Pet Peeves - What's yours?

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Rook

Post by Rook » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:23 pm

What are some of your pet peeves regarding soakers? I doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's soaker-related.

One of mine is when people call them "squirt guns". :angry:
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

sbell25

Post by sbell25 » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:52 pm

Mine is when people mistreat my soakers when I lend them out...i.e throwing them on the ground and running away, or pumping it too violently and nearly breaking it, that sort of thing. I try to preserve my guns as long as possible because you just can't buy most of them anymore, but it sucks when others just treat them like some cheap toy that can easily be replaced.

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:14 am

Interesting topic. Possibly one of the more original to come up recently.

People treating soakers/soaking as too childish. People taking soakers/soaking too seriously. Mistreatment of old guns. Most especially, people thinking one is too old for soaking. You can never be too old!

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:36 am

^Ditto on the too old for soaking part.

One of my biggest peeves, as a techie guy, is having some new member at SSC or SoakerMedia ask for exact directions and pictures of each and every part to build a Douchenator (which contains 11 pieces total, less if you go for a more simple design).

The requisite, "I want to K-Mod my *insert name of non-k-moddable gun here*. PLZ TEACH ME HOW!!!" is always very annoying.

Edited By wetmonkey442 on 1153143397
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:27 pm

My peeves are definitely no pets o' mine. :goofy:

Probably my biggest one with regards to water warfare is the general lack of appreciation of water fights by the general populace (well, that is until people are actually exposed to them). I have yet to find someone who has shunned a water fight on a hot day, yet so many people that are initially against trying it out (until holding a soaker, of course). Once exposed, I usually find it no problem getting people to participate in future fights; the hard part for me is just finding free time to do so.

My other main peeve deals with some aspects of Soakerdom which, thankfully, seem to be changing for the better. My main concern is the division and somewhat negative attitude in the past that ended up coming up too often on forums. IMO, while some concerns and complaints are valid, it was making Soakerdom seem overall too negative and wasn't doing anything positive to fix things or attempt to attract more into soaking in general. Thankfully, things have gotten better these days.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:11 pm

Rook wrote:What are some of your pet peeves regarding soakers? I doesn't matter what it is, as long as it's soaker-related.

One of mine is when people call them "squirt guns". :angry:

Somewhat similarly, I'd say that people saying "you mean like water pistols?" when talking to them about Super Soakers can be irritating.

Edited By Spinner on 1153167145
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:17 pm

I have quite a lot:

-When someone complains about something in 1HK Elimination and applying that to all of 1HK in general.

-When someone says "please don't squirt me" [heck, I've got stuff that could knock them right off their feet].

-11 pieces? A new Douchenator should have 9 pieces... :p I also get annoyed with requests for baby steps when making something like that. Now I need baby steps for certain items, but usually those items are a lot more complicated than just 9 pieces of PVC.

-When someone makes a post about something totally random in an otherwise really good topic.

-When someone displays an elitist attitude toward other teams without backing it up with tactical, numerical, and technological superiority on a nationally competitive scale. Of course, if your team has a record such as 6-0-1 [wonder who's that is :;): ] against a difficult enemy, it is quite justified.

-When someone makes smartass comments about my wars without having actually experienced them. Doesn't happen often, since the reputation of the wars speaks for itself. I use certain phrases often when explaining what we do to others: "like paintball" , "pneumatic artillery" , "intense fast-action" , "night battles like Ghost Recon" , and "a normal store-bought soaker has output of about 1-5x. This thing has output of up to around 110x for comparison".
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:43 pm

1 piece of 3" PVC pipe for barrel
2 reducers
2 pieces of (whatever smaller size pipe your using)
2 threaded coupler
1 ball valve
1 piece of 3" PVC for chamber
1 end cap
1 schrader valve

Comes out to 11 pieces total. :;):

Rook

Post by Rook » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Another of mine is when people have no idea how good the old guns are and say "OMG Arktic Shock is teh best gun evur!!!!111one". Or something along those lines.

Another one is when people are sitting on these great guns and let them fall into disrepair. :(

And thank you Adrian.
My Armoury: Storm 750, CPS 4100, Triple Aggressor, Blazer, SI Flash Flood (Nozzle Drilled), 100 oz. Aquapack, MONSTER X (2002), WW Argon, A.R.M. 4000 XL, MI Defender, MI Helix, Water Weapons Waveblast, CPS 2700

My "broken" Armoury: CPS 4100, XP 55

forestfighter7

Post by forestfighter7 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:01 pm

Mine is when people always go on and on about how the guns suck nowadays and used to be better. Another one is when someone emptys out their entire 2500's PC on 20x and then say that they "squirted" someone.
If you would like to join the Superior Water Attack Team please pm me.
The soaker chooses the user, Harry Potter...

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:10 pm

1 piece of 3" PVC pipe for barrel
2 reducers
2 pieces of (whatever smaller size pipe your using)
2 threaded coupler
1 ball valve
1 piece of 3" PVC for chamber
1 end cap
1 schrader valve

Comes out to 11 pieces total. :;):

You could be saving those two smaller pipes connecting the adaptors to the reducers. Use a 1"-3" bushing or a 1 1/4"-3" bushing, or whatever your ball valve size is. 9 pieces. :p

Edited By Duxburian on 1153433457
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:16 pm

Hmm, we don't have bushings with threaded adaptors built in, around my area.

Using a PVC ball valve with the available parts in my area, I could build a standard Douchenator style WBL out of 9 pieces.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:30 pm

I don't have threaded bushings of that size either. The inside of the bushing goes right over the male adaptor in the ball valve. Then again, that assumes the ball valve, regardless of the type, is female threaded.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:36 pm

Hmm.. another pet peeve: thread hijacking! :goofy:

Actually, it's more of being annoyed at myself for not quite knowing what to do when a thread wanders from its original purpose. I suppose some forum software allows one to split threads into parts, but this one only allows combining of threads, not splitting.

This is not meant to blame members for finding other aspects to discuss in a thread. However, I wonder whether it'd be better to make new threads at times and offer a link from an existing thread. Then again, perhaps the problem is more due to the type of forum we're on as opposed to having diverging discussions in a particular thread.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:39 pm

Well, sometimes people wander without realizing it until later...oops... :laugh:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:52 pm

Duxburian wrote:Well, sometimes people wander without realizing it until later...oops... :laugh:
hehe.. as I tried to say in my last post, I don't blame members for wandering. It's quite natural, actually, and more unnatural to just stick to one topic in a particular thread. However, for sake of those newer to a thread, keeping the subject on track helps others get adjusted. It's tricky, I tell ya!

Speedbeetle06

Post by Speedbeetle06 » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:45 pm

A pet peeve of mine is when people dont take water warfare seriously. I invite some of my freinds over for a 1hk, and they dont obey the "1HK" rule. They just think its a sqiurtfest.
Another one is when your in a war, and the person you're against drops their gun and stands there and lets you shoot them. That defeats the whole purpose of a water war.

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:04 pm

Hmm...I actually don't have any pet peeves to offer--other than what has already been said! These are all great, people, and I feel the same with at least 90% of them. That probably goes for those who posted but forgot about some of the other stuff that came up later...