The Assault game mode - Article

Water warfare game types, ideas, rules, organization, etc.
FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sat May 27, 2006 9:20 pm

The Basics

Number of players:
6 to 12 (total)

Teams: 2 teams, each consisting of an equal (or nearly equal) number of participants.

In this variation of a CTF game, known as Assault, two teams, the Attackers and Defenders compete for the posession of a single flag.

The flag is planted in the ground in an area with good defensive cover (my spot of choice is a manhole that is surrounded by shoulder-high bushes). This location is known to both teams, and cannot change. This is also the Defenders' Base. Before the start of the game, the Defenders may position themselves anywhere in or around the location of the flag.

Before the game begins, a base must also be assigned to the Attackers. The defensive cover of this base is not as important, as it is not likely to be defended (we used the back of a pickup truck at one point). The location of this base is also known to both teams. The Attackers may position themselves anywhere in or around the location of their base before the game begins.

The bases must be a medium distance apart (preferably 4 or 5 houses apart) so that at the start of the game, the Attackers cannot see the Defenders and vice versa.

Actual Gameplay

The game begins with the making of an extremely loud noise by the Attackers (I prefer the classic Chewbacca scream). The Attackers' job is to capture the flag from the Defenders's base and return it to theirs. The Defenders must use any method at their disposal to prevent them from doing so.

The Attackers can win by: 1) Returning the flag to their base
2) Killing every Defender *

The Defenders can win by 1) Killing every Attacker *
2) Allowing 25 min to elapse without the flag being returned.

The Attackers have a significantly more difficult job because...

1) They must cross twice the distance between the bases to return their flag

2) The Defenders can fortify their position or prepare an ambush

...therefore, the gameplay must be balanced by giving the attackers more players or awarding them more points for an offensive win.

NOTE: The distance between the bases is crucial. When placing bases, they must be close enough so that returning the flag is a plausible option fo the Attackers, and yet not an easy task to accomplish. The game will fail if the Attackers always choose to kill every defender instead of attempting to capture the flag.

* Determining a Kill

We use strict OHK rules for our Assault games. Any water from an enemy soaker that makes contact with a player "kills" him/her.

*After Being Killed

After a player is dead, he must adhere to the following rules:

1) The player must move away from the heat of battle and place his/her weapon (or captured flag) on the ground. The player cannot re-enter combat untill the end of the match.
2) The player may not shoot or be shot at.
3) The player may not give their weapon to anyone else.
4) The player may not give hints to other participants as to where a team is located or other vital matters that pertain to the out come of the match.

NOTE: If a player is killed while running with the flag, he/she MUST leave the flag in the EXACT position of the kill. Afterwards, possesion of the flag can then only be attained by the Attackers. A Defender may never touch the flag.

NOTE: Being dead is not all that bad. The matches only last about 20 min. because of the small scale involved. The whole idea behind OHK is to give people incentive to dodge / hide.

NOTE: This game mode truly fails when there are large numbers involved. Because of the nature of the kill system, the flag capturing system, and human nature, games with more people that 6 v 6 are almost guaranteed to end up in a primitive soakfest (unless you have more than 12 truly dedicated water warriors). I know this from expereience as I tried to organize a 10 v 10 Assault game once.

This mode truly succeeds when both teams know how to use the advantages they have at their disposal. For example, I vividly remember how, during a night battle, 1337 5k337 stealthfully mauled both me and another player with his XP 310. Although we had superior weapons (I had a cps 2700 and my friend had a cps 1000) and superior numbers, we didn't even have the chance to open fire because he masterfully hid himself in the shadows of a my friend's backyard. The fact that the Defenders have the opportunity to "dig in" (as in Civ 4), greatly affects gameplay and outcome.

So, any feedback?

Edited By FinalFantasizer on 1148827634
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS 3000 (w/ MI:Overload Backpack)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 27, 2006 10:19 pm

Interesting, seems like a mix of scenario and capture the flag. Nice unique game type! I've thought of a dozen 1HK games, but would not of come up with this. Nice job explaining the rules as well.

In a suburban setting, the defense would enjoy a huge advantage because the offense would be deprived of certain types of weapons. Due to there being houses, the offense could not shell the defenders with launchers. Putting this in a woodsy setting would make things interesting, then you would have artillery action on either or both sides. 25 minutes is quite short though, making the offensive task difficult. I'm assuming you would run this several times, switching roles every time, to come up with a score based on how many scenarios were won.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sun May 28, 2006 9:46 am

Yes. I forgot to mention that after each match is over, the teams switch their roles. Personnaly, I do not know how launchers would affect this game, because I do not have one. The defence does have agreat advantage, so we have tried to balance the gameplay in many ways. We found that giving the attack team more people or better weapons tends to smooth out the game.

