Are soakfests really considered unskillful? - Starting to get a little discouraged...

Water warfare game types, ideas, rules, organization, etc.
Evangel

Post by Evangel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:13 am

In serious water wars, my group usually only play strict soakfests, cuz that's how we grew up. We might do some 1HKs or STs(SoakerTags) now and then just between us, but in our day, you couldn't really consider our fights as simple games so much as grude wars against other kids.

I mean, it's not like we'd go up to a group, ask "do you wanna play?" they say yes and we have a good time. Nah, in the wars back in our childhood days, one side had to say "we're gonna shoot you just for the hell of it." So basically that's how our games work, and it'd be hard for us to play any other way, as it's pretty much in our blood to shoot and shoot until the other guy just can't take it anymore, and we're only dead when we FEEL like we're dead. Besides, I know a lot of people who like to cheat and say they weren't shot (hell I'm sure at LEAST half of all kids up to 12 are like that).

But now I'm looking at that older poll about caliber, and it seems to imply to me that strict soakfests are strictly for noobs, and at the top of that tier, it's like soakfests don't even exist.

We'd probably do 1HKs or STs just for casual games or training exercises, cuz then we're not actually enemies. But against say, another elite soaker group, well... heh, you get the idea. Basically, I strongly prefer our wars to be as close to the old days as possible. Just feels restricting when you're fully capable physically of shooting back but not allowed to. I like it so you're just so soaked and so uncomfortable that you can hardly even keep your gun level. Way more freedom, and the only thing stopping you from doing something is your actual physical and/or mental ability to do it.

But is that really so, shall I say, "low-tier?" If so, then maybe I'm not as "elite" as I think I am... :(

EDIT: P.S. Up to now, we only use unmodified stock guns, which tells me we suck that much more, cuz we're not too handy with stuff like that. I'd try to mod my Flash Flood if I weren't afraid I might accidentally damage something beyond repair, because I haven't been getting very big paychecks lately and can't really afford repairs.

Hm... I seem to be pretty unskilled in all aspects. Maybe I should retire?

Edited By Evangel on 1173966221

DX

Post by DX » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:02 am

Ignore the older poll, both polls really. The newer reformulation of caliber, though it doesn't look like it, splits the soakfest game type into "Free For All" and "Organized Soakfest", the only difference being some form of organization, like rules and/or teams. It is entirely possible to rise to the Diehard Pro level in a soakfest game, and most tactics still apply to them. Tech is also not required in consideration of any caliber. Only experience and personal factors matter. If you see the other topic, you'll know that all articles I've written other than the most recent 7 should be ignored, as they are outdated.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:15 am

Hm, well in terms of fighting techniques and experience, I MIGHT have a decent advantage, cuz there are some special secret skills I'm learning, they say real ninja used them to give them above-normal physical performance. I also got this crazy idea for an armed RC helicopter. lmao

DX

Post by DX » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:32 am

Players in different game types, especially those with mastery of their game types, are not exactly "comparable". Different games take such different skills to excel in. You probably have a bad first impression of me because I cannot help the fact that old views have been expressed in various topics over the years. My best and most current wars ideas are not posted anywhere yet, because I re-thought everything last month. Do not get the impression that soakfest players are unskilled. There are things one can do in a soakfest that cannot be done in any other game type. What really counts is how well a player can use his/her mind, gun, and water war ideas to achieve whatever they think of as "victory" in whatever type they enjoy most.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Evangel

Post by Evangel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:41 am

Well thanks, I feel a little better now.

Taking what you said about "water war ideas," I actually wanna try that RC helicopter idea. lol

I kinda doubt it could work or if I'll even bother trying to build something like that; right now it's more like a pipe dream. But if I did actually build something like that and it did work, that would not only give my team a small edge, but it would just be TOTALLY hilarious. "Oh God it's a toy helicopter with guns!" lmao

Here's the topic I started: http://www.isoaker.com/cgi-bin....;t=2354

Edited By Evangel on 1173969970

HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by HBWW » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 am

I am also pretty much limited to soakfests, except for games with a smaller group of people, though I haven't tried any 1HK/S games yet. Since I haven't dug deep into tactics, I'm still learning how all that stuff works. Of course, I stick with team games as often as possible, but I might have to convince some people to at least try a 1HK/S game. The soakfest is really hard to get good tactics with, because most of us are past getting easily intimidated by bigger guns, and with all those heavy guns around, everyone is as wet as they just got pushed in a pool for a good deal of the fight.

What I would do (in your situation) is simply continue. Even if you're not doing teams and look like you're just running around, if it's still fun, keep it going. You don't have to be nor seem to be "elite" to enjoy anything, I suck at halo and get owned when playing with friends, and I still don't mind a good party or 2.

Agree with DX about the modding and homemades. If they don't suit your situation, forget them. I only started with them because of interest (and dad helps a lot), but if you are unable to do them, it doesn't matter. Just try to have some fun and remember, water warfare is for fun, not for deciding who's the "elite" and who's the "n00b", nor for bragging about tech nor tactics.

Edited By C-A_99 on 1173970902
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:00 am

Water warfare is all about having fun! Whether it is more organized 1HK games or soakfests, if the people participating are having a great time, that's what matters.

