Review of the MI Defender

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
DX

Review of the MI Defender

Post by DX » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:48 pm

As you may or may not know, I recieved a Defender as a gift from a certain someone. I decided to test it a few minutes ago just for the heck of it.
[In SM review format]

Max Infusion Defender

*Ratings have been adjusted to reflect evolving conditions on the field of battle.*

Some Stats: [All ratings are based out of 10]

Shot Time:
1x: 3-5 seconds
Capacity: ~1 liter
# of pumps: 6-12
Mobility:
With an inexperienced user: 10
With an average user: 10
With a veteran user: 10
Intimidation:
Against an inexperienced enemy: 0-1
Against an average enemy: 0
Against a veteran enemy: -1
Overall Power:
Against an air pressure gun: 8
Against a small CPS: 5
Against a medium CPS: 3
Against a large CPS: 2
Against a modded gun: 0-2
Against a homemade: 0-2

Well, this would not be my weapon of choice in 99% of situations. The stream lacks a lot of power for a gun that size. To be fair, the pc capacity is only 150mL [my first homemade's are nearly 2000mL] and the nozzle is basically pinhole sized . The range is about 35 ft, although I wasn't expecting better. It was still kind of awkward shooting a stream that short. The stream velocity was on the slow side, comparable to other air pressure guns of that class. What I did like was the design. No-nonsense, bare bones, compact. The grip was also suprisingly comfortable, it doesn't look that way at first. The pump is really short and small, but it does its job somehow. This gun could easily fit into a backpack and is light as a feather. But filling is awkward because the cap screws off in the opposite direction that caps normally do. Was not quite ready for that!

Overall, I personally wouldn't use this in a battle unless I had already tossed away like 4 empty backup guns. :p If you must use it, it would work as a heavy gun or artillery sidearm. Or something to keep in your backpack for I don't know what. Even better, as a primary gun in the "false gun switcheroo" tactic. Based on observations in recent wars, this gun can stand up to other air pressure guns and small CPS guns pretty well. I would not have said that a year ago, but it is true now since wars have progressed significantly.

Pros:
Compact design
Comfortable grip
Extremely light

Cons:
Short pump
Small output
Bad range
Cap twists in the inverse direction

Mods for the MI Defender:
Check Valve Freeze
Nozzle Mod

Positions for the MI Defender:
Pray that your primary weapon, your sidearm, and your first backup don't run out of water!

Edited By Duxburian on 1149390516
Link to the primary Super Soaker Max-Infusion Defender discussion thread
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:46 pm

Ok, compared to the XP 270, 110, and 105 how is it?
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:56 pm

The XP 270 beats the Defender almost hands-down. The 270 is actually better than most think it is, in terms of holding its ground against large CPS guns. The Defender is better than the 110 and 105, but doesn't have all that much shot time.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Speedbeetle06

Post by Speedbeetle06 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:15 pm

When fully pressurized, is the stream more powerful than an xp 110 though?

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:10 am

Barely. It's a 1x, comes out slow, lacks any sort of power. Then again, I am not exactly used to small arms, so most small arms streams tend to lack power when I shoot them! :laugh:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:56 am

Speedbeetle06 wrote:When fully pressurized, is the stream more powerful than an xp 110 though?
Based on measurements taken @ iSoaker.com, the XP110 still pushes a harder stream than the Defender. Haven't had a chance to do range measurements on the Defender yet, though.

See: Defender VS XP110

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:53 pm

Silly me, forgot to ask.

@ Duxburian: May I repost this review on iSoaker.com?

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

HeadMan

Post by HeadMan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:27 pm

Ok I got one of these and I was all excited cause everyone said it was good. They LIE. this gun is really bad you might as well poke a hole in the top of a water bottle and and use that it will go farther. Do yourself a favor and dont buy this.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:42 pm

Duxburian wrote:The XP 270 beats the Defender almost hands-down. The 270 is actually better than most think it is, in terms of holding its ground against large CPS guns. The Defender is better than the 110 and 105, but doesn't have all that much shot time.

I am curious, in what way is the defender better tha the XP110 and XP105?

I got a XP 105, and the streams apears to be almost a 2X with a range of 35 feet. I would be suprised if the XP110 would not even beat my XP105 stats.

Edited By ZOCCOZ on 1149385404

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:43 pm

Yes, the review can be reposted.

Paper stats are not as important to me as battle stats. There is a huge difference. Now that I think about it, the Defender, XP 110, and XP 105 are the same. I say that with different reasoning than everyone else in soaking. 1x vs 2x makes a difference on paper, but makes no difference whatsoever in battle. In the same way, 30ft range vs 35ft range is an advantage on paper, but has no meaning in actual combat. Small differences like these don't matter in tactical theory either. Everything I do is based on battle-logic/tactical theory, comparison of stats side by side on paper is not my thing, and things do not play out in real life as they should on paper.

In fact, 4x vs 8x makes little difference, 30ft vs 40 ft makes little difference, etc. These are observations, which came out especially strong in our most recent war. Only larger differences, like 7x vs 20x and 30ft vs 50ft have any true impact. Small differences result in deadlock/stalemate. Armed with this observation, new revelations can occur, and new answers to old problems rise out of the dust. The XP 310 emerges as the best gun with which to take on a CPS. In the new conditions, an XP 310 user will stand up to a CPS 2500, whereas one could barely do it before.

Water warfare is evolving fast, it is amazing to me that simple, local battles here in Ridgewood can change the way water wars are fought around the world. We've come to the point where paper stats don't matter nearly as much as they used to. An important advance in a long list of advances we've made. We've changed the way snipers, commanders, and scouts fight. We've added practical artillery to the field, we're adding melee weapons, we're even adding practical homemades.

So, after going off on that weird tangent, I will say with stone hard confidence that a Defender, XP 110, and XP 105 will perform equally in battle, given equal user skill and level of gameplay. The small differences in stats won't make a difference. I would run the scenario out on film if I could, but the RM doesn't use stock small arms. And our 3-0 record so far this year justifies this.

This post brought to you by Polaris-Fading Darkness :laugh:

Edited By Duxburian on 1149390015

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:58 pm

My question, does the defender's stream sting like the XP110/XP 150/etc.? That is the main reason why I use my XP 110. If the defender's stream is more painful I might consider getting one.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:03 pm

I don't consider any stock gun stream to sting except at point blank range. Also, I am not good at judging the speed and kick of stock small arms...I don't exactly use them often...they all feel the same.

Either way, I would save your money if I were you. There are a lot of better guns, probably over 100 if I made a list off the top of my head.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:36 am

Duxburian wrote:Yes, the review can be reposted.

Paper stats are not as important to me as battle stats. There is a huge difference. Now that I think about it, the Defender, XP 110, and XP 105 are the same. I say that with different reasoning than everyone else in soaking. 1x vs 2x makes a difference on paper, but makes no difference whatsoever in battle. In the same way, 30ft range vs 35ft range is an advantage on paper, but has no meaning in actual combat. Small differences like these don't matter in tactical theory either. Everything I do is based on battle-logic/tactical theory, comparison of stats side by side on paper is not my thing, and things do not play out in real life as they should on paper.

In fact, 4x vs 8x makes little difference, 30ft vs 40 ft makes little difference, etc. These are observations, which came out especially strong in our most recent war. Only larger differences, like 7x vs 20x and 30ft vs 50ft have any true impact. Small differences result in deadlock/stalemate. Armed with this observation, new revelations can occur, and new answers to old problems rise out of the dust. The XP 310 emerges as the best gun with which to take on a CPS. In the new conditions, an XP 310 user will stand up to a CPS 2500, whereas one could barely do it before.

Water warfare is evolving fast, it is amazing to me that simple, local battles here in Ridgewood can change the way water wars are fought around the world. We've come to the point where paper stats don't matter nearly as much as they used to. An important advance in a long list of advances we've made. We've changed the way snipers, commanders, and scouts fight. We've added practical artillery to the field, we're adding melee weapons, we're even adding practical homemades.

So, after going off on that weird tangent, I will say with stone hard confidence that a Defender, XP 110, and XP 105 will perform equally in battle, given equal user skill and level of gameplay. The small differences in stats won't make a difference. I would run the scenario out on film if I could, but the RM doesn't use stock small arms. And our 3-0 record so far this year justifies this.

This post brought to you by Polaris-Fading Darkness :laugh:

I agree that soakers with similar stats of 2-5x of difference or 5 feet of difference would not make a huge gap between them. However, sometimes small things add up and make a difference in the bigger picture. The longer pressure in the XP100+ models would for many others make a huge difference depending how they fight.

Also what might apply to your local Ridgewood, does not always apply to the rest of the world. Not everyone fights the same or has identical fighting styles and skills. Especialy when it comes to bio-mechanical skills, which for most are influeneced by socio-economic environments and cultural customs.(People bio-mechanicaly move and shift different when they grew up with soccer instead of basketball or hockey.) I can back that up with experience inside and outside the soaker world.

I might also have an explaination why in your soaker battles people are evenly matched with different soakers. If I am not mistaken from past threads, the people you fight with and against have become very aquainted with each other. Which means that most individuals in those battles adapted to each other in their methods. Everyone knows somewhat their weeknesses and strengths. But I believe that would be different if your team would play a group in Luxemburg or South Afrika where they have aquired their own methods of playing. Environments affect people's styles.

Edited By ZOCCOZ on 1149404371

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:27 am

in my experiance with the defenderi agree with everyone. it's underpowered and weak but at the same time the case is just awsome. i can easily hold and fire it with one hand and still have enough room to double weild another light soaker, in fact I have. earlier in the year i was able to use it with a strapped FF and the ability to hold the defender with 2 fingers (you'll have to hold it to understand how you can do this with your thumb and index finger) and pump the FF at the same time. it was pretty sweet, only i was outranged by blazers and ended up getting thrown in a lake (thats a story for later). but point being, the grip is well designed and very useable in a verity of situations, if only the soaker itself could live up to it's own expectations.
more reliable then a max-D trigger

PanamaDrummer911

Post by PanamaDrummer911 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:46 pm

Crap.. I wanna do a CVF to mine, but I don't know WHERE to cut :(

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:19 pm

Duxburian wrote:Or something to keep in your backpack for I don't know what.
An extra water holder? A gun you give to n00bs because you don't care if they break it? A wacking-thingie? Yes, this gun has many uses indeed.
:flashflood: :soaked:

hehe...
You don't want supersoaker as your enemy!