CPS 2000 - using it?

Discussions of all varieties of stock water guns and water blasters.
Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:59 pm

I'm about to get a CPS 2000 ( :cps2000: yey!) an I've heard a lot of things about the pc ripping or somthing else happening after use. So I'm wondering, is it safe (for the 2000) to use it a lot? Or at all?

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:06 pm

It's definitely safe to use it (unless your face is on the recieving end), but a broken soaker is no fun. I honestly don't know how long a CPS-2000 can withstand heavy use however.
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:38 pm

Did you get it on ebay? Because I heard someone "asked their parents" for one, was that you? If so, I'm sorry to say you won't likely get one.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:54 am

I've heard a lot of things about the pc ripping or somthing else happening after use.

I am wondering... like the stuff about the 05 soakers, where are you hearing this stuff? Obviously not here or SSCentral. The only person I remember who said anything like that was TPM.

I haven't heard any bad things about using a CPS 2000. Just use it if you have one, I personally wouldn't buy one, but that's just me.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:00 am

I recommend that if you can get your hands on one, keep it as a collectable indoors and if you want to experience its power, only test it; don't use it in battles. Otherwise if you can get your hands on it I think that you should pat yourself on the back for simply acheiveing ownership.
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:07 am

@Veteran: Actulally, that was me, but I showed my parents my 2500, said the 2000 wasn't much stronger (it's Mk2), and they allowed me to have the gun.

@Doom: I heard somthing about that happening here, and I herd somthind about the pc ripping somwhere else. And I bought the 2000 because I am a colector, but like Soakologist, I use them a lot (unlike isoaker).

@Field Marshal Yang: I wouldn't ever use the 2000 for battle. I really perfer guns with longer shot times, and 2 seconds isn't enough. I'm proably going to end up using it once a week, to test it, and that's all.

Edited By Drewsky92 on 1093608857

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:16 am

So did you buy your CPS 2000 from ebay or another source? Also, what was the final price that you had to pay up for?

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:35 am

I use them a lot (unlike isoaker).

Don't underestimate the use I put on my soakers. While the majority of my collection isn't used (I only have two hands), I do have a set of soakers out for water war purposes that get a good amount of use. Perhaps not daily, but they ain't gatherin' dust either! :goofy:

As for the PC, thing is, no one really knows how long the average CPS PC is going to last. There have been cases (though rare) of CPS chambers ripping or bursting. A more common problem, though, appears to be trigger jamming/locking issues over PC problems.

However, what I've found... even if a soaker is used a lot, if it is kept well maintained, it will last through even harsher conditions. It is more likely neglected soakers (i.e. later left in internals, PCs left pressurized over days/weeks, etc.) that have more problems. Of course, some models have known specific problems (i.e. some Max-Ds have trigger-valve issues and models of the CPS4100 are known to have weaker triggers), but overall, they hold up well considering they are classified as toys.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:44 am

My (well, I own half of it) 2000 seems to be holding up well, and I got it on ebay. It came sunbleached and with a broken pump. Fixed the pump, but it broke again, and now the trigger valve is a little problematic. Nothing I can't fix though.

From what I've heard, p/cs don't burst much. I think I've only heard of it happening in 2 cases...both with TPM. Besides fixing the p/cs(impossible I believe) repairs should be easy.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:54 pm

Drewsky92 wrote:@Veteran: Actulally, that was me, but I showed my parents my 2500, said the 2000 wasn't much stronger (it's Mk2), and they allowed me to have the gun.
I know, but were they able to locate one and were they willing to pay the price? Mk2's can get rather pricey also.

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:05 pm

Adrian wrote:My (well, I own half of it) 2000 seems to be holding up well, and I got it on ebay. It came sunbleached and with a broken pump. Fixed the pump, but it broke again, and now the trigger valve is a little problematic. Nothing I can't fix though.
Elaborate on the trigger valve problem. I fixed the trigger valve on my CPS-4100 with a rubber band.
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:19 pm

The occasionally when you pump the gun, you just pump water out the nozzle. After jerking the trigger a couple of times it goes back to normal. I took the gun apart, and everything looks normal. The trigger rod (the one going into the valve) doesn't stay extended when you pull the trigger, which is kind of odd.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:54 pm

Common problem. The repair has been on SSCentral for ages, as well as a few other sites. I need to add a few more pics to the SSCentral guide and write some more, but here's a few sites:

http://www.sscentral.net/tech/repairs/otvr.php
http://www.geocities.com/dryhumper70/Mods.html
http://www.blisstonia.com/soakers/repairguide.php3

As for the PC, thing is, no one really knows how long the average CPS PC is going to last. There have been cases (though rare) of CPS chambers ripping or bursting.

In my experience with homemade CPS chambers, they will only burst under 3 conditions:

1. Overpressurization. The CPS chamber is more than full. It can not stretch any further, and the only way for water the be pumped in is for the weakest part to break, here being the CPS chamber.

2. Damage. The CPS chamber has visible damage, likely from something scratching the chamber. When the rubber is stretched, so is the small tears. These tears enlarge over time, and eventually a burst occurs.

3. Too much resistance. This was visible in my CPS homemade. Due to my lack of LRT (Latex Rubber Tubing) at the time of it's creation, I used some old larger tubing to Collosus the smaller, internal chamber. I had made big 3 inch slits of it. A technique like that only works with multiple layers like that, they will separate with one. I held it together with electrical tape, which did stretch, but not as much as it should have. Eventually in a battle (a very long one too), after pumping the PC more than I recommened, a friend burst the CPS chamber. Luckily, I planned ahead for this, no one was hurt because the entier chamber inside of some 4" PVC with an endcap.

I also have seen this in a Water Worm. My younger brother wanted it to be attached to his arm, so he duct taped it on. The duct tape must have made it too hard to pressurize, and the chamber burst. I have taken pictures from the salvage of what was left of the CPS chamber, and the Water Worm did live another day (but later broke beyond repair).

Drewsky92

Post by Drewsky92 » Fri Aug 27, 2004 6:23 pm

Damn, I lost the bid at the last second. The guy proably had a sniper on or something. Well, I guess I'll have to wait untill another time. :(

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:43 am

Drewsky92 wrote:Damn, I lost the bid at the last second. The guy proably had a sniper on or something. Well, I guess I'll have to wait untill another time. :(
People repeatedely bidding in the last few mintues is very common. My theoretical method of keeping this from happening is to put on a very high maximum bid on early in the auction. For example, place a $200 bid for a $20 current item. Ebay only increases the current price by a certain amount set by the seller and your maximum bid is hidden from the other bidders. Whenever another bidder bids, ebay automatically bids on your behalf until the price goes voer your maximum bid. With a very high maximum bid you can annoy the other bidders enough to have them give up but this method can backfire if you end up with a very high final price.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:01 pm

My theoretical method of keeping this from happening is to put on a very high maximum bid on early in the auction. For example, place a $200 bid for a $20 current item. Ebay only increases the current price by a certain amount set by the seller and your maximum bid is hidden from the other bidders. Whenever another bidder bids, ebay automatically bids on your behalf until the price goes voer your maximum bid. With a very high maximum bid you can annoy the other bidders enough to have them give up but this method can backfire if you end up with a very high final price.

I would not set a high maximum early, because like Yang said, you most likely will eat it. I once was bidding on a 2500 and the high bidder had some ridiculous max bid, so I didn't give up until I had driven the price up by $72. I still lost, but that guy paid for his huge max bid.:p I would snipe it with a minute left, and then set a high max bid. Time would run out before other bidders could match it. That way, there is a much lower chance of having the price driven up because there is almost no time for others to try.

<EDIT> Isoaker double posted :goofy:

Edited By Duxburian on 1093809209
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:18 pm

I would snipe it with a minute left, and then set a high max bid. Time would run out before other bidders could match it. That way, there is a much lower chance of having the price driven up because there is almost no time for others to try.

That works only if others haven't already set a higher bid. Basically, when I do bidding, I consider how much I'd maximally want to pay, then attempt to snipe the soaker in the last few minutes with my maximum bid. I wouldn't ever recommend going higher than what you'd want to pay since you just might end up having to pay it.
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

Triforce Elite

Post by Triforce Elite » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:51 pm

hopefully if you had won it you would be able to fix it if it was broken. :soakthemall: :bm1000:
you know those really annoying people? don't you just feel like soaking them?:cps1500:

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:03 pm

Even if it was broken, you should've kept it was a collectable because of the sheer rarity of a 2000, regardless of its operating ability. Anyway, if you want something similar try looking for some 2500s because they're more common on ebay than 2000s.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:25 pm

You could then gut the 2500 and transplant its internals them into the 2000, then sell the 2000 with 2500 innards on eBay for three times as much as they're worth because it's in a different case.

But that's immoral. Don't listen to me. :goofy:

Edited By Soakologist on 1095477941