365 Days of Soaking: A Visual Project

Water warfare-related pictures, videos, comics, humour, trivia, fun findings, etc.
isoaker

365 Days of Soaking: A Visual Project

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:59 pm

Today is the day I've decided to officially announce the 365 Days of Soaking: A Visual Project.

My goal for this project is to take or capture at least one image each day regarding things I do which relates to water blasters or water warfare. While every day has something water blaster-related going on for me, I've never attempted to keep a record of it and some things are becoming rather surprising as I do about trying to ensure I take one image of something I do each day related to this activity. Some images will be real pictures while others may end up being screen captures since a lot of what I do related to water warfare is virtual. Coming up and taking pictures, then figuring out what may be interesting for others is definitely a challenge. I also know I won't be able to post updates every day, but I do plan to continuing to capture at least one new picture per day and upload images when time permits.

I hope others will enjoy this little project. We're now at day 14/365. Only 351 more days to go before it's 2015! :goofy:

Once this is done, it won't simply be "a day in the life", but rather be a glimpse of "a year in the life" of iSoaker.com.

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Re: 365 Days of Soaking: A Visual Project

Post by SEAL » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Gotta say, this is really cool. Looks like fun too. However for some reason the 7th and 8th images won't show up when I click on them.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:55 pm

@SEAL: Thanks! and you're right - 7 and 8 are not loading properly. Will try to fix soon.

Update: fixed -- silly capitalization error :goofy:

Black Six

Post by Black Six » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:55 pm

You should totally make an RSS feed for this so I don't forget to check back each day, lol.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long."
-Anonymous
-=+Maximum Soakage+=-

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Black Six wrote:You should totally make an RSS feed for this so I don't forget to check back each day, lol.
Hah - thanks! :goofy: However, looking at setting up a simple RSS feed isn't so simple. If I find a good solution, I'll reconsider it, but unfortunately for the moment, all the solutions I have found would increase the amount of effort in making updates more than I can happily handle on a continuing basis. None of the solutions are particularly difficult, but just add one more layer of complexity and require on-going management for which I just cannot spare the time for.

I'll definitely bump this thread from time to time (I'm thinking once a month), but not too often since I don't want to be spamming our own board. :goofy:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:44 am

One month complete - 11 more months to go! :goofy:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu May 01, 2014 8:31 am

May 1, 2014 - Day 121 - almost 1/3rd the way through 2014, thus am 1/3rd the way through this little project o' mine. I'll admit, I've almost forgotten (but not quite yet) to capture an image on a couple of days, having been so busy with other parts of life. That isn't to say that I've actually ever gone a day without having water blasters and water warfare affect me in some way, but it's the process of wanting to capture an image which still is not habit for me. You'd think that after 121 days, I'd be more accustomed to things.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:48 am

I can't believe it's already June. More than that, I also really never paid attention to what actual number a particular day-of-the-year was until I began this project. Perhaps others were already aware, but I had always thought that June 30th was mid-year, being the end of the sixth month. Of course, when you consider that February only has 28 days, actual mid-year falls between July 1 and July 2 (days 182 and 183 to be specific). Not a huge difference, but still something I never realized before.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:21 pm

Not sure if I could really run something like this. A lot of projects stagnate or get repetitive. It looks difficult to get interesting material during the downtime, at least when not reusing previous content.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:56 am

CA99 wrote:Not sure if I could really run something like this. A lot of projects stagnate or get repetitive. It looks difficult to get interesting material during the downtime, at least when not reusing previous content.
I'm running it and I am still not sure how it'll end up playing out. Stagnation isn't good, but repetition isn't necessarily a bad thing. For example, if one set aside 15-30 minutes a day to do some video editing from a community water war video and take a screen grab, each individual day isn't too exciting, but the eventual summary of how the video evolved over time becomes more interesting. However, I'll also admit trying to figure out what to post every day is a challenge. Then again, some days are also surprising. If every day were super exciting, I think I'd be overly exhausted by now! :goofy:

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:35 am

We've now passed the 50% way for 2014 and my 365 Days of Soaking project is now just over 50% complete (at least in terms of days gone by). Put in another way, we are now closer to 2015 than to 2013... time flies. I need to have more water wars before the summer is through; heck, I need to have *A* water war before the summer is through, but free time and other responsibilities have been making it tough for me.

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:24 pm

The "few minutes a day" routine doesn't seem to work that well for me. For some tasks like video editing, it's also a very inefficient use of time. Projects need time to reach peak productivity, and that can't happen in 15 minutes that it takes to open the project, analyze footage, remember what I analyzed, and make the changes in mind. I do take notes, but I'd have to record an impractical volume of information to sustain the whole days between short editing sessions.

Instead, I shift priorities about and go to different projects. Right now, it's Project Soaking Trident, of which I'm dissatisfied on the progress of.

I guess that's all it comes down to: priorities. I don't have time to develop PST, WWn, and make league videos all at the same time, so I just pick and choose. Those WWn updates I wouldn't shut up about are going to have to wait a long time before I can actually get into them, as I'm going to be pretty behind on video editing after working on PST.

Community wars, good Nerf events, and hanging out with friends once in a while can never be compromised though. Although anything's open to change in the future. (I may take a hiatus from community wars in the future in order to focus on life and relocating to somewhere where I can go to all the community wars I want, train weekly, etc.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat