2013 in Review: League Edition

Development of the WaterWar.net League.
HBWW
WWN League Team: Havoc

2013 in Review: League Edition

Post by HBWW » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:43 am

Since there's not that much going on here, I'd like to butt in and discuss a few things.

First, what are others' thoughts on 2013 vs. previous years? What have we learned and achieved this year that we didn't have in previous years? I'd like to know, since this was my first season in the League, hopefully of many to come.

Second, there was discussion about reorganizing the structure and forums of the League. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do about this since I'm not signed onto League leadership. (That part is up to you guys.) Anyway, my main thoughts were to consolidate things and re-think how we handle points and submissions, but I don't have any ideas in particular right now. What I would like however, is if we expanded submissions past focusing on war reports. Give bonus points for war reports accompanied by photos, maps, videos, etc. for example.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

marauder

Re: 2013 in Review: League Edition

Post by marauder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:13 am

We need more submissions for non community wars. That is the biggest issue that I see. If you battled but didn't submit a war report - why not?

I am going to open up another topic about that very subject, asking people how often they battled this year, and then I am going to try to use the topic to ask people why they didn't talk about it on the forums.

I think people may be confused about what the league actually is. My vision is such that it's basically just any and all waterwarfare that our members participate in, and so I want to reach out to anyone who fought this year but didn't write about it on the boards, or at least in this forum.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

SEAL
WWN League Team: Catskill Mountain SEALs

Post by SEAL » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:40 am

I thought we ditched the point system and were going to hand out awards at the end of the year for best war story, best photo, best mod, etc. The trouble is, like marauder said, aside from the big wars, this community wasn't really that active this year. In 2011 there were many people participating, then 2012 saw a drop in activity, and this year it's been pretty much nobody but war attendees participating. I'm sure that others have fought, but why bother submitting a battle report if it was just a half-hour long soakfest? Maybe some would, but not many. I don't usually write reports for my small battles because there isn't much to say. I doubt many would want to read about 15-minute 2v1 or FFA 1HK games anyway. They usually go something like: stalk around for a few minutes, find the enemy, then fight until somebody dies. They're fun, but not particularly exciting to write/read about. I suspect it's the same deal with others.

In my opinion, the community is too small to support a League like we want. We can still do it, but I think we should forget about prizes for now, because we (meaning the mod team/regulars) would pretty much just be giving them to ourselves.
~Hotel Oscar Golf~

We probably won't be back, but the legacy lives on.

marauder

Post by marauder » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:42 am

Here is the topic for how often you battled: http://www.waterwar.net/site_wwn/board/post56666.html

This will be an integral part of examining the league this year, but it is different enough to warrant its own topic. Also, half hour soakfests can still generate great war stories.
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

the oncoming storm

Post by the oncoming storm » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:39 pm

If you battled but didn't submit a war report - why not?
Because they weren't note-worthy and so I didn't feel like taking the time to write them up when we weren't giving out league prizes.
If you ever bother reading these, I worry for your mental sanity. :oo: