Wording: Guns vs. Blasters - What's the big deal?!

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:49 pm

I know that this is going to sound ludicris, but why does it seem like everyone is afraid to call it a Water GUN? Everyone is calling is a water blaster or a soaker or a water toy. Why can't we all just call it what they are? WATER GUNS! By not calling it a water gun, we're, in a small way, buying into the Soccer Mom's plot to desensitize us to non-violence! A little violence is good, but I admit, too much is never good for the mind. Games like Doom or Halo just don't catch my fancy because they're too violent.

But back on topic, I think that we should start calling them Water GUNS again!

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:41 am

This topic should not have been created, it is a waste of space. Mods, please lock/delete it.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:39 am

...uhh... it's not a major issue.. some prefer to call 'em guns.. some prefer to call 'em blasters. Some call cars "automobiles"...

I actually prefer the term blaster not so much to avoid the word 'gun', but rather that the behaviour of the modern soaker is much different than that of a true gun. Thus, I prefer to distinguish them, but others like calling 'em water guns which is fine, too.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Storm

Post by Storm » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:37 am

I always call them water guns. Just habit, always did and probably always will.

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:07 pm

Soakologist wrote:By not calling it a water gun, we're, in a small way, buying into the Soccer Mom's plot to desensitize us to non-violence!

Yeah Cloud, soccer moms are going to rule the world. :goofy:
But anyway, that sounds really paranoid. I know some soccer moms around where I live that don't like star wars because of it's violence, and what are the weapons called in that? That's right, Blasters. :D
It really doesn't matter what they're called.

Edited By Space_Cowboy on 1090004901
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:07 pm

I use the terms interchangeably. If I use "soaker" more than gun, it's not out of fear (Me? Afraid of guns or political incorrectness?) of the term, but because I prefer (slightly) to reserve the word gun for the more lethal variety. However, I use them both about as much.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:25 pm

I call almost all water guns, blasters, etc soakers simply because the brand Super Soaker is so dominating and has had a much longer history than its competitors. It's sort of like how everyone calls cough medicine Tylenol.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:49 pm

I think that this post is proving more interesting than I expected. Continue talking, please!

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:58 pm

Now that I'm thinking, there's never been a high quality generic soaker. All the generic soakers aren't even good enough to be compared to Super Soakers; they're squirt guns. In the case of cereal, generic versions are the same as brand names, but not with soakers. I think it's sort of like how there are only brand name cars.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:11 pm

I tend to use the terms "Blaster" and "Soaker". The reason I don't call them "Water Guns" is because to me it makes them sound cheap and sub-par performance wise, much like the term "Water Pistol" that is used way too often does. If I heard some kid say to me, "I've got a water gun!" Then I'd be imagining something that's extremely cheaply made, and the stream only goes about 2 metres and it's a 0.5x stream. It also sounds pretty stupid when people call my Monster XL a water pistol. It's because of the fact that the terms Soaker and Blaster make them sound more high performance that I prefer to use them over the others like Warer Gun And Pistol.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:14 pm

If you're talking about ebay.de, Pistole is the German word for gun, so it's not exactly the same.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:32 pm

^ I don't think he's referring to ebay.de. Prior to the marketing of the Super Soaker, I recall playing with water guns and water pistols with those terms being used interchangeably for the smaller squirters. The motorize water guns like the Water Hawk had designs based on real guns, thus were aptly referred to as water guns. With the release of the Super Soaker and things taking on a more bulbous, thus less gun-like look, the term water gun just seems no longer as descriptive.

When I look at things like the CPS1000 or a Max-D6000, I don't think 'gun'; I think 'soaker' or 'blaster'.

:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:38 pm

Funny. When I look at any "soaker," I think "Water Gun." I guess it might just be the way we're raised.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Sat Jul 17, 2004 2:41 am

I don't know if it's the same everywhere, but around here just about EVERYONE (With the exception of me, and maybe a couple of friends) refers to all soakers as "Water Pistols" no matter whether they're XP 15 sized or Monster XL sized. I find this strange. In fact in the Guiness Book of Records they called the Monster XL the "Largest Water Pistol" which shows how often the term is used. AHH! I just can't escape it!

Big Bee

Post by Big Bee » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:28 am

Please allow me to add a little insight here. The reasons from the manufacturing/retailing sides are quite simple. There is no single reason.

First, the term blaster is used in defining performance to differentiate between the Air Pressure/Bladder/Diafram performance streams and the "squirt gun" streams.

Second, it is also used to define the difference between "guns" and "guns" many states have laws banning toy look-alike firearms. In this industry, when we refer to a "gun" it is usually a look-alike firearm, it helps the buyers distinguish whether or not they need to be concerned. They are always concerned anyway, but it helps.

Third, there is a "political correctness" about not using the word "gun" soccer moms do not rule the world, but they generally control the wallets. We need to be sensitive to that issue also.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:12 pm

Blaster could be considered gun, so later on it will end up as "Water Propellant Device"

Shadowstrike Prime

Post by Shadowstrike Prime » Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:09 pm

When I was younger, I used to refer to them as water guns, but I just call them blasters now. I don't like calling them all soakers personally, just doesn't feel right anymore.
"...Yes."

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:50 pm

I just think that calling them "soakers" or "blasters" makes it sound like I'm a geek. Which I am, but still...

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:19 pm

Hmm, I still call them guns.

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:14 pm

Soakologist wrote:If you're talking about ebay.de, Pistole is the German word for gun, so it's not exactly the same.
Pistole means pistol, Gewehr means gun/rifle, and Kannon is cannon.

I've seen them all used on german sites (Wasserkannon/watercannon, etc...).
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...