Extra Gear - What to bring

For support, refilling, personal, strategic, and misc. equipment used during a water fight.
Falcon

Post by Falcon » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:49 am

Veteran wrote:Definetly bring a blaster shield. They turn the tide in every water war I've used them in. It eliminates range as a variable.
Uh, I wouldn't say that it completely eliminates range as a variable. Sure, shields can be effective at blocking your enemy's attacks, but if your enemy is firing a volley of water balloons or 5x or greater blasts from a hill, cliff or some other place up high with a long range blaster, you can't cover your whole body at once, unless you have some kind of waterproof turtle shell. :laugh:

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Yes, you actually CAN block a "volly of water balloons from uphill) With a blaster shield. Read the article and you'll understand.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:49 pm

Well, sure you can, but they're not very effective if the enemy is attacking from two or more sides. Then they're only useful for your front. This may be the only situation that the XP-Backfire is the best gun to use. :laugh:

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:37 pm

Thats true, but range is basically eliminated from a normal perspective.

Field Marshal Yang

Post by Field Marshal Yang » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:42 pm

Falcon wrote:you can't cover your whole body at once, unless you have some kind of waterproof turtle shell. :laugh:
That got me thinking for moment before I thought of a great idea. How about creating those shields for your entire team and form a roman tortoise formation that uses the shields to cover the front, top, and sides of your team? Only the people holding the front and side shields should have blaster holes and with that, an enemy attack from any direction can be met with streams of water from your team. Of course, the team would have to have enough people to form a complete "tortoise".
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fate of Human Societies, by Jared Diamond

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:46 pm

What would stop you from blocking all of their blasts from uphill? Tell me man, it covers the ENTIRE front of your body.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:52 pm

What if they're attacking FROM BOTH SIDES?! :-O

Then again, in that case, you're screwed with or without a shield. :laugh:

Edited By Soakologist on 1089780766

Veteran

Post by Veteran » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:09 am

He said from uphill, not from both sides. I was adressing a different scenarios.

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:10 pm

Adrian wrote:Cargo pants give me more options in terms of carrying things, and they protect my legs from mosquitos (which is a big thing where I live).

If you live near Wisconsin's peninsula, I can see why. :oo:

Anyway, I always wear camouflage cargo pants, a camo BDU jacket, and a camo boonie hat. I just spray all this stuff with mosquito repellent, and I'm all set. As for other gear, I have a small nylon bag for my backup blaster, my leatherman, some waterballoons, and for day missions, I bring sunglasses.

Edited By Space_Cowboy on 1089832249
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...

SilverFist

Post by SilverFist » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:52 pm

I personally don't like the ideas of having shields in a water fight. Water fights are suppose to be about running around and soaking your friend with water, and I believe having shields will take away some of that fun. I mean, if you are so interested in blocking water blasts, why not wear a rain coat instead?

Exodus

Post by Exodus » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:04 pm

Well, wearing a raincoat eliminates your body getting wet, whereas a shield you have to manuever it around. So wearing a a raincoat disposes of the fun of trying to dodge, because your body can't get wet anyway. And shields can block water balloons. Raincoats can block you from the water iside the water balloons, but not from the impact which may hurt if thrown hard enough.

Triforce Elite

Post by Triforce Elite » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:20 pm

I like to use shields because once it saved me from getting soaked.The only bit of me that got wet was my hair from a single water bomb. :soakon:
you know those really annoying people? don't you just feel like soaking them?:cps1500:

Space_Cowboy

Post by Space_Cowboy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:29 pm

Exodus wrote:Well, wearing a raincoat eliminates your body getting wet, whereas a shield you have to manuever it around. So wearing a a raincoat disposes of the fun of trying to dodge, because your body can't get wet anyway. And shields can block water balloons. Raincoats can block you from the water iside the water balloons, but not from the impact which may hurt if thrown hard enough.