During one game, there was only one Attacker and one Defender left alive. The sole Defender (armed with a cps 1500) was hidden between three thickets and a fence ( being dead on the Defensive team, even I could not see him). The sole Attacker (armed with a cps 2500 and unaware of the dearth of Defenders) decided to wait in hiding untill he thought the Defence would let their guard down. He waited for what seemed like 40 or so minutes, and at that point, everyone (including the dead) took up arms to flush out the coward and tell him the game was over. The 25 minute rule was implemented to prevent people from doing this; of course, it should be adjusted based on the amount of people and the distance between the bases.
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

Dacca

Post by Dacca » Sun May 28, 2006 9:56 am

not bad at all. most FPS gamers know of assault type gameplay (unreal toruny anyone?) but that was a good write up. the main problem with any OHK games is the determining of a hit, but you took care of that in the rule set. my only question would be what happenes in the case of a dispute? that is the one of the biggest problems in any OHK games.
more reliable then a max-D trigger

FinalFantasizer

Post by FinalFantasizer » Sun May 28, 2006 10:03 am

Yes, disputes have occured several times. Disputes are taken care of with a sort of "conference" between the people who saw what happened; usually, an agreement is reached. One of the most difficult problems for us is the "double impact", where two players kill each other approximately at the same time and argue that "I hit you first". pretty much, the best way to settle a dispute is to use witnesses.
Armory:

CPS 12000
CPS 21000
CPS 27000
CPS 12000 (in the works)
CPS Splashzooka
SC Big trouble
XP 310 & 270
MI Flash Flood
MI Overload
Douchenator

1337 5k337

Post by 1337 5k337 » Sun May 28, 2006 10:21 am

just make sure the defensive base isn't in some fat person's yard, we had a problem with a homeowner during a large scale water war; the best location is probably a participant's backyard, or have the water war when everyone's at work!:cool:
a true sniper will wait any length necessary to get a kill, even if his freinds go and have 2 water wars in the meantime...without him...

SilentGuy

Post by SilentGuy » Sun May 28, 2006 10:46 am

Sounds quite a bit like 1-flag CTF, but it's still a good article. However, I suggest that the Defenders should be allowed to touch the flag and return it to their base, as this isn't that silly 2-flag CTF version in which you're immune on your side. In other words, it doesn't matter for the Attackers how close the Defenders get to the flag, as you can easily shoot them. The problem, of course, arises when the Defenders hide the flag somewhere...

However, you should incorporate the use of "prisons." Basically, once you're shot, you have to go to the other team's base, but you can't be freed until the game is over.

Disputes shouldn't happen when the teams comprise dedicated and trustworthy water warriors. However, if two people shoot each other at the same time, they should both be "killed"--it's like in video games, where you throw a grenade at somebody (or in Halo or SWBF2, you stick 'em), and then he shoots you. If this grenade/gun situation happens in real life or in a video game, both people die. Of course, water balloons explode immediately upon impact, so the grenade situation shouldn't happen too often.

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 28, 2006 10:56 am

Clause II-7: Players have the right to dispute a kill if it is not clearly a kill. This action automatically halts gameplay and both teams must meet to "parley" and work out the dispute. Gameplay does NOT resume until a kill dispute is resolved

This is how our local teams sort out kill disputes. The most important thing is to stop gameplay while this is going on, and make sure everyone knows that the game will not resume until a dispute is settled.

In kill exchanges, both players are sometimes counted dead. However, if someone clearly shot first, there is only one kill. We judge these on an individual basis.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Stencil

Post by Stencil » Sun May 28, 2006 11:04 am

Dude where the hell did water balloons come from.

However "Assault" is a bit like 1 CTF.

However Assault is a :

A military attack, such as one launched against a fortified area or place.
The concluding stage of an attack in which close combat occurs with the enemy.

It has nothing to to with a purpose, only to attack.

:cps1000: | :p

Maddermadcat

Post by Maddermadcat » Sun May 28, 2006 1:19 pm

A lot like Unreal Tournament's assault mode. Anyway, it is different, and a very good idea. As in Unreal Tournament, perhaps when the defenders switch with the attackers, they would have to complete the objective within the time it took the attackers to complete it? Just a thought.
The nonsensical leader of the Snow Cats.
Now the proud owner of a flash flood with an aquapack!

Stencil

Post by Stencil » Sun May 28, 2006 2:01 pm

If you could invent a two handed puzzle for the attackers to complete, then the defenders switch and have to complete it quicker. Of course it will be defended and in a fort/base.

That would be perfect.

:;):

1337 5k337

Post by 1337 5k337 » Mon May 29, 2006 10:33 am

silent guy's idea for defenders being able to recapture flag from attackers is a good idea, but the attackers usually make sure a VERY fast person takes the flag back to their base, the defenders really have no chance of catching the attackers at that point, so good idea in theory, but not in practice, and having a jail is too much of a hassle, so you could do it, but theres no point

Edited By 1337 5k337 on 1148925849
a true sniper will wait any length necessary to get a kill, even if his freinds go and have 2 water wars in the meantime...without him...