Testing the Piranha - ^

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
isoaker

Testing the Piranha - ^

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:44 am

I managed to find a little time to do some indoor testing of my Water Warriors: Piranha last night.

One of the first things I noticed, apart from being intrigued at watching the PC fill with water, was the noise made as air was pushed out of the PC's housing. A similar noise (but more of a sucking-type sound) is made when shooting the Piranha as air attempts to re-enter through the small hole at the top of the PC. Part of me feels concerned that the limited hole size here actually reduces the speed the diaphragm chamber can collapse since a partial vacuum would be created when firing. Anyone else have a Lightning or Piranha and notice a similar thing? I do recall hearing the noise on some CPS-class soakers (i.e. CPS1200), but not to the same degree.

That aside, the Piranha felt and behave pretty much like the Lightning that it was based on (according to Big Bee). Dimensions, weight, and output were quite similar between the two blasters.

My main complaints with both blasters are the small trigger-grip area (my hand doesn't fit well when holding the blaster) and the somewhat limited reservoir since I feel they could have put on a larger reservoir without significantly increasing the blasters' overall size.

Overall, the Piranha is a good light-class CPS-type blaster. I'm not sure that I'm partial to the little stylized piranha fishies that are engraved on the tank, but heck, the blaster performs well.

:blazer:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:57 am

I thought that those fish were pretty creepy too.. they did the same thing on the Black Widow, only with spiders. But you probably already knew that... hmm.

It is a good gun, isn't it? But I like the Pacers, so I like the Lightning better (Blue and Gold, baby!).

Almost forgot, I never experienced a problem like you mentioned in your post, iSc. My PC works fine and there aren't any particularly peculiar sounds made when operating the water gun.

Edited By Soakologist on 1090332004

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:49 am

You could do a simple mod to fix that sucking noise. I tried it on 2 of my CPS soakers as a test. You can read about it at this SSC topic.

Maybe Big Bee could make a big soaker and call it the Great White! :cool:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:20 am

Doom wrote:You could do a simple mod to fix that sucking noise. I tried it on 2 of my CPS soakers as a test. You can read about it at this SSC topic.

Maybe Big Bee could make a big soaker and call it the Great White! :cool:
Thanks for the link, but drilling the hole to increase the size (or perhaps even make a couple of holes) came to mind as soon as I noted the sound.

:cool:

cooldood31

Post by cooldood31 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:10 pm

Drilling could work, but you could also close them with epoxy, then the air wouldn't leave and come back in, it would just pressurize, making the diaphram collapse faster and adding to the power of the gun.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:14 pm

cooldood31 wrote:Drilling could work, but you could also close them with epoxy, then the air wouldn't leave and come back in, it would just pressurize, making the diaphram collapse faster and adding to the power of the gun.

That is true, too, but since I'm not sure whether the plastic encasing the PC has been properly stress-tested, I'm not sure I'd want to be the first to push its limits. As a note, when filled with water, the PC on the Piranha completely fills its casing.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:22 pm

I'd be worried if the PC didn't completely fill its casing, iSc...
Good idea on the PC casing though. Don't try anything unless you see something from Big Bee or are willing to spend another $20 (C$30) on it.
I found some WW guns on clearance at KB toys. I found a Lightning for only $15 (C$22)!

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:09 pm

I'd be worried if the PC didn't completely fill its casing, iSc...

I wouldn't... not if the rubber from the PC gave enough pull that it overcame the overpressure valve before it had expanded further. However, that is not the case thusfar so...

For those who have K-modded things, they know that they would not be able to fill their PCs before overcoming the check-valve.

USSA

Post by USSA » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:04 am

couldn't u drill with the bladder still inside? i mean its pretty small when not inflated

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:27 am

USSA wrote:couldn't u drill with the bladder still inside? i mean its pretty small when not inflated
Uh, that is what we were talking about above. No need to open anything to do the drilling. Just need to try to limit how much drill shavings enter the PC-casing and also just need to be sure not to accidentally hit the diaphragm (though it is basically flat when empty).

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:21 pm

I would still hesitate on the drilling. Like you said before, "I'm not sure whether the plastic encasing the PC has been properly stress-tested, I'm not sure I'd want to be the first to push its limits." If it were stress-tested, you could completely throw something out of balance and leave a good gun worthless. I'd ask Big Bee before doing anything. Or even email Buzz Bee Toys.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:28 pm

Uh.. enlargening the hole is quite different than sealing it. Making the hole larger wouldn't increase stress on the plastic. The only stress the plastic would feel would be during the drilling process, but if done properly, shouldn't cause any problems (of course always wear eye protection when doing things like drilling or hammering). The stress I was referring to above was due to the pressure if the hole were sealed and air compressed inside as the diaphragm was filled with water. Quite different.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:42 pm

What if you drilled the hole so large that some of the PC actually pushed its way out of its casing? Sorta like what happens when you squeeze a water balloon. Of course, the hole made would have to be over an inch in diameter if that were to work.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:00 pm

^ true, too large a hole might allow the PC to actually come through, but I believe that both Doom and myself were referring to a minor increase in size (perhaps up to 2mm diameter), not making a huge hole. If the PC could push through the hole, I'd also be worried about the PC getting cut by the plastic edge.

Big Bee

Post by Big Bee » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:08 am

There should not be any noise from the vent hole over the diaphram. First, check to be sure this is where it is coming from and it is actually causing the noise. See if the noise really isn't a valve under the diaphram where the noise is exiting the hole, not the hole creating the noise. Easiest way to check is put your finger over the hole when pumping or shooting and see if noise dissapears or is just reduced. If the noise really is coming from the hole, send it to me, I'd like to make it into a whistle! Otherwise, there is probably some molding flash at the hole which should be removed.

:soakon2:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:37 am

Otherwise, there is probably some molding flash at the hole which should be removed.

Yup, that's pretty much the cause of the noise. Just the noise of air turbulence as air is forced out or sucked through the small hole. The noise is definitely from the hole, but not a major concern. However, part of me is curious whether a slightly larger hole will allow the diaphragm to collapse quicker, thus giving more power.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:43 am

iSoaker.com Review now posted.

See WW: Piranha

I'm experimenting with how new reviews are presented on iSoaker.com. I'll also be adding in a link to the internal pics of the Piranha one of these days as well as adding in a little more info into the review.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:14 pm

I like the new reviews, but I also like the old ones. The extra views you added on the Flash vid are definitely welcome! Maybe add some rear shots though. That'd be best.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:26 pm

Rear shots? That's one angle I didn't think would be that interesting to see unless there were special parts on the back of a blaster (i.e. the XP Backfire's rear nozzle).

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:48 pm

I think it might still be interesting to see rear, bottom or top shots of a gun. Remember, when in use, you're looking at the top of the blaster. Guns like the CPS 2500/2000 and Monster/CPS 4100 kinda throw you off because they're wider (M01) or slimmer (CPS 2K) than you're expecting.