Official League Patch Development Thread

Development of the WaterWar.net League.
marauder
WWN League Team: Havoc

Official League Patch Development Thread

Post by marauder » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Water warriors, we need your help! We have the basic graphic for the league patch, but it needs coloring. If you have a graphics program, please help out. Take the base graphic, add some color to it, maybe some shapes, a seperate color border, look at some military patches or family crests, whatever you think looks good.

Please post all patch colorings/prototypes in this thread so we can finish this! Thank you!
https://hydrowar.wordpress.com/
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

isoaker

Re: Official Leage Patch Development Thread

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:03 pm

Y'know, I really like this almost as is. I'd recommend cleaning it up and vectorizing it so that the line edges are cleaner.
Now, it does need the words "WaterWar.net League" together with it, though.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com .:

isoaker

Re: Official League Patch Development Thread

Post by isoaker » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Ok.. here's vectorized (Illustrator file available for those interested) - if you want the file, PM me and I'll email it to you.
wwn_league_patch.jpg
wwn_league_patch.jpg (91.67 KiB) Viewed 8146 times
and an initial color concept:
wwn_league_patchColor.jpg
wwn_league_patchColor.jpg (671.58 KiB) Viewed 8146 times

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Some parts of the image could really use cleanup from where it wasn't cut up neatly. Unfortunately, I don't have all that much time to work on it right now but if you (iSoaker) send me the source file, I can have a look at what I can do. (Or I could vectorize it myself which won't take very long, and then work on it from there.)
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

Discord: m0useCat

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:14 pm

CA99 wrote:Some parts of the image could really use cleanup from where it wasn't cut up neatly. Unfortunately, I don't have all that much time to work on it right now but if you (iSoaker) send me the source file, I can have a look at what I can do. (Or I could vectorize it myself which won't take very long, and then work on it from there.)
I'd say if you can, go for vectorizing, yourself. I did a quick conversion and you may be able to do a cleaner job. Otherwise, can definitely send you the Illustrator file.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Yeah, it looks like you went Magic Wand - Convert to Path (or the equivilent of that in Illustrator.)

Anyway, I'm busy with class projects, but if I get something done I will upload it here. I'm having a look at it right now.

Edit: Return to Sender. This is what I have for now. I removed the "break" caused by the center figure (which can be done better easily if we need it), and I gave the figure with the XP 150 to the left a left foot/shoe. (Though it doesn't look right lol.)
lp.png
lp.png (366.89 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
Edit: Takes a few clicks to restore the outline blocking effect. Unfortunately, I can't make it transparent without rasterizing it but it works perfectly with a solid color.
lp.png
lp.png (389.82 KiB) Viewed 8134 times
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:40 pm

The changes look great. Could you shift the players slightly right? I think I had them a little off center. Now we just need WWN League or some equivalent written up top.
SEAL wrote:If you ain't bloody and muddy by the end of the day, you went to a Nerf war.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm not quite done; there's a few other touch-ups/additions I'd like to make where I can before finalizing it. I'll let you know when it's ready but will upload previews in the meantime.

FYI to anyone who'd edit: The uploaded .png file is the source file. If you have Fireworks you can edit it.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

atvan

Post by atvan » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:15 pm

The new foot looks messed up, but otherwise, it looks really nice.

Now we need to get an actual logo.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:57 pm

It would probably look a little cooler if you outlined the red and blue ones in black.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:28 pm

Shark, thanks for your suggestion. Updated.
lp.png
lp.png (500.97 KiB) Viewed 8117 times
Edit: Made more minor adjustments.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:29 am

That looks amazing.
CA99 wrote:It's funny because you can get 5 water bottles and a pencil for much less than $90.

atvan

Post by atvan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:06 am

That looks really nice! The only things that bug me about it are the stunted foot of the blue guy and the merged feet of the red guy. Otherwise, there is really nothing bad about it.
DX wrote:In the neanderthal days of K-modding, people would lop off the whole PRV
Well, not that much soakage.
Beware the Purple

DX

Post by DX » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:10 am

My only complaints are that you can't see red's guns and blue guy's neck is like a hood.
marauder wrote:You have to explain things in terms that kids will understand, like videogames^ That's how I got Sam to stop using piston pumpers

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:20 pm

This one kills two birds with one stone; you can see red's guns and the problems with the feet mentioned earlier are no longer relevant.

Can't do much about blue's head. I made a few slight adjustments but it came as it is and I'm not deleting it and doing it from scratch because the result will be worse. (Kind of like his foot lol.)
lp.png
lp.png (499.05 KiB) Viewed 8103 times
Edit: Removed shading from WWn droplet icon. Also made one minor adjustment to a "glitch" caused when vectorizing the image.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Nicely done, CA99!

My only request is to remove the shading/fill from the WaterWar.net droplet image. That should just be the line-art.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:20 pm

Done. (Your droplet image, your call.) Edited the above post. I may eventually clean up and remove the previous images to save server space anyway.

The last thing left is the shield icon. If anyone wants to change its shape, now is the time. I could, perhaps, add some curves to the top of it rather than having the top be a simple horizontal line. Will post again if/when I have something.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

marauder

Post by marauder » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:51 am

That looks AWESOME!!! Actually, I really like the shading in the league logo. The reason the blue guys neck is like a hood is because in the orignal picture he was wearing a hoody with the hood up. The real problem is we can't see red's boobs! Haha, but with the SC 500 and the text, I know there's no other way to do this. We could always use her for something else.

HBWW

Post by HBWW » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:42 am

I added the fill to the droplet logo to have it stand out a bit more as a separate item, but on the other hand, the droplet logo technically isn't supposed to have it. That and for consistency's sake are why I complied with iSoaker's request.

As for red, I think the figure is already feminine enough. If I want to show more of that, I will have to make major edits to both white and red and I don't trust the results to come out all that well after what I tried with blue's foot.
HydroBrawl Water Warfare

isoaker

Post by isoaker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:31 pm

CA99 wrote:I added the fill to the droplet logo to have it stand out a bit more as a separate item, but on the other hand, the droplet logo technically isn't supposed to have it. That and for consistency's sake are why I complied with iSoaker's request.
Looking more at the patch design, what may help is putting the text of "WaterWar.net" onto a colored background by putting a horizontal line across the shield above the Players, but below the text to make a rectangle. The Players-area is best left white, IMO. As for the droplet logo, it is meant to be transparent or, if desired, have a glow or drop shadow. If desired, it, too, could be put onto the same colored background as whatever is chosen for going behind the "WaterWar.net" text. Just need to define the colored area by putting a horizontal line below the Players-area, but above the droplet logo. Just a thought.