OHK vs Tagged games - Scoring systems for tournaments

Water warfare game types, ideas, rules, organization, etc.
isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:20 am

To get away from soakfests and step towards the realm of more organized water warfare, an elimination (or point) system is needed.

Two main methods for determining who has been eliminated (or counts as a point) appear most popular: One-Hit-Kills and Tag-based eliminations.

As One-Hit-Kills implies, a single solid stream hit counts as a point. Slight variations with this rule arise to state whether glancing shots count or the size of a wet spot must be produced to count as a hit/point. The main limitation with OHK games is that it requires all players to be honest and fair with what is considered a successful hit.

For tag-based systems, some sort of water soluble or wetness-indicator is needed. If the tag is blasted off or chages colour, the player is considered hit / a point is awarded. This system is more objective since the tag serves as the judge, but is still potentially vulnerable to other forms of cheating (i.e. continuing to battle even after being tagged if this is not permitted in the game rules).

There may be other systems as well, but these are the two that have been discussed more on the various forums.

That said, what sort of hit/scoring system would work best for national and/or international scale water warfare tournaments? OHK games or tag based games or something else? If you have an idea for a better hit / scoring system, please post it here.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:58 am

I would go with OHK, since soakfests have no clear winner. As long as I can get back in in a minute or so, I'm totally ok with being "killed". :p Huge water wars would be insanely fun, but the parental units aren't going to let me go to some place 1000 miles away to play with a bunch of people I have never met. Maybe when I'm in college or something. ;)

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:19 am

Hmm, possibly a few different levels with different variations? Under our fist-sized kill and dispute resolution rules, wars have been so much smoother than ever before. But I'm not sure if this works for any age range or any type of people. The system works if the "enemy" teams are made of friends and typically tend to be on the older end of the age spectrum. Thus the honor system also is able to work, and the system of parley between teams in order to work out kill disputes.

So maybe a competition of national stature should base the rules on the maturity of the teams. There are those who would never stoop low enough to put on some tag, which to some people indicates lack of faith in that person's ability to be honest and therefore is a slight to them. Plus, it has got to be ridiculously hard to score on tags in an intense battle. It is already next to impossible to score kills in our wars. You have to work hard for a score of even 1-0. I don't think we will be seeing many of last year's 4-4, 5-3 scores this year. ???
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:39 pm

I don't typically trust people, so a tag based system - something indisputable - would be best. Especially if some sort of monetary (or other) reward is involved, best to eliminate the possibility of dishonesty.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:17 pm

Thing is, I'm thinking, for more 'official' tournaments, there would be some sort of judge or referee on the field in either case.

If it were a tag, are dissolvable or colour change or some other form of tag preferred?

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:43 pm

They used to have waterguns in the 80s that used paint that will be mixed in the water. The Zap It guns I believe. Non-toxic, non-harmfull and will disapear from clothing after a while or after they got washed. In other words they still squirt with water but leave better stains. That usualy prevents cheaters(and most people are cheaters but have not been caught) from pretending they didn't get hit. I would like that method of tagging someone, since single tags just simply are limiting when aiming.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:58 pm

I had thought of the good ol' disappearing ink sort of stuff, but opted not to suggest it at first since I'm not sure about what is in that stuff, I'm not sure how safe that stuff is for water blaster internals, and I just haven't seen such liquid sold much these days.

While definitely easier to use than tagging, it's the added complications that would need to be worked out first. Anyone here a good chemist?

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:45 pm

Extremely watered down bio-organic water colours might do the trick of not damaging the internals. At the end of the water fight perhaps shooting normal water through it just to rinse out things would make sure nothing will happen to them.
Now having said that, one would need light clothing for the watercolour splats to be seen.

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:37 am

After some thinking, though coloured liquids would be the most 'true' register of a stream hit, the levels of complications from having stuff in one's blaster from having it blasted onto one's face/eyes. Bio-organic or not, few coloured things (I actually can't think of any, at the moment) would be something one would want to get in one's eyes. Even if goggles were required for the tournament, with the possibility of accidents, I'd rather avoid the problems of dealing with coloured liquids.

Particularly for tournaments, there's still something nice about just sticking to good ol' clean water.

Dr. D

Post by Dr. D » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:24 am

isoaker_com wrote:After some thinking, though coloured liquids would be the most 'true' register of a stream hit, the levels of complications from having stuff in one's blaster from having it blasted onto one's face/eyes. Bio-organic or not, few coloured things (I actually can't think of any, at the moment) would be something one would want to get in one's eyes. Even if goggles were required for the tournament, with the possibility of accidents, I'd rather avoid the problems of dealing with coloured liquids.

Particularly for tournaments, there's still something nice about just sticking to good ol' clean water.

Bio organic? hmmmm.... There's always the Oozinator..... :oo:

Hey isoaker, not to be blatant, but are you trying to set up a national tournament? Just wondering ^_^
n00b friend: "Nice SP 270!"
Me: "Uhh, it's
XP."
n00b friend: "Oh yeah! Nice SP 270 XP!"

Current Official USF Armory: Monster X, CPS 4100, CPS 2500 (shotgun), CPS 2100 (x3), CPS 1500, CPS 1200 (x3), CPS 1000, MI Flash Flood (x3) STE Flash Flood (x2) WW Orca