The Myth; Definitely Not True - Cps 2000 + Eye = ...

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:40 pm

Cps 2000 + Eye = ... not much, actually.

I was fighting in a 1HK match against my brother and a friend, with my friend having already been eliminated. I was armed with a fully pumped MK2 Cps 2000 and a Big Trouble for backup. I was lining up a shot at my brother with the 2000, which I was holding in my right hand partially supported by the strap, and I also had the BT in my left hand. I looked away for a second after something in my peripheral vision caught my attention. My brother saw that I had looked away, and promptly shot me in the ear.

Surprised and confused by this action, I pulled the trigger on my fully-pumped CPS 2000 without thinking, and nailed my innocently-bystanding friend, who had already been eliminated and was just observing, directly in the eye.

He experienced moderate pain for about 5-10 seconds, and then discomfort in that eye for about 30 seconds to a minute, but was then okay. I immediately repeatedly apologized, mortified that I would be so careless as to do this to someone, but he was completely cool with it, no worries at all. He understood that it was an accident and that he was in the line of fire.

Basically... Myth -- BUSTED.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Well, that was a good real-life scenario. :laugh:
But to get a truly statisticl sample, you would need to shoot several people in they eye, many times, from varying ranges, then avarage how much damage it did. :p

Juuuust kidding on that last bit. :cool:
The Maple-Mountain-Marines.

Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:55 pm

Well, no blaster's stream is pleasant to have shot in another's eye and going for close-range eye shots is not a good thing. Length of time of the discomfort really depends on the person. I know others who have also had themselves hit by a Mk.1 CPS 2000's stream in the eye at close range. They complained of blurry vision in that eye for several minutes (and these people aren't the type to just complain unnecessarily). While I never considered the rumor/urban myth about a stream popping an eye (or the other one about breaking a car window), I'd still recommend never aiming for soft tissues (i.e. eye, nose, ear, etc.) when engaged in a water war.

The goal of a water war should always be to soak another, never to injure. Accidental shots are bad enough.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:58 pm

I never was one for the myths either, however now I have total and unquestionable proof... :-D

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:05 pm

now I have total and unquestionable proof... :-D

Sorry, cobralex297, but WaterWolf more correctly stated that to truly bust the myth, you'd need to get a bunch of CPS 2000s and go firing them into various eyes from varying distances to see what happens... not that I'd recommend doing such a thing. :oo:

Single examples/experiments/results are not enough to prove something (at least not from a scientific standpoint); you might have just gotten lucky. Of course, using this same logic, as there is only one of you, I can't prove you exist nor could prove that your parents made you, either, but I digress... :goofy:

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:09 pm

Eek. I hadn't read waterwolf's post, only yours because it was the newest one and I didn't see his. I suppose you're both right, it doesn't make sense to say that proof is total. Well, since I unfortunately am unable to shoot several people in several eyes with several 2000s of varying marks... ... *kidding*

I can't say much more. :laugh:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:21 pm

I've been saying this for several years and no one seemed to listen . The CPS 2000 has the exact opposite of what is needed to cause eye damage: a large stream. Small streams get more cutting force due to the higher pressures applied. Shoot someone in the eye with something like an XP 150 and see how they feel afterward. There's a reason water jet cutters use small streams. That's not saying large streams will be pleasant in the eye though. Avoid the face please.

With that being said, the CPS 2000 might be capable of what feels like a slap. Shoot a lot of water on a large area of someone and as it breaks, it feels like a slap. Pretty interesting.

Anyway, I had considered buying a bunch of pig's heads to do a bunch of eye shot tests with a water gun that performs similarly to the CPS 2000. That's not too hard to do. :cool:

Edited By Ben_ on 1186280542

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:49 pm

It would be interesting to buy pigs heads and do testing with them, however where would you get pigs heads?

Plus, much damage that happens on the eye is not visible *no pun intended* on the exterior. I don't say this in a demeaning way, but unless you're a doctor, discerning damage may be difficult...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:08 am

I understand that I am no doctor and some of the damage will be invisible to the untrained eye. When I was a little younger I had my eye poked with a stick and it was scratched up. No one could see the scratches, but when we went to a doctor that's what they said it was. However, the myth is that the CPS 2000 can pop someone's eye and I'm pretty sure I can tell if an eye has "popped."

As for where I'd get the pigs heads, that's not too hard actually. Most butchers just throw them away from what I know. There's a butcher in town and I'm sure he'll be more than willing to give several pigs heads away.

Edited By Ben_ on 1186312176

cobralex297

Post by cobralex297 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:12 am

Wow. I suppose you're correct, that the myth does just describe a 'pop', and that shouldn't be too hard to look for. If you do ever happen to get this done, it would be interesting to see the results.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:19 am

Are we talking about the force required to cause eye "popping" or the amount needed to cause eye damage now? While seeing how much force it takes to "pop" an eyeball may be interesting to some, I'd be more interested to know what sort of stream forces begin causing minor damage and when permanent damage is more likely. Stream thicknesses have different effects on an eye. As Ben noted, thin streams have a more poking/cutting effect while thick streams will feel more like a slap or punch. While eye (and even face) shots should be avoided at close range, as what happened in cobralex297's case, accidents sometimes happen. If some blasters are found to be more likely capable of causing permanent damage if mishandled, that would be a good reason to suggest eye protection when those type of blasters are in use.