Latest Soaker / Water Blaster

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Re: Latest Soaker / Water Blaster: Air Hogs Sharp Shooter Hydro

Post by isoaker » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:47 pm

dragonclass wrote:Hey, someone tell Hasbro I found an awesome app for their Nerfed squirters: the Hydro.

So, what you're really saying is that now we can have drones in our water wars now? Somehow, not sure how well that thing would survive anti-aircraft spray. :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

the oncoming storm
WWN League Team: Havoc

Re: Latest Soaker / Water Blaster

Post by the oncoming storm » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:25 pm

useless yes, but it sure looks cool.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:12 pm

Anti-aircraft you say?

You don't even need any heavy artillery, the range on the box says 10 ft, so any new water guns Nerf has made have enough range to hit it... I think
My friends call me Nader. My foes just run.
Photos relocated to: https://www.flickr.com/photos/151868511 ... 8741427445
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:30 pm

That's why you have it sneak up on your opponent.

Oh wait. Helicopters are loud.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:49 am

Just send it up really high above enemy heads and make it rain down on them. 10 feet is only horizontal range.

Don't think I'd use this in a war, but I've thought about that sort of thing before.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

Splatterpunk

Post by Splatterpunk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:28 am

Just one question: how can I tell if this is hydro powered or air?

Ordered an ex-stock water blaster which arrived today. It's re-branded Chad Valley, which is a popular children's brand over here and you can still see the Water Warriors "WW" next to "Sphinx" despite the reworking of the sticker.

What I was surprised to see was the fake rear trigger and the dotted orange decals on the side indicating that it could possibly the hydro version. However, the strap is missing and I know the air powered version was introduced over here as I saw Water Warrior branded ones in stores last summer.

Any help? Would like to see how this compares to the Colossus 2 this weekend.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 6743 times

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:28 am

@ Splatterpunk: nice find! Check the top of the PC for a hole. If there's a hole, it's Hydro Power. If there isn't a hole, it is more likely air pressure. Of course, opening it up would confirm things.

Splatterpunk

Post by Splatterpunk » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks! I just tried firing the thing upside down. Assuming there isn't some kind of one-way valve on the input tube of the pressure chamber, if it is air-powered I would assume it would shoot out air?

That said, iSoaker's visual clue is much quicker - and it does both have a hole on top of the yellow sphere and fire upside down. I may also have a peek inside at the weekend after I test it against the Colossus 2.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:16 am

@Splatterpunk: if there's a hole in the top and, particularly, if you feel some air coming out when you pump up the PC, it's Hydro Power. Let's face it, you can't build up air-pressure with a hole in the chamber. :cool:

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Holy capdragons. I never would have guessed that with the fake electronic pressure gauge that this thing would be Hydro Power. Very cool, congrats! *EDIT* I was thinking of the Water Warriors Lightning, which I have several of, not the Sphinx of which I have 0)

In particular, the air that comes out of the hole for the PC should smell strongly like rubber. Kind of a sickly sweet smell. The smell of raw power.
Anyways....
Last edited by soakinader on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:54 am

soakinader wrote:Holy capdragons. I never would have guessed that with the fake electronic pressure gauge that this thing would be Hydro Power. Very cool, congrats!

In particular, the air that comes out of the hole for the PC should smell strongly like rubber. Kind of a sickly sweet smell. The smell of raw power.
Anyways....
Guess you never saw this review on iSoaker.com, then. What Buzz Bee Toys could've been doing had they not been blocked by an injunction...

Splatterpunk

Post by Splatterpunk » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:21 am

I am now starting to see what all the fuss is about with CPS class blasters! It's a shame Water Warriors never had the chance to produce more of these hydro powered models which were just about approaching some of the output of those old Super Soakers.

@iSoaker: the large nozzle outputs and ranges on your review are spot on, although the mid-size nozzle here seems to shoot a bit further - that said, the small nozzle strangely shoots towards the right which looks really peculiar so I wouldn't use this as any indicator of the norm!

I do have to say though, that rear false trigger is really, painfully annoying. Painful when pulling the main trigger and painful when pumping the pressure chamber, and that's really annoying.

That said, I am amazed by the water output of this Sphinx - despite all the constant refills!
Last edited by Splatterpunk on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:06 pm

My advice is if those Sphinx aren't very expensive for you, to pick up one or three more. Unless you are lucky enough to find old CPS blasters "Over there" this is probably your only chance to nab some powerful water guns.
Also check the store for any other goodies, like a Gorgon, Vindicator, Vanquisher, or Expedition. (basically anything Hydro Power in the 2009-2010 section of the Water Warriors Elastic Pressure Tree.

Also, you can make the trigger area more comfortable if you have some time, a screwdriver and some kind of JB Weld, Epoxy Putty, or plasti-form stuff. I tend to modify my Water Warriors guns to make them more comfortable for my large hands.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

dragonclass

Post by dragonclass » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Splatterpunk wrote:that said, the small nozzle strangely shoots towards the right which looks really peculiar so I wouldn't use this as any indicator of the norm!
The small nozzle needs retapped with a drill bit that is around the same size if you have a steady hand. Good luck, Brad
Brad Beaty
Engineman 1st class(ret)
US Naval Expeditionary Command(NECC)

Don't think outside the box...There Is No Box

marauder

Post by marauder » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:36 pm

Any chance you'd be willing to buy one for me if I send you the money?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

Splatterpunk

Post by Splatterpunk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:27 pm

I think the international shipping will be prohibitive as it weights almost 2Kg when packed in it's box!

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Wait. So you're telling me that this little Sphinx in a box weighs more than a CPS 2000? huh.
Also, I will be getting some new water guns tonight! I'll post the pictures later!

Ta da!

A Speedloader 2000 and 2500, for 5$ each! They popped up on craigslist a few days ago, (thanks to my incessant searching for watergun/water gun/water guns) and today I was able to pick em' up! For 5$ who cares what condition they're in? They might even work!
*EDIT* They DO work. And they're awesome!
Last edited by soakinader on Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

Splatterpunk

Post by Splatterpunk » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:53 am

The parcel was listed at 1.8Kg, boxed and bubble wrapped. The Sphinx itself is about 1.1Kg when empty which is surprisingly heavy (although the plastics used are better quality than my Colossus 2).

Kind of explains Buzz Bee's train of thought with the smallish reservoir, it's a lot less heavy than a filled up Gorgon but still pretty heavy for a kid to carry. Talking I which, there's a Gorgon (air pressure) for sale at the same shop. It's their last one but isn't discounted. Is it worth triple what I paid for a hydro powered Sphinx?

soakinader

Post by soakinader » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:20 pm

I don't know, how much did you pay for the Sphinx? If the answer is less than 5-10$, then sure. :P
I wouldn't pay more than 15$ for a Gorgon, that's for sure.

Air Pressure Gorgon's are actually pretty nice guns in terms of power, with the exception that the pump is... difficult. The Hydro Power version is more or less the same, sort of less power but you can fire it upside down XD

And to make this post legit:
I went to both local VV and Talize, found this SC 600 for 4$. No stickers, some green goo jammed in the res. cap, and only a tiny cracked chunk of o ring left, but otherwise it's good.

*EDIT* The pump seal on this is a little bit loose (I can fix that), but it still functions well. It's a great little gun.
I find 'em, I fix 'em.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:30 am

I have to wait till tomorrow to get it, but the person I sold my CPS 1200 to is GIVING it back to me.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo: