1 Hit Kill - rules, tactics and everything else

Water warfare game types, ideas, rules, organization, etc.
Simmo

Post by Simmo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:25 am

I posted this topic for two reasons, 1) I like the idea of 1HK games 2) i.soaker posted a topic relating to rules and regulations on soaker games but no one replied to the topic and it is now locked. I think the topic was great and should be turned into a rules/game type article so I figured I'll get things started again with a sub-section of 1HK ramble.

The aim of the game is to not get hit, let us know how you personally go about this.
Also some different takes on the game, i.e. rule changes or different 1HK scenarios would be great.

I'll post some ideas and tactics when I have a bit more time.

Simmo :cps2500:
100oz of diplomacy.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:48 am

There are no "universal" rules for 1HK. Certain teams have modified rules for their skill level and method of fighting. Here's how the Ridgewood Militia and Waterbridge do it:

.A hit must be at least the size of your fist in order for it to count as a kill
.Only a hit on the shirt counts
.Players have unlimited lives
.1 kill = 1 point
.Going out of bounds = 1 kill against your team
.The team with the most points [kills] at the end wins [obviously]
.Falling in a body of water = suicide, so that's 1 kill against your team
.Soaking yourself = suicide, so that's 1 kill against your team
.Leakage from your gun that is fist-sized on your shirt = suicide, so that's 1 kill against your team
.Intentional cheating = 2 kills against your team, or automatic forfeit
.Shields are obviously banned
Blah, blah, blah....

One cannot afford to have too weak a weapon under our rules, otherwise they have no chance. We use the honor system, and it works surprisingly well. Disputed kills get worked out via "parley." :laugh:
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

hunter

Post by hunter » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:55 pm

I dont really do 1HK battles, because all my friends make a lot of noise when I snipe them from 45 ft with my cps 1700. :laugh:
Stealth over speed. Accuracy over firepower. Coordination over chaos.

Only the arrogant claim they do not make mistakes in combat, hence they never learn.

"I have the two greatest weapons: time and patience."

marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Post by marauder » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:53 am

Spray does not count as a hit

1 kill = 2 points
1 loss = -1 point
1 flag capture = 10 points

The team with the most points at the end of the battle wins. Time of the game is predetermined prior to playing. Sometimes we just play until one team annihilates the other.

PS: Hydrowar is updated... check it out.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:30 pm

I honestly don't like 1hk and most people when they think of a water fight they think of a soakfest and to all you guys who think that soakfests require all fire power and no tactics your wrong soakfests require the same amount of tactics if not more than 1hk. To win a 1hk you need to hit the person once to win a soakfest you need to hit the person multiple times it's very difficult i should know i always play soakfests i consider 1hk as a training exersize and not a type of water war.
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:46 pm

I honestly don't like 1hk and most people when they think of a water fight they think of a soakfest and to all you guys who think that soakfests require all fire power and no tactics your wrong soakfests require the same amount of tactics if not more than 1hk. To win a 1hk you need to hit the person once to win a soakfest you need to hit the person multiple times it's very difficult i should know i always play soakfests i consider 1hk as a training exersize and not a type of water war.

There are limited tactics in a soakfest. All you have to do is stand there and blast away. I've been in sooo many water fights, both soakfest and 1HK, and there is no comparison tactics-wise. Why would you bother flanking in a soakfest? Double envelopment? Ambushing? All you're doing is trying to outsoak the enemy, not out-manuever them. And yes, you have to hit them multiple times in 1HK! Lives make it more interesting, few play 1HK where one is eliminated on the first kill.

Hitting someone multiple times in a soakfest difficult? How? it's a soakfest, nobody cares about getting hit, it's about how badly you get hit and how much water you take. Engagements happen from less than 20ft. away.

Scoring a kill in 1HK takes more patience, more energy, devotion to not wanting to get hit. Against a smart enemy it can take hours just to get one kill. You have to carefully calculate your moves, know how to counter your enemy's strategies, and one mistake can cost you the battle. A great start, huge lead, and confidence can be thrown away in one ambush at the very end of the war. Anyone can succeed in a soakfest, but it takes more than a big gun to come off the 1HK battlefield victorious.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:46 pm

Duxburian wrote:it takes more than a big gun to come off the 1HK battlefield victorious.

If by big gun you mean the cps 2000,2500,3000,3200 monster X and monster XL i will tell you why these guns are bad in a soakfest

cps 2000 Lot's of pumps bad shot time, can get shot while pumping

cps 2500 Lot's of pumps bad shot time, can get shot while pumping

cps 3000 heavy, bad range, can't dodge shot's easily

cps 3200 heavy, bad range , can't dodge shot's easily

monster X Bad range (2000 model has bad shot time)

monster XL heavy, lots of pumps, bad range

Range shot time and wieght all matter in a soakfest and they require alot of tactics and the majority of people think a water fight is a soakfest so soakfests are more popular than 1hk.

Edited By LIGHT ANNIHILATOR on 1125413089
E3:2006: Tune to G4 for live E3 coverage in May for info on the hottest new consoles and games.

Magnor

Post by Magnor » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:51 am

Does anyone here mind if I use these rules in my upcoming rough draft of Tournament Water Warfare ? I love the ideas, and they can be nicely incorporated into it!
By the way, check out the Rules for my newly invented SoakFest-esque game in the Draft Soaker Rules thread. Input on all the games there is desired. So head on over and ctritique the rules as much as possible!

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:03 pm

Output matters more in a soakfest than range, weight, or shot time. I've heard that "range does not matter at all" in a soakfest in previous arguments over 1HK/soakfest.

All of those "big guns" have at least a 10x, most have 20x. And taking only tap shots removes the pumping disadvantage. Those above guns also have large capacity, another very important stat in soakfests. I've never used any kind of tactics in past soakfests. All I did was soak. :cool:

How does popularity matter? 1HK will always remain a favorite of hardcore teams. If only hardcore teams play it, then that's enough. I couldn't care less which is played more, or which is more "popular." All that matters is both remain valid options. :cool:

Edited By Duxburian on 1125421687

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:37 pm

Light Annihilator, while the guns you listed all of have some slight disadvantages, can you really think of better options? It is best to use large guns in soakfests, as capacity and PC size are the most important factors. And by the way, the guns that you listed as "bad range" all have excellent ranges.

1HK of course uses more tatics. For one thing, you can't really tell who wins a soakfest anyway.
ownage

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:41 pm

The point i am trying to make is that soakfests require alot of tactics. Recently i had a 1v1 soakfest me and my cps 2100 vs my friend who had a ww lighting i used tactics such as shooting from cover, sneak attacks ,getting them while there pumping, etc, and he was just charging in to my range with the lighting's largest nozzle and you know what happend. He was soaked from head to toe and i just had a few drops on my shirt. I also fought my other friend he had a 2100 he was just charging in unloading the entire pc all at once i used the same tactics i used in my other battles and he got drenched while i only had a few drops on my shirt. So in my war's if you dont use tactics you will lose lose real bad.

Edited By LIGHT ANNIHILATOR on 1125423742

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:40 pm

Those aren't really tactics, that's common sense. Of course you use cover, hit them while they're pumping, etc. Real tactics are like retreating to spring a trap, flanking a position on 3 sides to force movement, demonstrating in one's front in order to launch an attack in the rear, etc.

And the guns listed as "bad range" have ok range, but not really excellent. 40s is ok, upper 40s is good, 50 and over is excellent, IMHO. More and more and more guns can now shoot 50 and above, so the bar really should be raised, again IMHO.

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:58 pm

It was 1v1 so i can't flank the enemy on 2 or more sides. And even if i wanted to play 1hk i could'nt because most of the people i find myself in a water war with are complete idiot's who would not follow 1hk rules and deny being hit. And what do you mean by "more and more and more guns can now shoot 50 and above" there has not even been one gun released in the past 3 years that can even make it to 40 ft

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:14 pm

Of course companies haven't released anything with even good range in the last 3 years. Integration modding has created 40 "new" guns, of which 20 could possibly shoot 50ft. The PVC Piston Pumper homemade can hit 54ft. The APR 3000 and higher should hit 50ft easily. It is now easier to get a gun shooting 50ft, without power mods, as there are more options.

A door into the future is now wide open, but most aren't aware of it yet.

Edited By Duxburian on 1125429389

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:46 pm

You can't really use tactics in a 1v1 game, IMO. I would say that using cover, dodging, ect are skills, not tactics. Also, one of the beauties of 1HK soaking is that it is very hard to deny being hit, because of the telltale splotch of water.

Duxburian, I don't think that integration modding can catch on, because the guns that are required are so rare.

That aside, it would be nice if a better indicator for when someone is out was developed. Something better than the soakertags, those are ridiculous.
ownage

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:34 pm

Well they would still not play by the rules. Next year i will try it i guess i don't like 1hk because i don't get to play it
either that or it's because the heavy cannon's i like are useless in 1hk.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:49 pm

Not exactly useless. My CPS 2500 was my main weapon for lots of battles until recently. Most smaller guns don't have good range, so most large guns are perfectly fine for 1HK. Depends on the skill of your enemy, and what guns they've got.

LIGHT ANNIHILATOR

Post by LIGHT ANNIHILATOR » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:55 pm

Yeah the 2500's good even in a soakfest due to the 20x

Mr.PeterStevens

Post by Mr.PeterStevens » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:19 pm

Duxburian wrote:
Scoring a kill in 1HK takes more patience, more energy, devotion to not wanting to get hit. Against a smart enemy it can take hours just to get one kill. You have to carefully calculate your moves, know how to counter your enemy's strategies...[\quote]

Hello all,

Nice little corner of the ether you have here, very informative.

I've been lurking for about the past month, since the end of Streetwars 05. Searching for a possible second soaker for next years game.

I was really impressed by the ingenuity here. Caring mostly for distance I was pretty tempted by the valve freeze and the k-mod on the 2100 (I followed it fine until the reinforcing the internals thing).
However, truth be told, in SW (as you are probably aware) almost all kills are within 40 feet, so a good stock gun will take care of almost any situation.
I wound up buying a broken flash flood, and fixing it using the info I found in the workshop. That added with my Liquidator from this years game and I feel I have a good combo. The Liquidator alone was good enough this year.

Dux, when your 19 I want you on my team. Certainly seems like you have what it takes.

~m

Edited By Mr.PeterStevens on 1127175727

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:41 pm

@ Mr.PeterStevens: Welcome to the board!

Sounds like you've made good use of the various information around. As for the comment on wanting Dux on your team, hehe, he seems like he'd be an excellent asset in almost any soaker battle, unless, of course, he's on an opposing team! :goofy:

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .: