Recommendations - Need Help for Selecting Right Water Gun

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
dlisted

Post by dlisted » Fri May 06, 2005 10:12 pm

Hep

Taking my 8 year old son on a Huck Finn type all day rafting adventure with a youth group. Teams float down Colorado river on wooden rafts and have water cannon fights with other teams floating down river.

Need to get the absolute best water cannon--distance, ease of use and quick fill are important. Recommendations/thoughts are greatly appreciated.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Fri May 06, 2005 11:27 pm

For this type of thing, perhaps the Flash Flood would do well. I would otherwise suggest the Aquapack Devastator, which is somewhat more powerful in general and has a backpack to store water, but obviously it won't be a trouble getting to a water source (you are on a river after all) and the Flash Flood is somewhat simpler. Also, assuming you are directly from the river, it might be tricky to refill the Aquapack Devastator because of its odd quick fill hose.

Although there are older, much more powerful guns out there than the Flash Flood and Aquapack, they are generally difficult and expensive to aquire, and might be somewhat difficult for an eight year old to use. Of such older guns, your best bet would be the CPS 2100, which can sometimes be found at Sports Authority or Academy Sports. It is larger than the Flash Flood, but still relatively manageable. Still, I think the Flash Flood is your best choice overall.
:blazer:
ownage

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sat May 07, 2005 1:52 am

Since you're on a river, the XP Pool Pumper Blaster!

Unfortunately, it's hard to find, so you'd be better off looking for a big CPS gun like the CPS 2500, and then modifying it to have a section of connected hose trailing in the river. :)

Edited By Spinner on 1115448751
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 07, 2005 6:58 am

The easiest thing to do in my opinion would be to take a normal water gun and modify it to have a tube to trail in the river. Would only be a matter of removing the reservoir and attaching some tubing.

If you're looking for the absolute best (and you'll hear this often from myself), try building your own water gun to the exact specifications you need. I can guarantee it will be everything you want. Links sections have good starts, though my site people consider the best.

:cool:

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sat May 07, 2005 7:37 am

Just an idea, but would it also be possible to modify the Devastator's attachment to the backpack? Just take out the hose, attach a longer piece to the end, and drag the other end in the water?

The Devastator is supposed to be a very good water gun, and this might make it work better and easier in the water.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat May 07, 2005 10:59 am

With a river as the main water source, I'd recommend leaning towards piston/large syringe-type soakers as you can just fill over the side of the raft. However, if you need to consider the capabilities of an 8-year-old, a water blaster than can be pressurized to blast as opposed to just relying on raw strength may be easier to get better performance from.

Water battles while moving at a decent speed also mean blasters with smaller streams will have a tougher time hitting their mark. Based on soakers available in 2005, I'd recommend blasters like the Aquapack Devastator or the Water Warriors Blazer set on a larger nozzle setting to get the best range with decent power. The Flash Flood is a good soaker, but its more limited range may prove to be a problem depending on distances the streams need to cover between rafts. Range becomes even more important if you happen to be in the chasing raft as opposed to the leading one.

Piston-type soakers can also get some good range depending on the user. Need to know a little more details to be able to recommend well.

:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat May 07, 2005 11:10 am

Welcome to the forums! We hope you enjoy your stay.

Piston guns would be great, since you're filling out of the river, but since you've got an 8 year old, I'm going to parrot Isoaker's advice and recommend the Blazer. Easy to handle and it'll get good range for the amount of muscle put into pumping. I'll also recommend a syringe type water-purification system for filling right out of the river. I don't think river-water would be particularly kind to soaker internals.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Sat May 07, 2005 12:34 pm

I'd have to go with a Blazer too, even though I don't have one but want one from what I have heard it is all positive.

:blazer:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat May 07, 2005 2:08 pm

^ As Adrian noted (and as I wanted to say,but forgot to type), one needs to ensure debris-free water before loading up a soaker both to protect the soaker and to prevent unintentional injury or anyone shot by the stream.

:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sat May 07, 2005 7:53 pm

Assuming (as others have) that the realm of large, hard to find, and expensive soakers can be delved into, then I would change my answer and say the CPS 3200. It already has tubing, so no modding is neccesary to ensure an unlimited supply of water, and it is very powerful and has a large CPS chamber.

I would not, however, reccomend the Blazer. Though it is alright, the power is rather minimal, and it requires a lot of pumping to gain sufficient pressure.
ownage

dlisted

Post by dlisted » Sun May 08, 2005 12:25 pm

Thanks for all of your replies.

Couple of additional facts--not worried on debris in water--portion of Colorado is south of Parker, Arizona and dams--water flow is dependant upon how much water is being released.

Second, we will have standard super soakers that the kids will be able to dip into river and suck out water quickly. I am looking for something for dad. Last year when I did this I got killed by other dads with powerful water cannons.

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Sun May 08, 2005 1:33 pm

What powerful water cannons did they have? If you knew which ones they were we could help you find one that is more powerful than there's.

:bm2700:

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon May 09, 2005 3:10 am

In that case, you either need a Stream Machine or a CPS gun such as the 2000, 2500, 1500, and so on. That should outpower most opposition. :D
SSCentral Forums - K modded forums.

ISS: Soaker Sagas - histories of soaking personnel and water blasters. Post your own today!

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Mon May 09, 2005 5:48 am

Ah the Stream Machine guns from what I have seen look ok. The is a double barrelled one I have seen that shoots good. :cool:

But if again, if you really want power go with what Spinner said and go for ones like the CPS 1500/1700, 2000, 2500.etc. :cps2500:

Edited By Wild Boys on 1115635776

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Mon May 09, 2005 2:20 pm

From what he just said, I'm thinking that a 21k would do well. I just finished mine and it is awesome. I'd like to see the others produce something better than that.

Of course, a collosussed CPS 3200 would also be nice...
ownage

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Mon May 09, 2005 2:25 pm

King_Soaker from SSCentral is selling modded CPS 2100's on eBay now at the moment. But I don't know if you use eBay dlisted? :oo:

JJJJJJ272

Post by JJJJJJ272 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:17 am

monster xl for you, i don't think most other people will want to go anywhere near you, although they are expensive and rare. if you don't want to look a lot and spend lots of money, get a cps cannon. you'll still have to look a lot but not spend as much money... otherwise you're out of luck because the other dads most likely had cps cannons.
for your son, i'd reccomend any 2004 or 2005 model. although they are not the best, some are pretty good like triple aggresor. the cps models would be better, but harder to find. since he's only 8, a cps cannon might be too big and heavy, but it might not be. if you get a 2004/2005, get a bigger model (i reccomend flash flood or triple agressor)

Edited By JJJJJJ272 on 1119095352
:bm1000: :bm2700: :cps3000: :bmhelix: :blazer:
:flashflood: :cps2500: :soakthemall: :surprise:

aphemushroom

Post by aphemushroom » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:31 pm

Like most people are saying, older CPS guns are great if you can afford the money for them. If not, then the 2005 guns will always work fine.
Just be a mushroom. Not a duck, not a chicken, not anything. Just a mushroom. You are still reading this right?