk1. But I bought a CPS 2500 off ebay for $95. Why? because I am a water collector/user. It I wasn't part collector, most of my arsenal would be saokertag. And that's the truth.

Edit: Isoaker's 4200 post!
Double Edit: There might be some confusion because the CPS 4100 is still being made. My guess is in about 2 years, ALL CPS will stop being made.

Edited By Drewsky92 on 1093138908

Peeko

Post by Peeko » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:17 pm

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
I am one with the water

leprekan

Post by leprekan » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:33 pm

sadly, this is true. not so sadly, new technology will arise, making hurling a half gallon of water at someone 50ft away safely possible. the powerful water gun industry is not dead, it is just going through a bad time.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:45 pm

Great deduction, Sherlock. That's what we veterans have been telling you guys all year.

Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:59 pm

Yes, but you havn't said it very clearly, because I still hear stuff about a CPS 1300 ond so on.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:05 pm

BS. No one's said anything about specific models.
Soakologist wrote: The CPS line is definitely not coming back in case anyone here is delirious. Iceman and I called Hasbro and it's looong gone.
Looks like we're going to rely on WW.

Edited By Soakologist on 1093140572

Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:16 pm

Yes they did. On ssc.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:39 pm

Show me. I don't believe you.

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:14 pm

Yeah. We've all known this since January. The Veterans have spoken. and this topic keeps bringing it up. Im sorry you and everyone else is going through CPS withdrawl, but the complaining and whining needs to stop. Send it at hasbro, not us. The good of us are trying to recover. Either join us and forget the problems or stay stuck on withdrawl forever.

Im sick of the nonsense. he community (most of it) is sick of the nonsense. We ALL know why, and have been reminded many times. Quit tryign to bring people down, and move on. Only the true warriors can do that. :cool:
_

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:28 am

Drewsky92 wrote:Yes they did. On ssc.
On SSC? If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, that was Doom's April Fools' Day joke article.

However, I wouldn't say 'never'. Just not necessarily next year. If Hasbro manages to find a way to make cheaper CPS soakers and/or needs to compete with other companies such as Buzz Bee Toy, we may yet still see CPS-class soakers at some point in the future.

I await to see what each coming year offers and will make my assessments then and only then.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:08 am

I now don't think I should have done that joke, it keeps coming back to haunt us all. Here's what I have in the SSC news thing, had to dig it up in the admin because I never added the feature to do that on the site.
Hasbro has emailed me with the ok to post something about the planned 2005 CPS soaker line, apparently they haven't abandoned it, so don't go discontinue your support of them. They are planning a lot of new stuff, from the CPS 1000/1200 reincarnation, the CPS 1300, to the mighty CPS 4000. The line up is the CPS 1300, the CPS 1800, a CPS 1500/1700 clone, the CPS 2600, with power similar to a CPS 2500, and of course the CPS 4000. The CPS 4000 from what they told me is going to be really good.

First, they made it a backpack gun, but the backpack is padded and has several straps to balance the weight of the water good. They said that they made it extra large so small kids couldn't use it. The pump shaft is 3/4" ID instead of 1/2" ID, so it will take much less pumps, but it will be harder to pump, another thing to keep small children from using it. It has a CPS chamber similar to that of the CPS 2000, it can expand much more than the 2000's though, so it will have a larger PC. The planned nozzles are 2X, 10X, 20X and Typhoon, similar to the CPS 3000/3200, but with 5X replaced by 2X.

Remember that this is completely untrue, I have never recieve and emails from Hasbro on the subject.

I was planning this joke since March 2003, I wanted to make a picture of it but didn't make one. Remember, if any news I post on April first sounds ridiculous or too good to be true, it probably is just a joke.

[edit]

http://forums.sscentral.net/index.php?showtopic=604

Topic all about it at SSC.

Edited By Doom on 1093180885

Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:57 am

@ Soakologist: If you want proof, go to general soaking, 2005 Soakers on SSC.

@ Doom: Although this is untrue, I still hear a LOT of n00bs still saying it. Mabye you should make it more clear (like a pinned topic) that it was a joke.

Edited By Drewsky92 on 1093194959

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:48 am

There's no proof anywhere in that thread, Andrew. Sorry.

And please, PLEASE spell my name right. It's not too hard. If you want... call me Cloud.

Edited By Soakologist on 1093193388

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:37 am

This is very interesting indeed. I had no clue that there was an April Fool's ariclce about calling Hasbro or something. It kind of reminds me of when General RAK created a joke article about the No Child Left Behind program bannign large water weaponry. Anyway, due to the laws of corporate competition Hasbro will eventually be forced to bring back CPS or create something even better to compete with WW's diaphragm system.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:30 pm

Not if the consumers aren't smart enough to realize that they're dumbing the guns down. And trust me, the consumers AREN'T smart enough. :(

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:56 pm

Field Marshal Yang wrote:This is very interesting indeed. I had no clue that there was an April Fool's ariclce about calling Hasbro or something. It kind of reminds me of when General RAK created a joke article about the No Child Left Behind program bannign large water weaponry. Anyway, due to the laws of corporate competition Hasbro will eventually be forced to bring back CPS or create something even better to compete with WW's diaphragm system.
That was me. And if I had've added Bush's name to it, instead of just referring to him as the President, I wouldn't have been caught.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:41 pm

unfortunatley, i have to agree, the future of the super soaker does not look good. in my opinion, it all started when hasbro bought out larami. larami actually cared about the quality of it's products whereas hasbro just wants money, so they make cheap, tiny, gimmicky guns that little kids will buy.
and yes, i know everyone probably already knows all this, so i don't want negative comments on my post, i was just stating my opinion.

we are obviously going through a soakological famine, so to speak, and i think we should all stock up on CPS guns while the getting's still relatively good, and wait for 2005.
-The Wizard of Water

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:27 am

Adrian wrote:
Field Marshal Yang wrote:This is very interesting indeed. I had no clue that there was an April Fool's ariclce about calling Hasbro or something. It kind of reminds me of when General RAK created a joke article about the No Child Left Behind program bannign large water weaponry. Anyway, due to the laws of corporate competition Hasbro will eventually be forced to bring back CPS or create something even better to compete with WW's diaphragm system.

That was me. And if I had've added Bush's name to it, instead of just referring to him as the President, I wouldn't have been caught.

Adrian
Sorry about that. My long-term memory dosen't serve me very well these days. In fact, my memory never was as good as most of the people I know. Anyway, one of the only palces have access to CPS soakers is ebay, so the getting isn't that great anymore.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

ChrisReid

Post by ChrisReid » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:12 pm

BlueMage wrote:we are obviously going through a soakological famine, so to speak, and i think we should all stock up on CPS guns while the getting's still relatively good, and wait for 2005.
After recently inventorying my collection, I have to say this is far from true. There were actually quite a lot of little gimmicky Super Soakers made under Larami. The Aqua Squirtz are just a short extension of the original Power Soaker Lil' Squirtz Super Soakers. Nothing's changed under Hasbro.

SilverFist

Post by SilverFist » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:15 pm

Drewsky92 wrote:1. Hasbro wasn't making enough money off CPS: It might of cost around $40 to make a MXL, and they sold it for $80. But they made a few thousand MXls. And only about a thousand were bought. So they lost a lot of money just on MXls. Just think of all the other CPS!
can you back that up with facts and official reports?