>>>Petition to Hasbro to bring back the CPS line<< - petition

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
rinkydinkysplat

Post by rinkydinkysplat » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:52 am

petition
here it is... please sign

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:02 am

Welcome to the forums!

In the future, please avoid using ALL CAPS in titles. The only ALL CAPS title for a thread was an April Fools joke. Also, please post something containing the same info only once in once forum. Posting the same topic in multiple forums is considered spam and unwanted here.

That said, while I understand your desire and basis for setting up the petition, I don't believe it is quite valid nor necessarily the way to go.

If the CPS series is revived, not only will there be a great profit from them

This statement made in the petition is very presumptuous. Thing is, Hasbro knows its profit numbers from the blaster sales it makes. Unless you also have their sales and profit information, saying anything regarding numbers is not based on fact and purely speculative. As Hasbro is a company, if it were true that CPS soakers always yielded them great profits, the CPS-line would never have been put on the back-burner in the first place. Using individual ebay items as support for the fact that CPS blasters can sell is also invalid. You cannot use limited or rare sales as an indicator for how the market as a whole will react. From what I do know from talking with company reps (both Hasbro and Buzz Bee Toys), I've been made well aware that blasters below the $20USD mark give better profit margins than more expensive ones. Larger cannons, while they may sell some, just are not as profitable to them just yet. Hopefully with the re-emergence of CPS in the 2005 Super Soaker line, we shall see developments in CPS-tech in years to come, but it all depends on how well these new CPS-soakers sell compared to the rest of the line and compared to other competitor lines. They (Hasbro) needs to see how well the new soakers sell before they will decide whether or not to pursue making larger ones again in the future.

I'd like to see large cannons appear again, but I feel this petition isn't quite right.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

hunter

Post by hunter » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:20 pm

yay! someone's finally doing sometihng about the weak gn problem!!!!! BTW if you wanted more sigs you should probably post it on SSC.
Stealth over speed. Accuracy over firepower. Coordination over chaos.

Only the arrogant claim they do not make mistakes in combat, hence they never learn.

"I have the two greatest weapons: time and patience."

Hyperion330

Post by Hyperion330 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:05 pm

I signed, but there is a strange odd feeling that plagues me. I agree with Isoaker, something doesn't seem totally right. Not sure what though... I tried to make a valid comment, better than rawr's, anyway.
I can kill you with my brain.

If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back!

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:24 pm

Hello! THis is my first post here:)

Anyway, back on topic. This petition is a good idea, however, it is somewhat doubtful if it will be succesful. My dad is a lawyer, for a coal mining union, actually, so he knows about this kind of stuff. Habro knows that very little of their profits come from the more mature water warriors, and therefore they don't really care about us that much :( The anwser seems to be what Hasbro has been doing for the last couple of years: rerelease limited amounts of old CPS soakers. That seems like the most likely thing that you could get Hasbro to do, although with their recent release of the new CPS guns, they might still be somewhat discinclined to do so.

Also, your paragraph could use a little work :p As Isoaker said, it is somewhat presumptuous, but that aside, it could be written better. The standard formula for a pursuasive paper (for students, that is) is as follows:

Paragraph 1: Introduction
Paragraph 2-4: 1 reason why, at least two examples
Paragraph 5: Conclusion, call to action

This formula is designed to create a good persuasive argument. It helps to organize your argument, and ensures that the writer actually does have a valid argument as well.

Anyway, I think that this is a good idea, it just needs a little work. Perhaps you could have a thread refining the petition, or something like that. It would be very nice to see more high-powered soakers again!
ownage

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:14 pm

hunter wrote:yay! someone's finally doing sometihng about the weak gn problem!!!!! BTW if you wanted more sigs you should probably post it on SSC.

He asked the staff to post it in the news, but I declined because I don't think petitions work. He's free to post it at the forum however.

I personally think it would take less effort to start your own water gun company and make water guns how you want. Hasbro honestly isn't going to do a thing. We've seen several petitions like this one in the past.

If you want more power at the moment, go with homemades or modifications. :cool:

Welcome to the forum too, emperor_james!

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:00 pm

You really need to create a better written petition. An effective persuasive argument needs to show superior command of the English language via cleverly presenting your points and using deeper vocabulary as a tool. The argument has to be well organized with no spelling or gramatical errors. Hasbro won't take that one seriously. People can tell how old you are by how well you can write. There also cannot be major loopholes in your arguments that could lead to analyzation and rebuttal. You can't make a general, sweeping statement like:
If the CPS series is revived, not only will there be a great profit from them

-without backing that up with statistics and other factual information. Using stats is essential in a persuasive argument, especially a public petition.

but I declined because I don't think petitions work.

Petitions rarely work, just look at history. Colonial American petitions for repealing the British taxes in the 1760s and early 1770s were simply ignored. Petitions to our current government do little to nothing to influence policy decisions today. You would be better off encouraging people to email Hasbro with your grievences or buying from Water Warriors or turning to mods/homemades. The only thing that can really force change is money. We as consumers actually have the power to destroy a company or fuel one to great hights. We can even impact the rise and fall of nations. The point I'm getting at is that an "arms war" between hasbro and BBT is a real possibility, but it will never happen if we, the consumers, do not start it ourselves. By purchasing soakers from Hasbro, you are actually delaying the return of powerful ones. Buzz Bee Toys cannot compete with Hasbro unless we support them. Speak with actions, not words. Hasbro can ignore our words, but they can't ignore our $$$$$.

Edited By Duxburian on 1112570282
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:36 pm

I was just thinking, a smaller company would probably respond better to such a petition. Perhaps Buzzbee Toys? The main problem is, of course, that Hasbro has CPS pattented. However, the "hydropower" technology has just as much potential power, just not for consistency. It could even made be upgradeable, like airsoft guns... oh well. Just a thought.
ownage

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:49 pm

^ Buzz Bee Toys' owner interacts on this board. You can just give feed back directly to him here. Check out the Buzz Bee Toys thread.
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

vaporizer

Post by vaporizer » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:54 pm

emperor_james wrote:It could even made be upgradeable, like airsoft guns... oh well. Just a thought.
^Like, making a gun(just one gun) that you can buy different PCs, resirvoirs, removeable check valves, pumps, etc...

If it was cheap, good, and had good nozzle sizes, I'd buy.
My Armory:
2 MD2K
1 MD3K
1 MD5K
1 Vaporizer
1 XPsed 270 (balloons blew out, and fixed it w. a rubber band)
2 WW Glow- Blasters
1 Spider-Man soaker
1 Flash Flood
1 Triple Shot
1 Gremlin

Coming Soon
Aquapack Devastator
Liquidator

Edited by vaporizer on April 01 2005, 13:10

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:06 pm

The petition won't work. If one would take every member of isoaker.com and SSCentral, it would make up 0.0something % of water gun consumers. This is how Hasbro thinks: Lowest production costs-highest sale profits! Most people like buying cheap-ass stuff. Especialy if the cunsumers are kids and parents.

If someone wants to change some things at Hasbro, he/she can save up serveral millions and buy the majority share of Hasbro stocks. But thats sord of a waste of money if it won't make a profit.
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

hunter

Post by hunter » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:43 pm

or they could maybe buy the CPS patent

Edited By hunter on 1112751819

Only the arrogant claim they do not make mistakes in combat, hence they never learn.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:05 pm

Hasbro won't sell the patent. As posted on SSC:
we have people resort ing to saying "maybe if we don't buy any they'll bring it back" unless all of the six year all kids in the world are reading this then may I say FAT CHANCE!

Of all the peaceful and legal means of protest, boycotts have been historically the most effective. Boycotts have forced companies out of business, governments to repeal laws, even forced entire nations into economic depression. A soakerdom-wide boycott on Hasbro would produce stronger effects than any petition could, even if thousands of people signed it. Why? Because boycotts strike at the most dear and vulnerable aspect of a company: money. There is no more vivid legal way of showing protest. Other than multi-million person street demonstrations, which we obviously cannot do. Maybe all the 6-year olds are reading this, and hopefully they are, because they need to know that only actions, not words, can force change. What would be more effective, a petition with 500,000 names, or a boycott involving half that number? The boycott, because the petition does nothing to hurt a company financially. Therefore I will not sign the petition, and defer to the laws of economics instead. A company that suddenly starts to lose money will just as quickly work to get those funds back. Soakerdom-wide boycotts would take a toll on Hasbro, slowly at first, but with coordination would pick up force as more people join it. That would force change, and since Hasbro knows we want CPS-of-1998 quality, they would have a choice. Give us back the powerful guns or continue to lose money. At the same time BBT would be strengthening. Boycotts on Hasbro would allow BBT to recieve a larger share of the market and bring in a 2nd pressure on Hasbro. Now you've got money and competition, dual weapons for change. Could a company that is both losing money rapidly and being challenged by a rival company afford to continue ignoring us? No. A well planned and executed boycott could give us back those coveted large CPS soakers. But, of course, the majority will ignore the message here and will continue to buy from Hasbro, even if they think the soakers should be better. They don't get the concept of what a class-action boycott could do, nor are willing to accept such a radical idea. IMHO, by continuing to support Hasbro with your dollars/pounds/euros/whatever, you are actually helping to directly delay the return of the great CPS soakers of the past. If you signed the petition, but also bought super soakers this year, you just negated any point of signing the petition. Actions speak louder than Words.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:52 pm

Actually I have to disagree with that. Boycots are not the most effective way for general change. According to history, and most historians will back me up with that, most if not almost every major historical change has been done byviolent revolutions and war. I'm not saying thats a good thing, but all I am saying is thats thats how it is. There is no freaken way to boycott a tank and bomber wielding goverment or boycott a major ideological socio-economical movement.

Now having said that, a boycott would work for more minor historicaly trivial areas, like minor market franchise. In other words it would be effective for the Super Soaker franchise.

There are certain market franchises that are no longer historicaly trivial as in relevant to a cultural tradition or goverment like guns, taxable dugs like cigerrets, alcohol and pharmacy products and major political sponsors like again tabaco, alcohol, firearms, oil,certain consumer companies... . Some elements won't aply to other countries.
Anyways, you can't boycott them either completly.

Again, boycotting minor trivial franchises is possible, but needs a huge mass of suport. Millions have tried boycotting clothing and jewerly companies due to the use of child work labor camps and countless violations of human rights laws. Most boycotts were unsuccessfull due to the fact that most people still buy from those compnaies. In other words, they don't care.

And I think trying to boycott Super Soaker will have the same effect. The main consumer mass does not care about CPS or pricy large soakers.

There is another issue with influenceing 6 year olds. Their opinion does not matter politicaly. Unless parents have gotten so wimpy and spineless that they get dominated by their kids. And I think that would be a more relevant problem than no CPS on the market.
I don't have kids, nor do I want some, but if I would be a parent and my 6 year old kid would want some overpriced toy, I buy him a squirt gun at the 99 cent store. If he/she complains I tell him/her to shut up if he/she still wants some desert after dinner for the next 2 months.
Thats how you deal with whiney punks. And alot of parents now start acting like I would, so some 6 year old telling their parents to use their spare time for boycotting a toy won't work.

Edited By ANNIHILATOR 2 on 1112825707
Classical Spirit: Constantly improve power, pressure and style over previous state of the art water gun models. The ideal of "power progress", a nowdays non existent concept in retail water guns since 1997.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:17 pm

ANNIHILATOR 2 wrote:Actually I have to disagree with that. Boycots are not the most effective way for general change. According to history, and most historians will back me up with that, most if not almost every major historical change has been done byviolent revolutions and war. I'm not saying thats a good thing, but all I am saying is thats thats how it is. There is no freaken way to boycott a tank and bomber wielding goverment or boycott a major ideological socio-economical movement.

Now having said that, a boycott would work for more minor historicaly trivial areas, like minor market franchise. In other words it would be effective for the Super Soaker franchise.

There are certain market franchises that are no longer historicaly trivial as in relevant to a cultural tradition or goverment like guns, taxable dugs like cigerrets, alcohol and pharmacy products and major political sponsors like again tabaco, alcohol, firearms, oil,certain consumer companies... . Some elements won't aply to other countries.
Anyways, you can't boycott them either completly.

Again, boycotting minor trivial franchises is possible, but needs a huge mass of suport. Millions have tried boycotting clothing and jewerly companies due to the use of child work labor camps and countless violations of human rights laws. Most boycotts were unsuccessfull due to the fact that most people still buy from those compnaies. In other words, they don't care.

And I think trying to boycott Super Soaker will have the same effect. The main consumer mass does not care about CPS or pricy large soakers.
According to history, and most historians will back me up with that, most if not almost every major historical change has been done byviolent revolutions and war. I'm not saying thats a good thing, but all I am saying is thats thats how it is. There is no freaken way to boycott a tank and bomber wielding goverment or boycott a major ideological socio-economical movement

So, should we assault Hasbro's HQ? lol Attack with CPS guns and they can defend with soakertag.
:bmhelix: :cps2500:
:bmhelix: :cps3000:
That would be fun. But seriously, you're right, there is little we can do to sway Hasbro's hand.
ownage

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:46 pm

They won't listen.
It won't work.
What's the point?

I haven't had a single buzz bee toys water gun break on me. I wish I could say that about super soakers, except I've got about a half a dozen sitting on the dead pile. Buzz Bee Toys soakers are less expensive, and they have technology similar to CPS.

Super Soaker will NEVER come back the way it was. Live with it.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:49 pm

Of all the peaceful and legal means of protest, boycotts have been historically the most effective.

According to history, and most historians will back me up with that, most if not almost every major historical change has been done byviolent revolutions and war.

Obviously you didn't even read my first sentence! Most of your argument was based on something I didn't say! Notice the words "peaceful and legal." Of course war and insurrection are more effective, but they are extra-legal actions. And of course a boycott on Hasbro wouldn't work because there are too many who wouldn't care. Boycotts only work with large amounts of participants, like those in the American 1763-1775 colonial period. Modern ones rarely succeed, so I doubt that good CPS guns will be made for at least another year, if that. :(

Edited By Duxburian on 1112827936

hunter

Post by hunter » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:50 pm

Duxburian wrote:Of all the peaceful and legal means of protest, boycotts have been historically the most effective.

note that he said of all the peaceful AND legal means of protest

lol we posted at the same time....and if hasbro dosen't do anything make tons of fake email addresses and demand 98 CPS

we could all send them emails saying we're members of one of the largest soaker forums and everyone here would like to see better CPS...and we all know BBT has better guns that are cheaper...and we can post that all over the place...

Edited By hunter on 1112828327

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:20 pm

As has been stated so elequently by DA (well, now A2), boycotting Hasbro ain't gonna work. Online soakerdom makes up a teeny-tiny fraction the soaker buying/using community and they know that. The best hope we have, in fact, what WILL happen eventually since this is a free market, is that some company will start an arms race with Hasbro, and the resulting guns on both sides will improve in quality. It's happening already. BBT put out diaphragm soakers 2 years in a row, and all of a sudden Hasbro brings back CPS. Coincidence? Not likely. But despite the eventual good outcome, and a few good blasters like the Devastator and FF, we all have to remember that we ARE a niche market. Not only does all of online soakerdom make up a tiny fraction of the total, but the percent that want massively powerful 98 style soakers is probably less than that. We're big enough that if someone can cater to our likes as a side benefit, they will, but they won't ever focus on JUST us, or even primarily on us. We need to get used to that.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

ANNIHILATOR 2

Post by ANNIHILATOR 2 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:11 pm

Duxburian wrote:
Of all the peaceful and legal means of protest, boycotts have been historically the most effective.

According to history, and most historians will back me up with that, most if not almost every major historical change has been done byviolent revolutions and war.

Obviously you didn't even read my first sentence! Most of your argument was based on something I didn't say! Notice the words "peaceful and legal." Of course war and insurrection are more effective, but they are extra-legal actions. And of course a boycott on Hasbro wouldn't work because there are too many who wouldn't care. Boycotts only work with large amounts of participants, like those in the American 1763-1775 colonial period. Modern ones rarely succeed, so I doubt that good CPS guns will be made for at least another year, if that. :(
I actually was refering to the
Boycotts ...governments to repeal laws, ...
part. Boycotts never really changed any major laws. At least not ones that were historicaly relevant.You can't boycott a goverment. Plus war and revolutions transend the "legal-illegal" status. When Hitler Blitzkrieged eastern europe, who wants to sue him? Yeah sure, there are certain sanctions and international Laws, but Laws only matter when everyone accepts them as valid and cooperates. Law whise, War and revolutions are in a grey zone. And thats prity much what my fisrt paragraph was focusing on. The other parahgraphs delt more with the "peacefull change" that will not work.