The Soaker Arms Race - ...and the winner is...

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:22 pm

Yes, Spinner, I just don't like the 2004 line.
@ Adrian: Hmmm...yes, the story. I will finish it. Eventually. I just need to reread the entire thing (I forgot all of the characters, and what's happening.)
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:27 pm

By any chance, did you read the story I wrote? You can find it in (I think) the bottom forum on the main page. It's under "Story." Check it out sometime.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

USSA

Post by USSA » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:28 pm

Hey your back... just what I happened to be thinking. Just wondering (write faster) where pray tell is that finished story of yours that I've been waiting for... twitch twitch.

Anywho back on topic: I just don't understand the point of airsoft/bbgun/paintball wars. They hurt and require shockingly little strategy. The more you pay for a gun the farther and faster that it shoots... the end. With water guns you have to choose something over something else. Everything has it's strengths (except perhaps the backfire) and everything has its weaknesses.

Just to reiterate: I am still patienlty (twitch twitch) waiting.

RAK

Post by RAK » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:15 pm

ussa: to make this short and sweet, paintballing is a lot more technical that soaking. i've had my share of that aspect of warfare and it's a lot more strategic than an ordinary soaker-fan would think. i'd know.

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:23 pm

USSA wrote:
I just don't understand the point of airsoft/bbgun/paintball wars. They hurt and require shockingly little strategy.

Raks right, they require TONS of strategy. Watch Spike TV and watch an episode or two of Paintball coverage.

The more you pay for a gun the farther and faster that it shoots... the end.

in general Yes, thats how it has always been.

With water guns you have to choose something over something else.

same thing with paintball and airsoft... Some companys guns are better than others!
_

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:27 pm

Paintball and airsoft has the added benefit of being somewhat like real combat. I think the military uses airsoft for combat training. I'd get into the sport myself if I had the money and pain tolerance.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:42 pm

USSA wrote:Hey your back... just what I happened to be thinking. Just wondering (write faster) where pray tell is that finished story of yours that I've been waiting for... twitch twitch.

Anywho back on topic: I just don't understand the point of airsoft/bbgun/paintball wars. They hurt and require shockingly little strategy. The more you pay for a gun the farther and faster that it shoots... the end. With water guns you have to choose something over something else. Everything has it's strengths (except perhaps the backfire) and everything has its weaknesses.

Not to disagree with one of my loyal readers, I have played paintball before, and I find it to require a lot more strategy than water warfare. Personally, I don't think that you can really relate the two. Like apples and oranges, they all have their pros and cons. And getting hit with a paintball doesn't really hurt unless it hits your skin.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:30 pm

What about the :cooll: Liquidator Smiley, Wet Monkey?

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:14 pm

wetmonkey442 wrote:
USSA wrote:Hey your back... just what I happened to be thinking. Just wondering (write faster) where pray tell is that finished story of yours that I've been waiting for... twitch twitch.

Not to disagree with one of my loyal readers, I have played paintball before, and I find it to require a lot more strategy than water warfare. Personally, I don't think that you can really relate the two. Like apples and oranges, they all have their pros and cons. And getting hit with a paintball doesn't really hurt unless it hits your skin.

I have always wanted to try paintball, but I did watch my cousin play down in Maryland. Paintballs will hurt bad if it hits bare skin, same with plastic BBs, they cause welts. Thats why they have protective gear for those sports. Why I choode Water Warfare? Im unique. its fun, cheaper, and the chance of injury isnt as great as in paintball and airsoft.

Edited By Iceman on 1101852996
_

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:58 pm

Soakologist wrote:What about the :cooll: Liquidator Smiley, Wet Monkey?
I guess it's in the same boat. But at leasts it's air pressure. I am not a big fan of any of the 2004 Super Soakers, as I'm sure most everyone else hates them too.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:32 am

Not being a fan of a line and hating them are two different things. I'll definitely admit that the 2004 Super Soaker line lacks the more powerful soakers (namely CPS-based soakers), but they are definitely a step above the previous EES lineup, IMHO. Besides, I actually quite like the Helix.
:bmhelix:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Wed Dec 01, 2004 3:30 pm

isoaker_com wrote:Not being a fan of a line and hating them are two different things. I'll definitely admit that the 2004 Super Soaker line lacks the more powerful soakers (namely CPS-based soakers), but they are definitely a step above the previous EES lineup, IMHO. Besides, I actually quite like the Helix.
:bmhelix:
Yuppers, that is a fairly common perspective around the forums. From a Soaker Enthusiast standpoint I am not happy with them. From an engineering standpoint, I LOVE the design of the Helix (heck it is a new concept) and TA. Other than that, I really dont need them, but they are nice to look at, especially the internals.
_

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:02 pm

I have a Tippmann 98 that I keep in case someone ever invited me to play Paintball (Hahaha, the last time someone invited someplace was in fourth grade. :( ).
I would gladly play paintball, but the price and need for ammo draws me away. Plus it does hurt. The last time I got hit was in 7th grade (I nearly cried), so I think I might have built up more tolerance. I imagine I could take much more easily it now.
I never got to paintball this last year, but my playing of Halo and Half-Life has kind of rekindled my desire to.

In terms of what Iceman said, I like the new colo(u)rs that Hasbro is using. The addition of white on the Helix is especially welcome to me.

Edited By Soakologist on 1101945890

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:25 am

The average consumer is a 5-12 year old. They are ignorant. 5-12 year olds go for the one that looks the coolest. And to a 5-12 year old, a bubbly bright colo(u)red soaker is just what he's looking for. A 5-12 year old doesn't give a crap about power or durability or any of the things we look for.

What about meeee... I'm 11...

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:16 pm

You have to take everything I say with a grain of salt. I like to make sweeping generalizations (it's a speech technique ;-D). So when I say 5-12 year olds don't give two bits about power and range and whatnot, I'm referring to the vast majority of 5-12 year olds. There are of course exceptions. .
Congratulations, I just proclaimed you an exception.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:42 pm

Knowledgeable exceptions are always a good way to teach that majority to remvoe their ignorance. A large enough movement and soakerdom might be able to infleunce the marketing of manufacturers. In fact, I feel that our discussions with Big Bee can be considered influential, even if Big Bee already had most of the ideas for his future lines.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Iceman

Post by Iceman » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:25 pm

Field Marshal Yang wrote:Knowledgeable exceptions are always a good way to teach that majority to remvoe their ignorance. A large enough movement and soakerdom might be able to infleunce the marketing of manufacturers. In fact, I feel that our discussions with Big Bee can be considered influential, even if Big Bee already had most of the ideas for his future lines.
Personally I feel Soakerdom as a whole right now could never change all the blaster coming out, however we did do some pretty cool things. A good company that makes toys or useful products will always want feedback from the users. In this case, they selected an online community of hardcore Water Warfare experts who can help them. Soakerdom should be proud. We have been recognized by a water blaster manufacturer, and we helped shape a little bit of the 2005 line by Buzz Bee Toys. I am actually going to collect most of the 2005 line from Buzz Bee/ Why? They are historical blasters, WE, Soakerdom has a say and cause in their creation. Hopefully that is what will win consumers next year to Buzz Bee Toys over Hasbro. Who knows? but I do know, Buzz Bee Toys is making good guns already, and I want them for my team next year.

The Forest Talons Blasters Line of Choice: Buzz Bee Toys, Inc. :)
_