For me, the majority of my wars are soakfests. The majority of my soakers are unmodded stock soakaers. However, I consider myself decently skillful at handling soakers I am familiar with and can hold my own even if confronted by multiple opponents in a soakfest. In the soakfests I've been involved with, it's nearly impossible to remain completely dry, but I do find myself dishing out a LOT more water than I'm receiving. Considering my friends tend to gang up on me since they know my interest in soakers, yet I still manage to stay dryer, if that ain't skill, I don't know what is! :goofy:

Different members enjoy different types of water warfare games. Don't let terms like "elite" throw you off or make you lose interest. If you and your friends enjoy your game styles, go for it. At the same time, seeing what other people do might give you ideas on things you might want to try out one day. Of course, if other game ideas or soaker modding/building isn't your thing, there's nothing wrong with enjoying what you already do.

As always, soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

DX

Post by DX » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:42 pm

@Evangel: Just to clear up any lasting doubt, my first 6 years of water warfare involvement were exclusively organized soakfest, with tech totally unheard of. Team arrangements were highly informal, and rounds didn't end until one side was too soaked to continue. I do know what it takes to find success in a soakfest, for I had a reputation for insane agility and staying dry, so naturally I was quite a target. However, I've played 1HS for the past 3 years and prefer it for the equal mortality, which makes it possible to kill a homemade user with a pistol and the such. Overall, there is no such thing as "elite" in water warfare. It takes only one large soaking or one hit to pwn someone claiming to be a big shot. Almost every aspect of water warfare is relative and subjective, including skill.

soakerman

Post by soakerman » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:30 pm

1HK and Soakertag aren't the only other types of games that there are.

You can play soakfest style games with a little more organization (CTF for example) where you don't get 'out' permanently by being shot, but there is actually a goal, and it requires more tactics/skill.

CTF is the main gametype whenever I play, and I find it pretty fun :)

:soakon2:
ImageImage

XP20Warrior

Post by XP20Warrior » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:39 pm

Oh yeah, remember Uncle Vide & the flag? That was hilarious. It was a CTF soakfest during a family reunion. We had a few rules, but one of the important ones was that if you get hit while carrying the flag (1HK), you drop the flag.

Uncle Vide had captured the Red Team's flag and ran back to our base to score, but unfortunately, Blue Team had taken our flag. I & Sheila stayed to cover him as sure enough, Kabir came charging down the hill with the SC Triple Charge. Uncle Vide ran, but Kabir was faster. He caught up and fired.

iSoaker.com, I had never seen anyone jump that high to avoid getting hit by a water gun blast. Uncle Vide did an almost somersault and landed half on his butt and continued running. Raj then came and drenched him, making him drop the flag. Kabir was impressed, however.

Back on topic, I love soakfests. They can be organized, and I have organized them. Another variant I have done is "base assault", in which the opposite team attempts to take a given point, the home team defending it. Its mainly based after the Alamo Scenario.
"Although it is a beautiful place among the stars, danger lurks in the shadows. That's what Alliance Command's for."

-Captain Ivan Reilly
IGA Intrepid
Closing Speeches After the Xidian Wars

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:02 pm

Elite? Huh? The only two groups here that play in such an organized fashion are led by Duxburian and by Marauder4. I remember having fairly large neighborhood soakfests a couple times a year, over 5 years ago, before everybody thought they had grown out of soaking. Much more fun than the weak battles I *occasionally* have now.
Agree with DX about the modding and homemades. If they don't suit your situation, forget them. I only started with them because of interest (and dad helps a lot), but if you are unable to do them, it doesn't matter.

That's close, but the way I'd phrase it would be: "If you lack interest in homemades, it doesn't matter." Anybody with interest and determination, regardless of technical prowess, can build a homemade. I haven't heard of a single failed attempt, even if they can take some time to complete. :cool:

Technology doesn't really even matter in wars, for me anyway. I don't use homemades as well as I do commercial guns.

Edited By SilentGuy on 1173996228

Leviathan

Post by Leviathan » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:43 pm

One late thought....

As for me, the term "elite" applies to your ability to:
1.) Handle your weapon of choice fluenlty,
2.) Know how to play the chosen game,
3.) Be able to work as a team, or make yourself like a team in FFA,
4.) Know solid strategy, even if you don't use it, and
5.) Adjust to the changing battle (tactics).

My greatest battle was a totally unorganized fight-till-you're-too-drenched-to-continue between churches during Vacation Bible School. I'll post it for isoaker to archive if he wants.

Edit: Here's the story.

Edited By Leviathan on 1176005190
Heavy artillery + high ground = an easy battle.
Why else would they call me Leviathan?
"Artillery batteries, prepare to fire. XLs, dual aquastorm. Balloons, quick burst, short range. Battery commanders, FIRE AT WILL!"

bb1

Post by bb1 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:34 am

I wish I live where all of you did. Waterwars are nonexistant here...and prettymuch anything to do with waterguns... Big neighborhood and huge woods though. Shame :sleepy:

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:00 pm

I used to think there was something called "elite", but no longer do. I believe in "twice the pride and twice the fall" because I've seen it happen so many times that one could almost call it a fact. Waterbridge, the older and more experienced team, had its head in the clouds in 2005 and 2006, especially in 2006. Now that the RM is powerful, we have the bragging rights. However, when I hit the battlefield, all that smack talk fades away, for the odds on the battlefield are always 1/3 win, 1/3 tie, and 1/3 loss. The historic odds for the RM are actually 73% win, but every war has to be played as if we've got nothing to lose.