My friend tried using a rainsuit, so we aimed for the collar area of his coat, and it leaked down inside. Rain coats keep water in just as well as they keep water out. :goofy: They also chafe really bad if it's hot out. :oo:

Edited By Space_Cowboy on 1089862201
With a name like Manhole Mayhem, it has to be good...

Peeko

Post by Peeko » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:13 am

(Back on topic) I would bring 2 1 litre bottles (in case I drop one) , a towel ,a drinking bottle and a smallish blaster shield. :cps3000:

Edited By Peeko on 1090909959
I am one with the water

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:29 pm

Field Marshal Yang wrote:Many of the old-timers here like to wear camo or other military-style outdoor gear. I'd like to go to an army surplus store and get a green army jacket.

old-timers? jeez, i'm only 12 and i wear camo. 'course, i just found most of it in the garage... (my jacket is mine)

any ways,
i'd bring:
camo army jacket and pants
pocketknife
string
tape
small towel
extra water
water balloons(filed & unfilled)
shades
flashlight
2-way radio
sidearms (either Twin XP220s or Twin storm 500s)
first aid kit
bug spray
hat
bottle rockets for signals

edit:
boonie hat
bug net
lighter
landmines
water baloons
extra water
GPS
fan

Edited By BlueMage on 1091476278
-The Wizard of Water

Barca

Post by Barca » Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:39 pm

Hmm... This could turn out to be a long list. To start I have one of those 2-in-1 cammleback water storage packs/camping daypack so I dont carry any more water then that (it holds 6 liters). In the pack part of the backpack I generally carry a camoflouge tarp, an extra tan tee-shirt (the kind you see SEAL's using during training) a waterproof container of some sort (for money, sunglasses, cell phone, spare batteries... you get the idea) and my backup gun to my backup. On the front hooked up to my ALICE pack depending on the seriousness of the fight I have those little snapper things you always see on Fourth of July, a sports bottle with Gatorade or equivilant, face paint kit in case of touchups, and sometimes smoke canisters, again depending on seriousness. On my belt I have these little two-way radio's with voice activated headsets for my team, a prepaid cellphone, and my sidearm, generally a XP-70, and a flashlight in my pocket. Over my facepaint, if im wearing any I use my Oakleys if its sunny and im not in the woods (which almost all the battle take place in) and for my uniform my whole team of six has the same BDU that I picked up, either black or woodland camo pattern with a dark green and lighter brown pattern reversable. For boots I use either Oakley military boots or just plain sneakers. Anyhow I tend to take my waterfights pretty serious as do my mates that participate with me, our team of six or so versus up to about 14 or so...
"By the House of Barca may there be eternal enmity towards Rome." Barcid Forever.

Soakologist

Post by Soakologist » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:40 pm

Shoes, IMHO, are one of the most important parts of the outfit. I'm going to make some recommendations for each position on SKG when it opens...

Barca

Post by Barca » Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:15 am

Agreed, although it does depend on some key factors, I.E. length, terrain, and how serious said engagement is. For some no shoes at all might be appropriate and for other sandals might work. In most of the ones I participate in the battleground is in heavily wooded forest type terrain so I prefer combat boots, they are extremely comfortable for long distances, they are very durable, and they have good traction and little noise when running through brush.
"By the House of Barca may there be eternal enmity towards Rome." Barcid Forever.

BlueMage

Post by BlueMage » Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:49 pm

where do you get voice activated headsets? i need one of those.
-The Wizard of Water

Adrian

Post by Adrian » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:51 pm

Sandals are bad for all water warfare, IMO, no matter what the terrain. They let stuff under your feet (sand, leaves, twigs), and they make more noise than shoes. I prefer to fight barefoot (or wearing shoes) in suburban settings, and wear shoes for forest fighting.

Adrian
“To achieve a World Government it is necessary to remove from their minds their individualism, their loyalty to family traditions, national patriotism and religious dogma.”…..Brock Adams, Director, United Nations Health Organisation.